Should I dissallow this trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Should I dissallow this trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should I dissallow this trade?

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:12 am

12 team keeper league, team A is in first place and team B is in last place. This trade got proposed and accepted and I can't decide whether to veto it or not (me as commish)

Team A trades:
David Ortiz
Mike Lowell

Team B Trades:
Miguel Cabrera

obviously Team A seems to be getting the better deal but i'm not sure if it's lopsided enough to disallow. It seems like team A is using red sox fandom as leverage :-?
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Should I dissallow this trade?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:44 am

if you dont think it's collusion let it go
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby SumG » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:31 am

Does Team B disparately need a 3B (is his starting 3B a Kouzmanoff or Mora figure?)? If he does, the I think you let the trade go. If its just fandom speaking, then I think you can intervene.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:40 am

SumG wrote:Does Team B disparately need a 3B (is his starting 3B a Kouzmanoff or Mora figure?)? If he does, the I think you let the trade go. If its just fandom speaking, then I think you can intervene.

Miguel Cabrera is eligible at third base, so no.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Merlin401 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:02 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:12 team keeper league, team A is in first place and team B is in last place. This trade got proposed and accepted and I can't decide whether to veto it or not (me as commish)

Team A trades:
David Ortiz
Mike Lowell

Team B Trades:
Miguel Cabrera

obviously Team A seems to be getting the better deal but i'm not sure if it's lopsided enough to disallow. It seems like team A is using red sox fandom as leverage :-?

At this point in the season, given the standings, I'd personally veto it for the integrity of the league. I dont think the manager should be invited back.
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fantasy Addict » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:53 pm

This might not be a popular reply, but i have to give team A some credit. We all can learn from his strategy. One of th e best insurance options a top team in the running can buy is that "homer" guy like Ortiz. Any good fantasy baller worth his salt knows what every favorite team his competition is routing for. Once you solidify a good footing in the standings make sure you get that one player that is the face of your leaguemate's favorite team. Once his is eliminated from the playoff running you must strike.

Some may call this strategy sneaky, unethical, or even collisional. I don't. This is a chess game fellas. Always play with one eye on the end game and the other on the prize. Manager A gets some insurance for his final run, and the other gets to enjoy the rest of the season watching his favorite player even though he is out of it.

If I havent convinced you yet then here is what you should do next year. If your league primarily holds together year to year then make the winner of the consolation loser bracket (7th place after the playoffs) get awarded the first overall pick next year. This way the bottom feeders will still have something to play for even though they wont win the championship.

In one of my leagues we have the 7th-12th place teams be awarded the top 6 draft positions. The condition: They have to earn it. This will eliminate a lot of these dumb trades.

I hope this helped.
Be the change you want to see in this world.
Fantasy Addict
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Commissioner's Corner