Top 100 Pitchers - 2009 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top 100 Pitchers - 2009

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Top 100 Pitchers - 2009

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:22 pm

Vazquez deserves a bump up, should be top 15 at least. Lackey, Wandy, and Oswalt, up. Garza and Bedard down. I'd move Beckett into the top 5 over CC.

I think you're a bit too bullish on pitchers based off youth and upside, who are otherwise raw and still developing. The thing that jumps out to me is Kershaw at #15. The encouraging thing he's shown of late is he's wasting less pitches and going longer into games. He's a quick study and he looks like he'll finish top 15, which justifies the high ranking some. However, I'll disagree with the thought that Scherzer is a top 35 starter when he's giving only a decent 5-6 innings on the trot at best.

Also, I think that even if Kazmir, Liriano, and Ervin Santana are having shockers of a season, I'd rather take a chance on either over say, Duke, Jurrjens, and Baker. Harang is also markedly low and even though I don't see him being as good as 2006-07, he's still good for K's and decent enough ratios. Surely that's enough to move up 20-25 spots.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21674
(Past Year: 454)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not nineteen forever

Re: Top 100 Pitchers - 2009

Postby CadensDad » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:18 pm

Too High- Lee/Hamels/Wainwright/Hanson/Garza/Lackey/Webb/Oswalt/Peavy

Too Low Jurrjens/Jackson/Cain/Gallardo/Danks/Lowe(Edit on Lowe, he is not very low, just a bit lower than he should be imo, he's just having a off year I think and should bounce back.)

WAYYYYYYYYY TOO HIGH- Strasburg
Last edited by CadensDad on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5977
(Past Year: 27)
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Top 100 Pitchers - 2009

Postby bazzy_51 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:07 pm

CadensDad wrote:Too High- Lee/Hamels/Wainwright/Hanson/Garza/Lackey/Webb/Oswalt/Peavy

Too Low Jurrjens/Jackson/Cain/Gallardo/Danks/Lowe

WAYYYYYYYYY TOO HIGH- Strasburg


agreed 100%, a top 50 pitcher next year? dont think that high that quick, he has sweet stuff, but we have yet to see him in A, AA or AAA, just against college bats, lets wait and see how he does coming up through the rank and if the Nats are dumb enough to just bring him up right away it will destroy him IMO...

a nice list, but in my opinion Verlander, Lee, Lester, Wainwright, Scherzer and Garza are also too high...

bump up Jurrjens (alot of people are doubting him i think this is for real this year), Wandy, Vazquez and Gallardo at least...
Image

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2693
Joined: 4 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Top 100 Pitchers - 2009

Postby ssiknosaj909 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:26 am

just wanted to thank everyone for the input. Had no idea Webb was out all next year as well. And I did mean Andrew Miller not Adam. Thanks again guys.
ssiknosaj909
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 11
Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Top 100 Pitchers - 2009

Postby Zito is God » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:00 am

ssiknosaj909 wrote:just wanted to thank everyone for the input. Had no idea Webb was out all next year as well. And I did mean Andrew Miller not Adam. Thanks again guys.



Where in the world did you hear Webb is out for all of NEXT year? He's just out for this year unless I haven't read something new...
Image

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 4169
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Secretly advising Cashman.

Re: Top 100 Pitchers - 2009

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:04 pm

Zito is God wrote:
ssiknosaj909 wrote:just wanted to thank everyone for the input. Had no idea Webb was out all next year as well. And I did mean Andrew Miller not Adam. Thanks again guys.



Where in the world did you hear Webb is out for all of NEXT year? He's just out for this year unless I haven't read something new...


I didn't hear that either. He had a debridement procedure on his right shoulder about a week ago and will be out 3-4 months. If all goes well, he should be fine for ST.
Image
the awesome sig by soty


"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1849
Joined: 23 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Top 100 Pitchers - 2009

Postby bazzy_51 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:16 pm

High Inside Heater wrote:Vazquez, Cain, Romero all too low(Romero esp)

Carpenter(above Vazquez? really? i doubt it) Wainwright too highm. Joba i like a lot but not ready to put him there right now.

You do realize Brandon webb will miss all of next season and who knows how he comes back off that surgery on that shoulder, I would not even sniff him anywhere near that spot where you have him.



this is where the Webb out all of next year came from, which ill chalk up a 3rd for the not knowing who said he would be out all of next year too... obviously this year is and has been toast for a little while now, but i wouldn't expect (baring any set backs) that Webb couldn't open next year...

High Inside Heater you have a link to back Webb being out all of next year?
Image

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2693
Joined: 4 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Top 100 Pitchers - 2009

Postby High Inside Heater » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:51 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:
High Inside Heater wrote:Vazquez, Cain, Romero all too low(Romero esp)

Carpenter(above Vazquez? really? i doubt it) Wainwright too highm. Joba i like a lot but not ready to put him there right now.

You do realize Brandon webb will miss all of next season and who knows how he comes back off that surgery on that shoulder, I would not even sniff him anywhere near that spot where you have him.



this is where the Webb out all of next year came from, which ill chalk up a 3rd for the not knowing who said he would be out all of next year too... obviously this year is and has been toast for a little while now, but i wouldn't expect (baring any set backs) that Webb couldn't open next year...

High Inside Heater you have a link to back Webb being out all of next year?


yeah i read it on yahoo, and another site if i recall correctly. put in hear-say until i can find the source
High Inside Heater
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 35
Joined: 3 Jun 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Top 100 Pitchers - 2009

Postby High Inside Heater » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:57 pm

http://www.azsnakepit.com/2009/8/2/9730 ... ery-monday

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2314 ... lated-tabs

is what i dug up however neither is where i recollect hearing it. Either way interesting red on Webb.
High Inside Heater
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 35
Joined: 3 Jun 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Top 100 Pitchers - 2009

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:18 pm

AD- You're undervaluing Jurrjens. One of the best changes in baseball.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: footballisbetter.com, NikkiSixx, Saltydog and 13 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Arizona at Chi Cubs
(12:10 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(2:20 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(3:10 pm)
Houston at Seattle
(3:35 pm)
Kansas City at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
LA Angels at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Toronto at Toronto
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at Baltimore
(7:07 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Diego at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact