Thank you Cash for Clunkers! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Thank you Cash for Clunkers!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Thank you Cash for Clunkers!

Postby Metroid » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:51 am

bigken117 wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:i'm looking at the packages


maybe you should look into race cars :-S

win. :-b
Image
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFootball Mod
Posts: 5207
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living vicariously through myself.

Re: Thank you Cash for Clunkers!

Postby JTWood » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:51 pm

Image
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Re: Thank you Cash for Clunkers!

Postby ayebatter » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:44 pm

JTWood wrote:Image



" If you would have gotten A/C, you wouldn't have to leave your zipper down"
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 12173
(Past Year: 1387)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: Thank you Cash for Clunkers!

Postby RugbyD » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:46 am

I go on a short vaca and someone dares to disagree! for shame! :-b

urbanbreez wrote:and it does zero to reduce dependence on foreign oil
So? That's not was it was designed to do.

a stated goal is to get gas guzzlers off the road, aka reduce fuel consumption. it's not the strongest link but speeches about increasing fuel efficiency are very often linked to reducing dependency on foreign oil

and it hurts poor people who could really use a cheap set of wheels to expand their economic horizons
Oh, puulease. There is no shortage of clunkers and there never will be. Check Craigslist or your neighbors backyard for cars under $2,000.

500,000 - 750,000 cars out of circulation that would have been available for multiple transactions is nothing to sneeze at.

and it hurts those who keep older cars (by choice or necessity) by reducing the available stock of uncommon parts in junkyards
-Absurd statement. See above and give be a break.

if you won't believe me, bveliev those in the business:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/2 ... 46467.html


and it penalizes used car dealers for absolutely no reason whatsoever
-Could you be more wrong? This is an incentive that a dealership is now able to offer, giving them more tools to sell a car, thus helping them and the customer. Also, this statement is the opposite of what you said about bailing out companies that shouldn't be bailed out. Pick a side man.

i specified used car dealers, not all dealers. they are completely cut out of these sales and their inventory is being made even less price competitive while the program is in effect during a very tough time in the auto industry across the board. They did nothing to get crapped on like this.

and it will have zero effect on global warming
-Oh no! It has zero effect on something that doesn't even exist in the first place. Gawd zukes, this is a crap program.

can't disagree with you here, i just tossed in in for those who think it does exist

and it will only exacerbate the problems of the big 3 by pushing out a sustained higher level of new car sales by piling more purchases into the present when there are already too many recent vintage cars in use.
-Yeah, increased sales totally exacerbate a failing industry. This we know to be true. In sales meetings all across the country CEOs are figuring out ways to decrase sales in order to stay in business. Also, what are talking about?

you're missing the point. back when car companies were offering ridiculous financing deals to people who should not have been buying new cars, they were just cannibalizing their future sales for short term benefit. During the testimony for the Big 3 bailouts, critics routinely called out the Big 3 for their ridiculous projections of how much bailout money the needed based on sales forecasts that predicted a certain level of sales. Those sales levels were absurd b/c they ignored the effect of the younger average age of cars on the road due to the Big 3 flooding the market with new cars at cheap financing. This program just continues more of the same.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Re: Thank you Cash for Clunkers!

Postby JTWood » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:24 am

CBSNews.com wrote:(CBS/AP) Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, the nation's top car salesman in recent weeks, has cited the Obama administration's best-seller list of mostly smaller, fuel-saving cars like the Ford Focus to describe the success of the Cash for Clunkers rebate program.

But what LaHood and other administration officials usually don't mention is that some trucks and sport-utility vehicles that get less than 20 miles per gallon, like the Ford F-150 truck and one version of the Cadillac SRX Crossover, also are being purchased with the new government subsidies. Both are bulky vehicles weighing more than 6,000 pounds when loaded that boast at least 248 horsepower.

Just how many consumers used the federal rebates to buy these larger, not-so-green vehicles is unclear. The Obama administration has declined so far to release detailed records of purchases under the program being compiled by the Transportation Department, listing every clunker deal requesting rebates. The Associated Press requested the data July 31.
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Re: Thank you Cash for Clunkers!

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:37 am

JTWood wrote:
CBSNews.com wrote:(CBS/AP) Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, the nation's top car salesman in recent weeks, has cited the Obama administration's best-seller list of mostly smaller, fuel-saving cars like the Ford Focus to describe the success of the Cash for Clunkers rebate program.

But what LaHood and other administration officials usually don't mention is that some trucks and sport-utility vehicles that get less than 20 miles per gallon, like the Ford F-150 truck and one version of the Cadillac SRX Crossover, also are being purchased with the new government subsidies. Both are bulky vehicles weighing more than 6,000 pounds when loaded that boast at least 248 horsepower.

Just how many consumers used the federal rebates to buy these larger, not-so-green vehicles is unclear. The Obama administration has declined so far to release detailed records of purchases under the program being compiled by the Transportation Department, listing every clunker deal requesting rebates. The Associated Press requested the data July 31.


so...the plan wasnt that you have to buy a vehicle that gets X MPG, it just has to be X MPG over your old vehicle, so if you have some gas guzzler getting 7 MPG and you trade it in for one getting 20, seems like that's a plus in my book. not everyone can drive a small car, people need work trucks and things like that.
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thank you Cash for Clunkers!

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
JTWood wrote:
CBSNews.com wrote:(CBS/AP) Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, the nation's top car salesman in recent weeks, has cited the Obama administration's best-seller list of mostly smaller, fuel-saving cars like the Ford Focus to describe the success of the Cash for Clunkers rebate program.

But what LaHood and other administration officials usually don't mention is that some trucks and sport-utility vehicles that get less than 20 miles per gallon, like the Ford F-150 truck and one version of the Cadillac SRX Crossover, also are being purchased with the new government subsidies. Both are bulky vehicles weighing more than 6,000 pounds when loaded that boast at least 248 horsepower.

Just how many consumers used the federal rebates to buy these larger, not-so-green vehicles is unclear. The Obama administration has declined so far to release detailed records of purchases under the program being compiled by the Transportation Department, listing every clunker deal requesting rebates. The Associated Press requested the data July 31.


so...the plan wasnt that you have to buy a vehicle that gets X MPG, it just has to be X MPG over your old vehicle, so if you have some gas guzzler getting 7 MPG and you trade it in for one getting 20, seems like that's a plus in my book. not everyone can drive a small car, people need work trucks and things like that.


Exactly...Trucks are necessary for a lot of people. SUV's seem to be more of a problem considering I see lots of single people driving them. Although here in Colorado 4WD is a must since I have to drive to work.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: Thank you Cash for Clunkers!

Postby knapplc » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:55 pm

acsguitar wrote:Exactly...Trucks are necessary for a lot of people. SUV's seem to be more of a problem considering I see lots of single people driving them. Although here in Colorado 4WD is a must since I have to drive to work.

SUVs are super-handy, though. We have a Santa Fe which drives like a car, but it elevates you so you have a better field of vision. It has more cargo capacity than a car and I've stretched the limits of what that cargo capacity can do by hauling rocks, sand and soil for outdoors projects, furniture... all kinds of stuff. SUVs are WAY easier to get young children in and out of.

Yeah, mine gets a little better gas mileage than most, and that's one of the reasons I bought it, but overall they're all kind of guzzlers. But my other option would be to buy a pickup, and I don't want to do that.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7870
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: Thank you Cash for Clunkers!

Postby RugbyD » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:06 pm

knapplc wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Exactly...Trucks are necessary for a lot of people. SUV's seem to be more of a problem considering I see lots of single people driving them. Although here in Colorado 4WD is a must since I have to drive to work.

SUVs are super-handy, though. We have a Santa Fe which drives like a car, but it elevates you so you have a better field of vision. It has more cargo capacity than a car and I've stretched the limits of what that cargo capacity can do by hauling rocks, sand and soil for outdoors projects, furniture... all kinds of stuff. SUVs are WAY easier to get young children in and out of.

Yeah, mine gets a little better gas mileage than most, and that's one of the reasons I bought it, but overall they're all kind of guzzlers. But my other option would be to buy a pickup, and I don't want to do that.

Seconded. The elevated view is very nice, along with 4wd for Chicago weather. I'm single, but have gotten tons of use out of the cargo capacity for all sorts of stuff.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Re: Thank you Cash for Clunkers!

Postby Metroid » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:14 pm

I wrote a paper last term on the dangers SUV's pose to others on the road. People in passenger cars are much more likely to have fatal injuries from collisions with SUV's. Also here's some stats and numbers I found interesting...

Rollovers account for less than 1 percent of the crashes in the United States, but are the cause of a quarter of the traffic deaths—10,000 deaths a year, more than from side and rear impacts combined. SUVs roll over with particular frequency: 5 times per 100 crashes, compared to 3.8 times per 100 crashes for pickups, 2 per 100 crashes for minivans and 1.7 times per 100 crashes for cars, according to federal crash statistics.


If you don't need one don't get one. There are smaller SUV hybrids that have a little less cargo space than the big supersized SUV's but a lot more than passenger cars. They have a much lower center of gravity which prevents rollovers. Plus your bumper isn't above the bumper level of other cars which helps prevent serious injuries in accidents. And there are a vast variety 4WD and AWD cars and wagons out there that eat ice and snow alive...a lot better than massive SUV's do.

Not knocking anyone, just my thoughts. :-D
Image
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFootball Mod
Posts: 5207
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living vicariously through myself.

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Aug. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi White Sox at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Tampa Bay at Toronto
(1:07 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Seattle at Boston
(1:35 pm)
Baltimore at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
San Francisco at Washington
(4:05 pm)
Houston at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Milwaukee
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Colorado
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Texas
(8:25 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(9:05 pm)
NY Mets at LA Dodgers
(9:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact