My Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

My Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My Strategy

Postby audio817 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:05 pm

Alright, I didn't know where to post this so I figured Analyze my team is the best place for it. I've been tweaking a fantasy baseball strategy for two years now because one of my friends is so adamant about "Hitting First" as a draft rule. First off, I play in H2H with my friends and this strategy only works in H2H. Why? Because roto is all about filling out every stat and punting stats just doesn't work for roto. So here's my "Pitching Focused" strategy to prove my friend wrong.

Draft Day - When it was finally time to draft I was greeted by the 2nd pick in a 14 team draft. Pujols went number 1 much to my delight, Hanley Ramirez is my 2nd favorite player in baseball, so guess who I picked? I like filling the thin positions first so getting a SS in the 1st is pretty ideal, but this is also dangerous because BPA is almost everyone's motto. 2nd round turned into Brandon Phillips although I flirted with Carl Crawford pretty hard at this position, but I had my sights set on my favorite player aka Ichiro for next round. After CC and Crawford went off the board I took Ichiro filling out my hitting with two MI and a solid leadoff type OF. I have great speed, decent power, and good position coverage after 3 rounds so I'm happy.

Now my eyes were completely on one player and his name was Joe Mauer. Unfortunately for me Mauer went two spots ahead of me to my rival. I decided to take my first SP of my pitching focused team with: Lincecum, Hamels, Sabathia, and Santana gone I turned to Dan Haren. That pick turned out pretty well for me so McLouth and Hart go back to back it's my pick again. Then disaster struck and my internet died on me, which led to Troy Tulowitzki getting autodrafted for me. This threw a wrench into my plans because I was going to snag Halladay for an awesome 1-2 pitching punch.

After taking Tulo my team was in a very awkward position and I was pretty puzzled. The round went by quick and one name stood out from the rest. That name was Chone Figgins who was the best possible solution for me at 3B with Alex Gordon as my backup plan. Lucky for me Figgins fell otherwise Gordon would have ruined me. With Figgins on board I needed my number 2 pitcher and I was stuck on two names: Cliff Lee and Felix Hernandez. Lee had a great year in 2008 but King Felix was my pick for that upside, and so far I haven't regretted that decision.

In the next few rounds I rounded out my offense and pitching with Edinson Volquez, Jose Valverde, James Loney, Pablo Sandoval, Brian Wilson, and Erik Bedard in that order. Volquez and Bedard have been injured so those hurt especially when I could have nabbed Matt Cain instead of Volquez. Loney was always going to be my 1B because despite modest HR totals he gets you solid RBIs and hits for Avg, but Sandoval was one of my steals. The guy plays 3B but has C eligibility which is lethal and reminds me of when I had Colston his rookie season and played him at TE.

My other notable picks were Heath Bell in the 15th and Wandy Rodriguez in the 18th which are both total steals that late in a draft. Over the course of the season I managed to pick up Kendry Morales, Michael Cuddyer, Mark Teahen, Ricky Nolasco, Gavin Floyd, and Gordon Beckham. I'm currently in 1st place with a 27.5 game lead and I haven't lost since week 2 when my team had the worst hitting week ever. Now obviously this isn't a surefire way to win every league, but I just wanted to show that hitting first isn't the only way to win especially in H2H leagues.
audio817
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: My Strategy

Postby iFantasize » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:42 pm

That was 5 minutes wasted out of my life. You never described a strategy, you just picked guys where they should have been picked. You landed a few players that had breakout seasons which is required to get first place in any league.
iFantasize
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby audio817 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:23 am

iFantasize wrote:That was 5 minutes wasted out of my life. You never described a strategy, you just picked guys where they should have been picked. You landed a few players that had breakout seasons which is required to get first place in any league.

I don't want to be rude but seeing as how you didn't hold back I won't either. I do show my strategy by going through my fantasy draft step by step. I apologize for not holding your hand, but I figured if you're on a fantasy baseball forum breaking down each individual's stats wouldn't be necessary. I go MI first generally because there is more speed and speed is a more consistent stat than power. I loaded up on speed by taking Hanley, Phillips, and Ichiro with my first three picks solidifying my MI and bringing solid AVG and Hits help with Ichiro. Haren was picked as an ace obviously, Tulo was autodrafted due to shoddy internet connection however I stuck by him even after a terrible start. I took Figgins because he has the most speed of any 3B plus he could serve as a backup 2B in a pinch. Felix was my attempt to get that surprise gem and he's paid off so far also he's got a great pitcher's park to play in. Loney and Sandoval were both picked about 30-40 picks ahead of their normal position because I wanted players who could hit for AVG and get decent RBI totals. I also nabbed Wandy who was on my queue for about 8 rounds before I finally picked him meaning I was waiting till his draft value reached its peak. My strategy was to essentially punt HRs and RBIs on offense in favor of stacking my speed stats and pitching stats while staying very active on the waiver wire to further improve my team. My attention of waivers brought me Cuddyer, Morales, Nolasco, G. Floyd, Beckham, and Hanson. Not my fault you can't piece these things together yourself from my draft.
audio817
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:15 am

audio817 wrote: Now obviously this isn't a surefire way to win every league, but I just wanted to show that hitting first isn't the only way to win especially in H2H leagues.

Didn't you take hitters with your first 3 picks?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby audio817 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:59 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
audio817 wrote: Now obviously this isn't a surefire way to win every league, but I just wanted to show that hitting first isn't the only way to win especially in H2H leagues.

Didn't you take hitters with your first 3 picks?

By "Hitting First" I meant the strategy be focused on hitting and take pitchers later as in taking four to five sluggers then proceed to have aces like Cain, Shields, or Harden. I took the necessary players to make relying on pitching suitable especially with the 2nd pick where a first round pitcher and top pitching talents in the 2nd round aren't really viable. I was going to take a pitcher in Tulo's slot, but my internet gave out on me which messed up my rhythm a bit. Ex: In one of my other leagues I took Hanley, Ichiro, Fielder, R. Martin, Granderson, R. Zimmerman, and Uggla before taking Gallardo and Volquez.
audio817
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:10 pm

My head hurts. You've got to be a little more concise in your writting, buddy.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team