yahoo's season pitcher rankings messed up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

yahoo's season pitcher rankings messed up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: yahoo's season pitcher rankings messed up?

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:11 pm

i noticed a few right away that seem to have better ranking than before. notably jon lester who is ranked 276 right now but after the sorting out is now 103. huge jump and back to the rightful place imo. dunno about bedard being where he is, but i guess that could be due to his low ratios even though he hasn't pitched much. hard to make someone believe jon lester and bedard have similar value though if you judge by rankings though. (sorry for the comparison)

thanks for looking into this, especially as we head into the last week for trades. overall at a quick glance, things seem to be more correct than before. guys like lester, sabathia, even verlander are back to where they belong from this sorting out.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:50 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:i noticed a few right away that seem to have better ranking than before. notably jon lester who is ranked 276 right now but after the sorting out is now 103. huge jump and back to the rightful place imo. dunno about bedard being where he is, but i guess that could be due to his low ratios even though he hasn't pitched much. hard to make someone believe jon lester and bedard have similar value though if you judge by rankings though. (sorry for the comparison)

Why is that hard to believe? Looking forward, absolutely, Lester is much more valuable (even if Bedard were pitching again soon). But these are purely backwards-looking, and a full run in era and a tenth of a point in whip over 80 ip can help quite a bit.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:01 pm

i guess, but SPs drafted at where bedard was weren't drafted to pitch 80 innings and give you 5 wins. also, don't discount lester's 158Ks which is 3rd in the AL, a lot more value should come out of that compared to bedard's 90Ks. this shows the rankings were tweaked to give a greater value to ERA/WHIP but perhaps a bit too much? again, this is just my opinion, not saying the ranks should be a certain way but we should all try to help find a middle ground to this. but things seem to be moving in the right direction, since prior to the sorting out, bedard (131) has a higher ranking than lester (276).
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:25 pm

Agreed, but I didn't draft Lester to get a 3.8 era/1.3 whip, either. It cuts both ways. And while the extra strikeouts are something that should (and do) help Lester's ranking, the strikeout rates aren't much different (a little, but not dramatic). Plus, extra innings aren't always a good thing, particularly when the ratios are bad -- if the replacement value for a pitcher is an era below 3.8, then having those extra innings of a 3.8 era actually hurts Lester's value.

I mean, Bedard's been a disappointment, but just his longevity, not his performance. I'm pretty happy I got those 80 innings out of him. He really has been fairly valuable so far.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby fezzik » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:53 pm

That list looks much improved Genie. Good job. ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers