Thank you Cash for Clunkers! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Thank you Cash for Clunkers!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Thank you Cash for Clunkers!

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:24 pm

When my wife and I were car shopping a couple years ago we were looking at some SUVs (mainly smaller ones: Focus, CRV, RAV 4, etc.) but ended up going with what is classified as a "sport wagon," which I had never heard of until then. After comparing a number of different models we went with a Subaru Outback for many of the reasons Met listed. It's been a great car.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:48 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:When my wife and I were car shopping a couple years ago we were looking at some SUVs (mainly smaller ones: Focus, CRV, RAV 4, etc.) but ended up going with what is classified as a "sport wagon," which I had never heard of until then. After comparing a number of different models we went with a Subaru Outback for many of the reasons Met listed. It's been a great car.

We looked at the same smaller SUVs recently for my wife and wound up with an Audi A3 for almost the same price as those vehicles. Wagons are great.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:27 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:When my wife and I were car shopping a couple years ago we were looking at some SUVs (mainly smaller ones: Focus, CRV, RAV 4, etc.) but ended up going with what is classified as a "sport wagon," which I had never heard of until then. After comparing a number of different models we went with a Subaru Outback for many of the reasons Met listed. It's been a great car.

The shaggin wagon.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Metroid » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:31 pm

Yeah those Subaru wagons are great cars. One of my first cars was an older Subaru wagon and that thing was awesome, sure reliable. Excellent choice. ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:09 am

Got my new car, a 2009 Chevy Aveo, I really like it. Thanks to all the taxpayers out there who helped me buy a new car and to the government for giving away free monies for luxury items, you guys are the best.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby ayebatter » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:24 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:Got my new car, a 2009 Chevy Aveo, I really like it. Thanks to all the taxpayers out there who helped me buy a new car and to the government for giving away free monies for luxury items, you guys are the best.

Now that is one of Obama's cars, stock is rising at GM as we speak.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby TheRock » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:37 pm

Well, allegedly this thing is over. Busy weekend for car dealers as people rushed to take advantage at the last minute.

I've had a 1997 Honda Passport for just over a year. Bought it as a 3rd car for my son to drive. While it wears the name 'Honda', this particular model was actually made by Isuzu, and has not shown the quality I would expect from a Honda. It leaks oil pretty good, I'm guessing head gasket. I took it in the the auto parts place on Saturday and had them verify for me that I do indeed need to replace the alternator. Again. So I would need to invest a few hundred dollars in it before long, and at 15 mpg it is in all ways expensive to own and drive. So I clunked it. Made an impulse stop by my local Honda dealer late Saturday afternoon and just got in under the wire the trade this thing in on a new Civic. Which they were actually out of, I bought one coming in their next shipment.

So I went from terrible mileage to 36 highway, I got the $4500. Now I probably wouldn't get more than $1000 for my clunker on a trade in, but I could probably sell it now for $2500 if I had everything fixed. So I got a $2000 benefit let's say. However, the dealer didn't work with me much on the price of the new car. Doesn't help when you're buying one of the best selling cars in the country and they're sold out of them. But any other time I probably would have been able to talk them down another $1000. So really I profited $1000 in this process. So as a clunker owner I'm moderately happy.

As a taxpayer, I'm more convinced than ever that this program is a complete waste. Really all Obama did is give me a good price for an old car. Which he will then take and destroy. The dealer is kinda happy, sure. They had a busy week. Sold a few cars. But this program did nothing to end the stale market for new cars, so they all know that next week it's back to (no) business as usual. But they did make some profits. Part of which they now have to spend fighting all the red tape involved in working with the government... But yes, this whole endeavor did in fact stimulate some activity in the economy. In my case, the dealer and I both came out with a small profit. Assuming my case is fairly representative of the program, we may have stimulated as much as a billion dollars of economic activity on the whole. For the low price of only 3 billion. I'm sure there are many who consider that an enormous success. Now let's all hope the takeover of healthcare goes just as efficiently.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Previous

Return to General Talk