Even a college degree can't help this one... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Even a college degree can't help this one...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Even a college degree can't help this one...

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:18 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Madison wrote:In the long run, the degrees don't even really come into play. :-D

That's the truth, eventually it's all about experience.

to some degree ;-7

Read experience as length of time doing said job...not that you are "experienced" or know what the hell you're doing. :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:44 pm

Metroid wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:That's the truth, eventually it's all about experience.

to some degree ;-7

Read experience as length of time doing said job...not that you are "experienced" or know what the hell you're doing. :-D

yeah i was just trying to make a bad pun or whatever :-B
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CadensDad » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:14 pm

IF she was to apply for a job working at my company she has almost 0% chance of getting hired now that she has made this lawsuit.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:58 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
to some degree ;-7

yeah i was just trying to make a bad pun or whatever :-B

Success and failure at the same time. :-b
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:40 pm

This is only one field, but in the 20 or so interviews I went on when looking for a teaching job, never once was I asked about my High School, Undergrad, or Graduate GPAs. Granted, it's only one field as I said above, but I've never heard of it being asked when any of my friends were looking for jobs, either.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby CheeseBeger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:23 pm

bigh0rt wrote:This is only one field, but in the 20 or so interviews I went on when looking for a teaching job, never once was I asked about my High School, Undergrad, or Graduate GPAs. Granted, it's only one field as I said above, but I've never heard of it being asked when any of my friends were looking for jobs, either.

(talking about recent grads /entry level below... guessing it changes as you progress in career)

I don't think they ever ask you about it in an interview, but I'm guessing it is primarily used as a screening method to get rid of a large percentage of applications right off the bat. Many of the companies I interviewed with expressly stated that they are not interested if you don't have a 3.0 (and in some cases a 3.5....) Of course it varies by industry, some have much more competitive interview processes.

I'm pretty sure standard practice is to include your GPA on your resume if it is over 3.0 and leave it off if below hehe... If I saw a resume w/o a GPA listed I would probably assume it was pretty low.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:35 pm

CheeseBeger wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:This is only one field, but in the 20 or so interviews I went on when looking for a teaching job, never once was I asked about my High School, Undergrad, or Graduate GPAs. Granted, it's only one field as I said above, but I've never heard of it being asked when any of my friends were looking for jobs, either.

(talking about recent grads /entry level below... guessing it changes as you progress in career)

I don't think they ever ask you about it in an interview, but I'm guessing it is primarily used as a screening method to get rid of a large percentage of applications right off the bat. Many of the companies I interviewed with expressly stated that they are not interested if you don't have a 3.0 (and in some cases a 3.5....) Of course it varies by industry, some have much more competitive interview processes.

I'm pretty sure standard practice is to include your GPA on your resume if it is over 3.0 and leave it off if below hehe... If I saw a resume w/o a GPA listed I would probably assume it was pretty low.

Here are my GPAs:
High School - 3.91
Undergrad - 2.69
Graduate - 3.92

Do you know anything more about me now? :-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:40 pm

When I applied for my first full-time gig, I was only asked about my GPA from the management consulting firms I applied for and... by Google. I take it they only ask you for your GPA - if they ever ask for it - in your first round of interviews, but beyond that, I'd be surprised if they questioned about GPA later on.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:54 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:When I applied for my first full-time gig, I was only asked about my GPA from the management consulting firms I applied for and... by Google. I take it they only ask you for your GPA - if they ever ask for it - in your first round of interviews, but beyond that, I'd be surprised if they questioned about GPA later on.

Yeah, exactly. Mark down 3.0+ and keep it movin' is a pretty good idea in corporate USA. Why exclude yourself from consideration before they even get to meet you? If you nail the interview, then GPA is about the last thing most employers, in my experience are going to check on. Now lying about various crimes, your college degree (having one) or recent drug use could be quite a problem no matter what you did in the interview.

I'm in the application process for the California Highway Patrol at the moment and get to do written tests, physical tests, mental exams and drug tests, and that's just to go to the acadamy, which is more like a boot camp that you can fail out of. In all honesty, I'm sure they're just happy to see "have degree" when reading a bio these days for the CHP. I'm not sure I'd fudge on a state or fed application about my GPA though, they might actually take the extra step of requesting transcripts. In fact, I know they do.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:08 pm

CheeseBeger wrote:
I'm pretty sure standard practice is to include your GPA on your resume if it is over 3.0 and leave it off if below hehe.

This is absolutely correct. Under no circumstances should you put your GPA on your resume if it's below 3.0.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk