Even a college degree can't help this one... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Even a college degree can't help this one...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Even a college degree can't help this one...

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:09 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
CheeseBeger wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:This is only one field, but in the 20 or so interviews I went on when looking for a teaching job, never once was I asked about my High School, Undergrad, or Graduate GPAs. Granted, it's only one field as I said above, but I've never heard of it being asked when any of my friends were looking for jobs, either.

(talking about recent grads /entry level below... guessing it changes as you progress in career)

I don't think they ever ask you about it in an interview, but I'm guessing it is primarily used as a screening method to get rid of a large percentage of applications right off the bat. Many of the companies I interviewed with expressly stated that they are not interested if you don't have a 3.0 (and in some cases a 3.5....) Of course it varies by industry, some have much more competitive interview processes.

I'm pretty sure standard practice is to include your GPA on your resume if it is over 3.0 and leave it off if below hehe... If I saw a resume w/o a GPA listed I would probably assume it was pretty low.

Here are my GPAs:
High School - 3.91
Undergrad - 2.69
Graduate - 3.92

Do you know anything more about me now? :-)

that High School and Grad School are much easier than Undergrad :-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:23 pm

That you developed and drug and alcohol problem as a undergrad but did well in rehab before attending grad school?
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby knapplc » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:29 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Here are my GPAs:
High School - 3.91
Undergrad - 2.69
Graduate - 3.92

Huh. You had a crush on your cousin Michelle when you were 17, and sent her an anonymous Valentine. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's a little unusual.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:50 pm

knapplc wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Here are my GPAs:
High School - 3.91
Undergrad - 2.69
Graduate - 3.92

Huh. You had a crush on your cousin Michelle when you were 17, and sent her an anonymous Valentine. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's a little unusual.

:~(
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:19 pm

Put me in the camp of "never been asked about GPA during a job interview or listed it on a resume.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby CadensDad » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:29 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Put me in the camp of "never been asked about GPA during a job interview or listed it on a resume.

I was asked about mine, And I told them my GPS was a garmin,..... needless to say I didn't get the job

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 27)

Postby TheRock » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:32 pm

Silly woman. It's not the school's responsibility to make sure she finds just the job she wants.

It's the government's. :-B
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby jfg » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:59 am

I think this depends on the situation. If you are going to school at a liberal arts college and can't get a job because you majored in something that there aren't jobs for... you're on your own. Even if you went to a liberal arts school you're on your own because they don't promise crap.

But, there are many for profit schools out there that lure students with ads on TV and have reps that tell them to come to their school because their placement rate is over 90 percent and pretty much guarantee you a job. Problem is, those jobs are next to minimum wage. Now, I don't think those schools will lose in court but I think it would be nice to see some publicized cases so they're exposed as the rackets they are. College prices are rising because everybody thinks they need to get post high school education and end up going to these POS schools.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby JTWood » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:29 am

TheRock wrote:Silly woman. It's not the school's responsibility to make sure she finds just the job she wants.

It's the government's. :-B

lol :-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:34 pm

jfg wrote:I think this depends on the situation. If you are going to school at a liberal arts college and can't get a job because you majored in something that there aren't jobs for... you're on your own. Even if you went to a liberal arts school you're on your own because they don't promise crap.

I don't think liberal arts majors are at a big time disadvantage as some are led to believe. I've had friends who graduated with degrees in history, philosophy, and political science and entered the workplace in business and entertainment law, for example. Fact is, often times what you study in college isn't what you wind up doing 5-10 years later. Just like how it's somewhat of a rarity to find a company man these days, it's also commonplace for folks to have made two or more career changes in their lifetimes.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk