A discussion at work - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A discussion at work

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A discussion at work

Postby Saltydog » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:49 pm

led to figuring out award winners right now.

I know there's about 2 months to go but here's my shot:

AL MVP-
Front runner- Carl Crawford
In the mix- Morneau, Texiera

AL Cy Young-
Front runner- Justin Verlander
In the mix- Greinke, Beckett

AL Rookie-
Front runner- Gordon Beckham
In the mix- Porcello

NL MVP-
Front runner- Pujols
In the mix- ??

NL Cy Young-
Front runner- Matt Cain
In the mix- Lincecum, ??

NL Rookie-
Front runner- ??
In the mix- Rasmus, McCutchen

Thoughts?
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 142)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A discussion at work

Postby MasterX1918 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:08 pm

AL Cy Young is Halladay (if he finishes the year 100% healthy) and NL Cy young is definitly Tim Lincecum at the moment. Felix and Greinke might make a push but I think Halladay finishes with it.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:19 pm

J.A. Happ is throwing his hat in the ring for NL Rookie of the Year, especially after throwing another CGSO last night, his second of the season (as I recall). Rasmus and McCutchen will certainly continue to make their bids, as well, as noted.

Pujols is the odds on favorite for NL MVP, with Chase Utley and Prince Fielder probably being his closest competition, if you want to consider them it.

The AL Cy Young race should be interesting with Greinke, Halladay, and Verlander all throwing great ball. I think Greinke is most deserving, myself, at this point. Felix Hernandez is in the conversation, as well. It wouldn't shock me to see Chris Carpenter win the NL Cy Young, especially after St. Louis finishes their next 22 games, where 19 of them are against sub-.500 ball clubs. The Giants' duo and even Javier Vazquez are in the conversation, as well.

I think the AL MVP race right now is Morneau vs. Teixeira, with Crawford being behind them with guys like Johnny Damon, Kevin Youkilis, Victor Martinez, and a few others whose play down the stretch will determine where they finish.

My $0.02
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby Tavish » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:24 pm

NL Rookie is going to be close between McCutchen, McGehee, Seth Smith, and Garrett Jones.

AL MVP is going to be worse than last years. Mauer, Morneau, Jeter, Crawford, Bartlett, Miggy, and Young are all right there. It will come down to who makes the playoffs.

Both Cy Young awards are up for grabs but right now I would say it runs Lincecum, Haren, Cain in the NL and Beckett, Verlander, Hernandez in the AL. Quite a few others in the mix in both races so it will be who can rack up the wins from here on out.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:40 pm

Tavish wrote:NL Rookie is going to be close between McCutchen, McGehee, Seth Smith, and Garrett Jones.

AL MVP is going to be worse than last years. Mauer, Morneau, Jeter, Crawford, Bartlett, Miggy, and Young are all right there. It will come down to who makes the playoffs.

Both Cy Young awards are up for grabs but right now I would say it runs Lincecum, Haren, Cain in the NL and Beckett, Verlander, Hernandez in the AL. Quite a few others in the mix in both races so it will be who can rack up the wins from here on out.

Wow, the Royals fan not even putting Greinke in the top 3?
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby Amatter32 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:42 pm

NL ROY: I don't think McCutcheon will play enough of the season, Rasmus has been okay. I would go with Sandoval if he is eligible or Happ as the frontrunners.
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:42 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
Tavish wrote:NL Rookie is going to be close between McCutchen, McGehee, Seth Smith, and Garrett Jones.

Wow, the Royals fan not even putting Greinke in the top 3?

It's the "How many Wins can you get" Award not the "best pitcher" Award. ;-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby LloydChristmas » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:48 pm

AL MVP - Mauer (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagu ... ders.shtml)

Peruse those stats. It's close but Mauer tops a lot of the best categories.

NL MVP - Albert (without a doubt)

AL Cy Young - Halladay (It's one of those "reward the career-long underrated guy" years, though I think he is deserving)

NL Cy Young - Lincecum (And it won't even be close)

AL ROY - Gordon Beckham

NL ROY - J.A. Happ
LloydChristmas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MasterX1918 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:40 pm

Tavish wrote:NL Rookie is going to be close between McCutchen, McGehee, Seth Smith.

Seth Smith isn't eligible. McCutchen is already eligible. Pablo Sandoval definitly isn't eligible.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby thejusman1 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:30 pm

AL MVP - Teixeira. He's been playing tremendous, and will receive quite a bit of fanfare as a Yankee.

NL MVP - Pujols had this since the All-star Break.

AL Cy Young - Halladay.

NL Cy Young - Linecum

AL ROY - Beckham

NL ROY - McCutchen.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers