Even a college degree can't help this one... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Even a college degree can't help this one...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Even a college degree can't help this one...

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:25 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
jfg wrote:I think this depends on the situation. If you are going to school at a liberal arts college and can't get a job because you majored in something that there aren't jobs for... you're on your own. Even if you went to a liberal arts school you're on your own because they don't promise crap.

I don't think liberal arts majors are at a big time disadvantage as some are led to believe. I've had friends who graduated with degrees in history, philosophy, and political science and entered the workplace in business and entertainment law, for example. Fact is, often times what you study in college isn't what you wind up doing 5-10 years later. Just like how it's somewhat of a rarity to find a company man these days, it's also commonplace for folks to have made two or more career changes in their lifetimes.

Dern Liberal arts jobs. Bunch em hippies!

I have a liberal arts degree and have been employeed since I left college in 2003 in a field (Computers) that I don't have a degree in. Communications is a pretty decent degree if you know how to use it. For 1 you tend to interview very well.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby markj11 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:20 pm

I had to have my college transcripts for my first job. They were review because I was asked about a D I had in one class. It sucked because I was talking to the head of human resources about my D in my human resources class.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:02 pm

acsguitar wrote:I have a liberal arts degree and have been employeed since I left college in 2003 in a field (Computers) that I don't have a degree in. Communications is a pretty decent degree if you know how to use it. For 1 you tend to interview very well.

One of my former colleagues is a senior business development manager and she earned a master's in communications through part-time studies. I remember having to take two communications electives in college and they were ridiculously easy, like common sense easy. It can still carry as good a weight of a liberal arts degree and somewhat as good as a business degree, but if I had taken that up as my major, I'm sure I would've said to myself I learned nothing for four years. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:50 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
jfg wrote:I think this depends on the situation. If you are going to school at a liberal arts college and can't get a job because you majored in something that there aren't jobs for... you're on your own. Even if you went to a liberal arts school you're on your own because they don't promise crap.

I don't think liberal arts majors are at a big time disadvantage as some are led to believe. I've had friends who graduated with degrees in history, philosophy, and political science and entered the workplace in business and entertainment law, for example. Fact is, often times what you study in college isn't what you wind up doing 5-10 years later. Just like how it's somewhat of a rarity to find a company man these days, it's also commonplace for folks to have made two or more career changes in their lifetimes.

Agreed. One of my roommates in college got his degree in Philosophy, got the Undergraduate Award in it actually, and is about ready to finish up at St. John's Law School -- just took the bar the other day.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby jfg » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:01 pm

I didn't mean you couldn't get a job, just that you're not promised anything at a normal university. The point I was trying to make is that there are thousands of "accredited colleges" out there that come as close as they can to promising great jobs after college and don't have any way of actually making it happen. It's the students fault for not researching I guess and like I said, they won't lose in court.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:15 pm

jfg wrote:I didn't mean you couldn't get a job, just that you're not promised anything at a normal university. The point I was trying to make is that there are thousands of "accredited colleges" out there that come as close as they can to promising great jobs after college and don't have any way of actually making it happen. It's the students fault for not researching I guess and like I said, they won't lose in court.

No, universities never promise you can get a desirable job out of the chute, but they do advertise themselves as being the ideal place to earn your degree and with that degree comes the weight or the prestige value in getting that job. That said, colleges/universities do the best they can to set up career opportunities for their students through career fairs, on-site interviewing, resume/interviewing help, and alumni networks. They can't promise a good job (and really that isn't and that shouldn't be their mission) but what they can do is make the job searches easier for their students. I had one professor in particular who was really adamant about students needing to talk to recruiters/employers in January/February instead of May and the Summer to do so. It's an ultra-competitive entry-level job market and being proactive well in advance is the way to go. Otherwise, it'll be difficult to get an entry-level job when those openings become less and less of a priority for recruiters. As for the suit, it's fairly obvious that it's a silly one, given that it's ultimately a student's decision to make the most of the education they earned.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:40 am

bigh0rt wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

Agreed. One of my roommates in college got his degree in Philosophy, got the Undergraduate Award in it actually, and is about ready to finish up at St. John's Law School -- just took the bar the other day.

one of my engineering professors had his undergrad in General Studies :-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby silentjim » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:30 am

This woman is not, was not, or will never be a lawyer.

Technically she appears to be suing Office of Career Advancement for not getting her a job or keeping their end of the bargain. This is slightly more believable than suing a school for an assumed job. Now, how she thinks she's owed all of her tuition I have no idea. At best I would guess she would be owed a couple of months worth of average salary for someone with a Bachelor of Business Administration Degree in Information Technology. Maybe if she had a lawyer she'd be more informed...

I've applied for jobs where GPA was asked and jobs where it wasn't. As others have said as well, I was always told early on to include your GPA if it was above a 3.0 or 3.5 since it can put you above other applicants and perhaps camouflage the lack of initial experience.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:17 pm

knapplc wrote:
Madison wrote:Seems odd that you haven't seen any, but maybe it's more of a regional thing? We've got tons and tons of colleges here in Texas, so that might have something to do with it.

Maybe it's regional. I just don't see it looked at, but I'm just one guy. Who knows.

I've seen it asked for on applications around here. Not many though. And I never confirmed them.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk