Thank you Cash for Clunkers! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Thank you Cash for Clunkers!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thank you Cash for Clunkers!

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:15 pm

It's been a long time since I've had a car payment, but with a $3500 clunker and $2000 rebate I had to buy a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. My first new car !+) Thanks to the feds for subsidizing my purchase.

Anyone else clunkin'?
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thank you Cash for Clunkers!

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:44 pm

I traded in my 01 Ford Explorer for $4500. It was perfect timing, the transmission was starting to go bad and I wouldn't have gotten more than $1000 just for trading it in. As an added bonus I got $1000 for being a recent college graduate. I ended up getting a 2010 Toyota Corolla, I enjoy it a lot so far but I wish I could have afforded the Camry. The seat doesn't go back as far as I'd like. I had meant to start a thread on this when I got my car last Thursday, but never got around to it.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:46 pm

My car gets 33 MPG in the city so I guess it doesn't qualify? :-? :-)
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby ayebatter » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:38 pm

Hey, you guys are are supposed to be buying from Obama's car companies !!!
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1387)

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:59 pm

If this program would have come around a couple years from now when my wife's car is paid off, I may have taken advantage, but there's no way we could afford a second car payment. I have a 1994 Dodge Dakota with almost 175K on it that still runs like a dream. I bought it with 96K and all I've done (other than routine maintenance and stuff like breaks) is replace the water pump and the heater fan. I'm going to drive that bad boy 'til the wheels fall off.

Also, this Cash for Clunkers program is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:52 pm

shouldnt it be mandatory that its an american car company or the whole purpose is defeated?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:43 am

im too poor
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:23 am

Snakes Gould wrote:shouldnt it be mandatory that its an american car company or the whole purpose is defeated?

Not really. First off that screws over foreign economies which tend to own us or parts of us. Secondly many foreign cars are produced here by American workers.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:03 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Also, this Cash for Clunkers program is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

Curious, so can I ask why? I know it doesn't change a whole lot as far as the environment goes, but every little bit does help. Not to mention quite a few people are getting great deals on wheels they otherwise wouldn't/couldn't have bought and in turn, that's helping to keep jobs in the automotive industry (salespeople, dealerships, repair techs, manufacturing, etc).

It's much better than the mandated healthcare Obama's trying to force through that will turn middle class people into poverty class people (I'll probably be putting up a very detailed post about that whole thing in the next few days if not sooner, showing exactly how Obama has zero idea what his forced and manadated healthcare plan will do to the Average Joe).

EDIT: And no, I didn't cash in on "Cash for Clunkers". I've got '05 and '07 Tiburons that get 30+ mpg, so I didn't/don't qualify and I like my cars too much to trade them in.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:16 pm

Madison wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Also, this Cash for Clunkers program is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

Curious, so can I ask why? I know it doesn't change a whole lot as far as the environment goes, but every little bit does help. Not to mention quite a few people are getting great deals on wheels they otherwise wouldn't/couldn't have bought and in turn, that's helping to keep jobs in the automotive industry (salespeople, dealerships, repair techs, manufacturing, etc).

I'm trying to get some stuff done so I can blow out of work early today, so I'm going to have to keep this brief, but simply put, we already bailed out the auto industry once (which I also wasn't a fan of). Spending $3 billion in federal money so people can upgrade their working automobiles seems like a huge waste. The environmental impact of this plan is likely overstated, and I would guess the benefits of the reduction in emissions is probably balanced out by the negatives of disposing of millions of used cars. Just the batteries and tires alone will create tons and tons of waste. It also seems wasteful and foolish to simply destroy a bunch of cars and trucks that run and are perfectly useful as is. Also, it doesn't actually change anything in the way cars are manufactured, marketed, or sold, so it's just a band-aid.

But yeah, auto sales are way up, so congratuations auto industry, all of your problems are temporarily solved.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk