Yonder Alonso - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Yonder Alonso

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yonder Alonso

Postby warner892001 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:51 pm

Will he get a call up in september? if not does he come up next year? what can he do in a season?

how will his call up affect votto?
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yonder Alonso

Postby TitusIII » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:54 pm

warner892001 wrote:Will he get a call up in september? if not does he come up next year? what can he do in a season?

Can Alonso play the outfield? Because Votto isn't going to be moved to make room for Alonso as Votto is already a stud at 1B, while Alonso simply has the potential to put up studly numbers at the MLB level. Don't get me wrong, I've seen a handful of Alonso's AB's this year, and the kid will certainly find himself in a Reds uniform someday due to his bat, but that day will probably be next year or 2011. Here are his #'s so far, very nice season at A, average #'s at AA, still a highly regarded stud

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/Players/ ... onso.shtml

Whatever the case, the Reds minor league system appears to be ridiculously stacked. Todd Frazier is a favorite of mine, anyone know if he gets a call-up this September(much more likely than Alonso, imo)
TitusIII
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby oddmanout7 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:23 am

http://redlegsbaseball.blogspot.com/200 ... lonso.html

Above is a good write up on Alonso written in the preseason.

Also according to Rotoworld, Alonso started a rehab assignment on Aug 5.

Reds prospect Yonder Alonso has begun a rehab assignment for a broken right hamate bone.
Before getting injured on June 19, the seventh overall pick of the 2008 draft was hitting .287 with 8 HR and 45 RBI in 63 games between Single-A and Double-A this season.

From what I have read, it looks like next season, assuming Alonso heals up and plays to his ability, Votto will move to LF and Alonso to 1B.

As for his potential, he is a power hitter with patience. In 2008 in college he hit .370/.534/.777/1.311 with 24HR 76BB and 35K. That is against college competition, but those are still ridiculous numbers. I would say he has 30HR power and should hit for a good average around .280+ and have a great OBP. If everything goes right, we could be looking at a Morneau kinda player.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby warner892001 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:30 am

TitusIII wrote:
warner892001 wrote:Will he get a call up in september? if not does he come up next year? what can he do in a season?

Can Alonso play the outfield? Because Votto isn't going to be moved to make room for Alonso as Votto is already a stud at 1B, while Alonso simply has the potential to put up studly numbers at the MLB level. Don't get me wrong, I've seen a handful of Alonso's AB's this year, and the kid will certainly find himself in a Reds uniform someday due to his bat, but that day will probably be next year or 2011. Here are his #'s so far, very nice season at A, average #'s at AA, still a highly regarded stud

Whatever the case, the Reds minor league system appears to be ridiculously stacked. Todd Frazier is a favorite of mine, anyone know if he gets a call-up this September(much more likely than Alonso, imo)

whose todd frazier and whats so special about him?
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TitusIII » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:25 pm

warner892001 wrote:
TitusIII wrote:

whose todd frazier and whats so special about him?

I probably shouldn't post this, as Frazier seems to fly under the radar in many fantasy circles, but he is, imo, the best prospect in the Reds organization. He can play SS, 2B, 3B, a little bit of the OF. Quite simply, the Reds will not be able to keep him down on the farm for long due to his ability to rake AND play different positions.

I'll post his stats, and hope he gets called up in September so I can stash him, if he doesn't, he will be a top 10-20 prospect in all of baseball heading into 2010. He was the #2 prospect in the Reds organization heading into '09, and he has played like a stud. At 6'3, 215...he may be a little too big to handle SS at the MLB level, and the Reds are experimenting with him at 2B.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... zier.shtml

When Brandon Phillips heard that Frazier was moved to 2B a few weeks, he vented to the press that the move signified Phillips was getting traded. It didn't happen, but the kid has earned the attention of the Reds players and brass.
TitusIII
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mblax10 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:31 pm

Can't find the splits since Alonso's on a rehab assignment right now, but he's never been able to hit lefties even in college. Temper your expectations for a guy who will have to platoon.

Frazier is a nice prospect but is definitely not a MLB SS, and may not even be a MLB 2B. He does have a nice bat especially if his power continues to develop. If he can stick at 2B defensively will be a very nice fantasy option. If he ends up at 3B or LF he's much less valuable. He's also supposed to be a high character guy and great in the clubhouse.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warner892001 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:42 pm

so hes not this top prospect that can rake like no one's business?
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach

Postby oddmanout7 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:25 am

Alonso

vs. Lefty: 0.209/0.265/0.279
vs. Righty: 0.302/0.379/0.508

That is pretty dramatic, although he has only had 43ab against lefties compared to 189ab against righties, so the sample size is still small.

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Reds 1B Yonder Alonso (hand) was shut down after two at-bats in his Class A rehab assignmentlast week.
(Updated 08/10/2009).
Fantasy Analysis
Alonso could be shut down for the rest of the season, as the Reds don't want to risk further injury to their top prospects. He remains a solid long-term keeper prospect.

From CBS, looks like he may sit out the rest of the season to heal.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby warner892001 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:10 am

do you still see him coming up next year?
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AEMRICH » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:24 am

Alonso would be wise to sit out the rest of the year he is still a top prospect, i don't think he will be with the club right off next year but will be called up around june
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball