Top 100 Pitchers - 2009 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top 100 Pitchers - 2009

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Top 100 Pitchers - 2009

Postby ssiknosaj909 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:26 am

Been working on this for last few days. This year was my 1st playing Fantasy Baseball. I have fluxuated from 6th-9th pretty much all season and do not see myself making a late season comeback. Therefore I am looking into next year. Pitching was a big weakness of mine this season (drafted Volquez, Carmona, Liriano and Harrang (one pick before Verlander.) Gave up on Lester and Nolasco too soon.) I have learned so much from the Cafe this year and value everyones opinon. I have done my best to compile a top 100 list for the pitchers I think will have the most value going into next years drafts. Trades or Injuries, ect. Could obviously change things but as of right now this is what I have. Would love some input.

Rnk Player Team
1 Tim Linceum SF
2 Johan Santana NYM
3 Roy Halladay TOR
4 CC Sabathia NYY
5 Dan Haren ARZ
6 Felix Hernandez SEA
7 Justin Verlander DET
8 Zach Greinke KC
9 Josh Beckett BOS
10 Jake Peavy CWS
11 Cliff Lee PHI
12 Chad Billingsley LAD
13 Jon Lester BOS
14 Chris Carpenter STL
15 Clayton Kershaw LAD
16 Cole Hamels PHI
17 Josh Johnson FLA
18 Adam Wainwright STL
19 Yovani Gallardo MIL
20 Matt Cain STL
21 Erik Bedard SEA
22 Javier Vazquez ATL
23 Matt Garza TB
24 James Shields TB
25 John Lackey LAA
26 Brandon Webb ARZ
27 Roy Oswalt HOU
28 Joba Chamberlain NYY
29 A.J. Burnett NYY
30 Rickey Nolasco FLA
31 Rich Harden CHC
32 Tommy Hansen ATL
33 David Price TB
34 Max Sherzer ARZ
35 Jered Weaver LAA
36 Ubaldo Jimenez COL
37 Edwin Jackson DET
38 Gavin Floyd CWS
39 Jair Jurrjens ATL
40 John Danks CWS
41 Carlos Zambrano CHC
42 Ted Lilly CHC
43 Randy Wolf LAD
44 Wandy Rodriguez HOU
45 Ryan Dempster CHC
46 Mark Buehrle CWS
47 Stephen Strasburg WAS
48 Rick Porcello DET
49 Zach Duke PIT
50 Scott Baker MIN
51 Scott Kazmir TB
52 Neftali Feliz TEX
53 Brian Matusz BAL
54 Chris Tillman BAL
55 Derrick Holland TEX
56 Francisco Liriano MIN
57 Ervin Santana LAA
58 Hideki Kuroda LAD
59 Brett Anderson OAK
60 Justin Masterson CLE
61 JA Happ PHI
62 Joe Blanton PHI
63 Daisuke Matsuzaka BOS
64 Jorge De La Rosa COL
65 Dallas Braden OAK
66 Aaron Harrang CIN
67 Jonathon Sanchez SF
68 Jordan Zimmerman WAS
69 Tim Hudson ATL
70 Jeff Niemann TB
71 Kevin Slowey MIN
72 Derek Lowe LAD
73 Clayton Richard SD
74 Kenshin Kawakami ATL
75 James McDonald LAD
76 Jeremy Guthrie BAL
77 Aaron Laffey CLE
78 John Lannan WAS
79 Chris Volstad FLA
80 Gil Meche KC
81 Jarrod Washburn DET
82 Joel Pinerio STL
83 Kevin Millwood TEX
84 Jason Marquis COL
85 Johnny Cueto CIN
86 Doug Davis ARZ
87 Randy Wells CHC
88 Rickey Romero TOR
89 Anibal Sanchez FLA
90 Clay Bucholtz BOS
91 Jeremy Bonderman DET
92 Barry Zito SF
93 Jake Westbrook CLE
94 Koji Uehara BAL
95 Adam Miller FLA
96 Tommy Hunter TEX
97 Tom Gorzelanny CHC
98 Gio Gonzalez OAK
99 Junichi Tazawa BOS
100 Fausto Carmona CLE
ssiknosaj909
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Top 100 Pitchers - 2009

Postby High Inside Heater » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:37 am

Vazquez, Cain, Romero all too low(Romero esp)

Carpenter(above Vazquez? really? i doubt it) Wainwright too highm. Joba i like a lot but not ready to put him there right now.

You do realize Brandon webb will miss all of next season and who knows how he comes back off that surgery on that shoulder, I would not even sniff him anywhere near that spot where you have him.
High Inside Heater
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby nolanwood » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:32 am

Some of those are too high...Verlander, Wainwright, Webb, Lester, etc.
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:34 am

High Inside Heater wrote:Vazquez, Cain, Romero all too low(Romero esp)

Carpenter(above Vazquez? really? i doubt it) Wainwright too highm. Joba i like a lot but not ready to put him there right now.

You do realize Brandon webb will miss all of next season and who knows how he comes back off that surgery on that shoulder, I would not even sniff him anywhere near that spot where you have him.

I'm not touching Cain next year, his stats are so heavily luck based so far. I agree with Carpenter though, just too risky to take him that high. I'm pretty unimpressed by Romero(80% strand rate is driving a good chunk of that success) so not sure I think he is too low.

List looks ok overall, too early to really argue specifics too much but I think you have the right general idea for how to evaluate pitchers, even if I disagree with some random ones.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby High Inside Heater » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:59 am

Ender wrote:

I'm not touching Cain next year, his stats are so heavily luck based so far. I agree with Carpenter though, just too risky to take him that high. I'm pretty unimpressed by Romero(80% strand rate is driving a good chunk of that success) so not sure I think he is too low.

List looks ok overall, too early to really argue specifics too much but I think you have the right general idea for how to evaluate pitchers, even if I disagree with some random ones.

Meh i would have to disagree with Cain, i really like how he has pitched since going into the allstar break. granted i think his seasons start was more luck based but hes pitched very solid since. He has the type of movement on his pitches that just misses bats. I doubt anyone takes Carpenter that high yeah... agree there. Romero should be higher then where he has him listed and your right on the strand rate but that kid has plus stuff esp with that changeup and i think he will improve some next year. still he's way to low on the list i wouldnt bump him up much but just a little.

Until Joba shows he can go the distance and give me 200 IP then i would have a hard time rating him that high, his ceiling is high but not right now for me. Also would have to argue Verlander is about where he should be, I wouldnt lower him maybe but a spot or two he's interchangeable with Grienke imo.
High Inside Heater
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:20 am

If Ubaldo got run support he'd be higher.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Mortician » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:32 am

Ender wrote:

I disagree... the only stat that has been luck based is his wins. Every season he finishes with a great multi-cat line.... K, era, k/9, QS, etc. Have all been quite consistentover the past few years, and most of them have been getting steadily better year after year. The only thing that's a mystery going into every year is his Wins. And that was because he had one of the worst run supports in the majors the past few years. If the Giants can find a way to make their offense a little better this offseason, I see no reason why he can't match or come close to his win total for this year.
Mortician
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:47 pm

Wandy should be much higher, at least top 30.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Ender » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:55 pm

Cain has an xFIP of 4.32 right now. His K/9 is 7.7 which is right where it was the last 2 seasons. His BB/9 is 3.5 which is a tiny bit improved. His GB% is 37.3% which is right in line with his last 3 years. His LOB% is a staggering 86.5% which is nowhere near sustainable and what is driving his ERA more than any improvement.

Overall he is throwing a few more strikes which is getting him deeper into games and improving his BB/9 so he has shown some growth, but this is still a 3.50 ERA type pitcher and not a real ace. IF he got traded to the AL East I'd take the over on a 4 ERA. He is just going to go too early next year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Element » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:16 pm

95 Adam Miller FLA

I'm guessing that you mean Andrew Miller. Adam Miller is a MiLB'er in the Cleveland organization.

Overall, the list isn't terrible. Bedard has no business being ranked that high until he can show that he can consistently toss 180+ innings. I would also move Nolasco up that list 7-10 spots. Same with The Magic Wandy (as mentioned above).

Solid job though! ;-D
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 789)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers