Are the Phillies really this stupid? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Are the Phillies really this stupid?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Are the Phillies really this stupid?

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:00 pm

wow what is with all the hostilities? :-°
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Travesty in Philly

Postby LloydChristmas » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:01 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:The real travesty is that you didn't notice that someone else had already started this topic.

viewtopic.php?t=395471

Sorry.
LloydChristmas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Cobra_Kai » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:26 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:The real travesty is that you didn't notice that someone else had already started this topic.

viewtopic.php?t=395471

Riiiight.

Great discussion in this thread. A ton of insight.
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:39 pm

Cobra_Kai wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=395471

Riiiight.

What exactly were you looking for? :-?

If you are relying on Rotoworld for anything other then straight out facts, you are in trouble. The "opinions" on those sort of sites are usually really, really awful and misleading.

The best thing to do is to go to the Phillies blog/website to find actual quotes from people who know, i.e Manuel, Amaro, or whoever their pitching coach is.

My guess is that they will use Moyer/Pedro as a platoon SP, or maybe even a straight 6 man rotation. I can't see Happ going to the bullpen, they don't particularly need to cut back his innings at this stage.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:48 pm

What's funny is that people fly off the handle before a decision is made or implemented. Instead of waiting to see if Pedro can even handle starting or Moyer can string together two decent outings, they hear the news and feel the need to react immediately.

If Happ (or any other rookie) continues to pitch well then the management really has no choice but to give them the job over an undeserving veteran.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:50 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
Cobra_Kai wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=395471

Riiiight.

What exactly were you looking for? :-?

If you are relying on Rotoworld for anything other then straight out facts, you are in trouble. The "opinions" on those sort of sites are usually really, really awful and misleading.

The best thing to do is to go to the Phillies blog/website to find actual quotes from people who know, i.e Manuel, Amaro, or whoever their pitching coach is.

My guess is that they will use Moyer/Pedro as a platoon SP, or maybe even a straight 6 man rotation. I can't see Happ going to the bullpen, they don't particularly need to cut back his innings at this stage.

There was speculation on MLB Homeplate this morning that perhaps Moyer would go to the bullpen to be the long man but of course any decisions ride with how well Pedro does. Striking out 11 in AA is nice, but what will he do when he comes up the show? I agree with Aussie here, I think you have to wait and see what the credible (read, people affiliated with the team) sources have to say.

They did shoot down any possibility of a six-man rotation, by the way after two back-to-back callers (Philly fans nonetheless) suggested that was the way to go.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:58 pm

LloydChristmas wrote:So, as a knowledgeable baseball follower with some common sense, who would you think is most deserving of a demotion to the bullpen between these two pitchers:

Pitcher A:
115 IP
2.74 ERA
1.12 WHIP
86 Ks
37 BBs

Pitcher B:
118.1 IP
5.55 ERA
1.47 WHIP
68 Ks
37 BBs

I think you all get the picture....

i thought pitcher B might be Cole Hamels until i checked the stats
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby LloydChristmas » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:01 pm

I think this article sheds the most accurate light on the situation.

http://zozone.mlblogs.com/archives/2009 ... _happ.html

It also reinforces my opinion of Charlie Manuel. Seems like the nicest guy in the world but a complete stuck-in-yesteryear, I-don't-need-no-damn-newfangled-statistics, manager.

Great, Jamie Moyer has 256 wins. He also has the 2nd highest ERA in the national league this year.

Great, Moyer has 10 wins. Check out the column in this link labeled "Luck" (It's just the difference between actual wins and losses and expected wins and losses, roughly speaking):

http://baseballprospectus.com/statistic ... cid=482890

Come on Charlie/Ruben, the stats (or just common sense) won't bite.
LloydChristmas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:08 pm

LloydChristmas wrote:I think this article sheds the most accurate light on the situation.

http://zozone.mlblogs.com/archives/2009 ... _happ.html

It also reinforces my opinion of Charlie Manuel. Seems like the nicest guy in the world but a complete stuck-in-yesteryear, I-don't-need-no-damn-newfangled-statistics, manager.

Great, Jamie Moyer has 256 wins. He also has the 2nd highest ERA in the national league this year.

Great, Moyer has 10 wins. Check out the column in this link labeled "Luck" (It's just the difference between actual wins and losses and expected wins and losses, roughly speaking):

http://baseballprospectus.com/statistic ... cid=482890

Come on Charlie/Ruben, the stats (or just common sense) won't bite.

AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:43 pm

to answer the original question...no.

Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said that J.A. Happ will remain in the rotation.
"Happ's not going anywhere. He's not going out of the rotation," Amaro said. "He deserves to stay in the rotation. He has pitched very well. He's one of our most effective starters." The Phillies have a logjam in their rotation, with Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels, Joe Blanton, Jamie Moyer and Happ currently holding down the fort and Pedro Martinez near a return to the major leagues. Happ has a 2.74 ERA through 26 games (14 starts) this season. Amaro mentioned that the team could go with a six-man rotation, although jettisoning Moyer (5.55 ERA through 21 starts) is probably the most prudent option. One problem: Moyer is owed $6.5 million next year. Aug. 6 - 1:18 pm et

it was pure speculation from everyone other than anyone that actually matters. neither amaro or manual have even speculated about moving happ from the rotation.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers