Are the Phillies really this stupid? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Are the Phillies really this stupid?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Are the Phillies really this stupid?

Postby DVauthrin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:55 pm

JTWood wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:Plus, the cards are as good of a right handed lineup as you will see in the NL.

You no idea how long it took me to pick myself up off the floor after hearing someone say that.

FWIW, I was going off the hitters in the lineup now, not team stats, when making the initial comment. After seeing their .230 BA and .671 OPS versus lefties for the season I can understand your reaction. But I stand by my statement. most if not all of those offensive numbers were pre DeRosa and Holliday. Plus, Ludwick has rediscovered last year's form in the past month. Therefore, right now they have one of the better lineups for facing lefties.
Last edited by DVauthrin on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby smoovethug » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:53 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:but i also think it could be beneficial to move Happ to the pen. im not buying his ERA/WHIP, other numbers suggest he is not as good as advertised..
4.00 FIP
84.3 LOB%
.251 BABIP

im not buying it. i wouldnt be surprised to see more games like his July24 start (6 IP, 10 H, 5 ER) than his start yesturday.. but then again maybe hes just working with the luck this season and it will continue.

I won't lie, I expected regression to hit Happ pretty hard. His fastball command is very good though and it has cutting action which seems to be pretty deceptive. He likes to work that fastball up and out of the zone once he gets ahead of hitters to put them away and it generates a nice amount of swings and misses. Only his last K to Tulo to end the game last night was called. What isn't seen in his stats is that he has excellent poise and composure for someone with as little experience as he has. I won't be jaded and tell you that he's going to blossom into an ace because that's just foolishly far-fetched, but I can definitely see him sticking as a solid 3.

I'm not too opposed to a 6-man rotation as the Phils probably won't sack up and send Moyer to the pen and he's not what you'd exactly want coming out of your pen anyway.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:39 pm

JTWood wrote:What about putting Moyer in the pen? Eyre's your only lefty in the pen, right?

jc romero.

the big disagreement in the off-season was that moyer wanted 2 years and the phils wanted 1. the phils eventually gave in. its coming back to bite them now. i dont see the phils shipping him out to the pen outright. there will probably be a 6 man rotation or 5th spot platoon type thing going on for awhile, but its really a moot point anyway. moyer wont make the playoff roster and the only way pedro does is from the bullpen.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby swyck » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:20 am

Let's wait to see if Pedro can even pitch before writing Moyer out of the rotation. If the #5 SP is the Phils biggest problem then I'm happy with that. ;-D
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers