Brian Matusz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brian Matusz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brian Matusz

Postby abrunn11 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:22 am

He is making his MLB debut tomorrow in Detroit. thebaseballcube gives him a 100 K rating and 98 efficiency rating and ranks him as the Orioles #3 prospect. Pitched 8 games in AA and was 7-0/1,55 ERA/0.91 WHIP/46 K in 46.1 innings. Might be worth looking at in AL only leagues.
abrunn11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brian Matusz

Postby J35J » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:39 pm

abrunn11 wrote:He is making his MLB debut tomorrow in Detroit. thebaseballcube gives him a 100 K rating and 98 efficiency rating and ranks him as the Orioles #3 prospect. Pitched 8 games in AA and was 7-0/1,55 ERA/0.91 WHIP/46 K in 46.1 innings. Might be worth looking at in AL only leagues.

Those ratings a thebaseballcube are funny.....with that said I'm pretty excited to see him pitch. Matusz appears to be a guy who could come in hitting the ground running....in terms of just being consistant with everything, being poised and knowing what he's doing. He doesn't have the huge upside as some others but I think his floor is pretty high.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby fbc_fan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:11 pm

J35J wrote:
abrunn11 wrote:He is making his MLB debut tomorrow in Detroit. thebaseballcube gives him a 100 K rating and 98 efficiency rating and ranks him as the Orioles #3 prospect. Pitched 8 games in AA and was 7-0/1,55 ERA/0.91 WHIP/46 K in 46.1 innings. Might be worth looking at in AL only leagues.

Those ratings a thebaseballcube are funny.....with that said I'm pretty excited to see him pitch. Matusz appears to be a guy who could come in hitting the ground running....in terms of just being consistant with everything, being poised and knowing what he's doing. He doesn't have the huge upside as some others but I think his floor is pretty high.

he is behind tillman in terms of prospect status in that organization, correct?
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby daullaz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:41 pm

fbc_fan wrote:
J35J wrote:

Correct.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:34 pm

J35J wrote:Those ratings a thebaseballcube are funny.....

Yeah I saw someone post Alderson's ratings and it was laughable. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:41 pm

fbc_fan wrote:
J35J wrote:

As far as top end, yes. But I think this year Matusz has a great chance of being more productive.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby High Inside Heater » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:35 pm

I might be in the minority on this but i'd take Matusz over Tillman. I also think the prospect pundits dont give Matusz enough credit for how high that guys floor really is. I heard the same things with Dan Haren years ago as well. A lot of it has to do with the guys FB not being mid 90's but he sits about 92 and has movement(movement is just as good as velo imo) and he can spot all his pitches well. His best pitch is a Plus-Plus curve that is pretty nasty. His change up is pretty damn well developed as well. He'll definetely be a keeper and one who will pile up K's as he has done through college and in the minors.

If I have one knock on his fantasy potential is it's the divison he pitches in, but if Bedard can thrive there then I think Matusz could as well.
High Inside Heater
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby J35J » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:42 pm

High Inside Heater wrote:I might be in the minority on this but i'd take Matusz over Tillman. I also think the prospect pundits dont give Matusz enough credit for how high that guys floor really is. I heard the same things with Dan Haren years ago as well. A lot of it has to do with the guys FB not being mid 90's but he sits about 92 and has movement(movement is just as good as velo imo) and he can spot all his pitches well. His best pitch is a Plus-Plus curve that is pretty nasty. His change up is pretty damn well developed as well. He'll definetely be a keeper and one who will pile up K's as he has done through college and in the minors.

Yup, reminds me a little of Gallardo. Gallardo usually sits 91-93(Can go higher but doesn't very often) but what he does have is very good movement on all his pitches....only difference, which is pretty big, is that Gallardo pitches in the NL Central while Matusz will be in the AL East.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Saltydog » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:35 pm

I'm hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with Matusz.

I lost Webb, and I'm considering Chris Young and Harang to be lost causes.

Greinke's starting to slide a bit as well.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed with Gallardo, Weaver and Neimann to pick up some slack.

:-o
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 142)

Postby High Inside Heater » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:30 am

J35J wrote:
High Inside Heater wrote:I might be in the minority on this but i'd take Matusz over Tillman. I also think the prospect pundits dont give Matusz enough credit for how high that guys floor really is. I heard the same things with Dan Haren years ago as well. A lot of it has to do with the guys FB not being mid 90's but he sits about 92 and has movement(movement is just as good as velo imo) and he can spot all his pitches well. His best pitch is a Plus-Plus curve that is pretty nasty. His change up is pretty damn well developed as well. He'll definetely be a keeper and one who will pile up K's as he has done through college and in the minors.

Yup, reminds me a little of Gallardo. Gallardo usually sits 91-93(Can go higher but doesn't very often) but what he does have is very good movement on all his pitches....only difference, which is pretty big, is that Gallardo pitches in the NL Central while Matusz will be in the AL East.

Yea that is my only knock on him really is the division and league he pitches in but that is something he can't control. I still fully believe if Bedard can put numbers up there then Matusz who I believe is the better talent should as well. Also Gallardo was a good comp as well cause he was widely regarded the lesser talent of Hughes and Homer Bailey on the top 100 lists a few years ago and all he has done was prove people wrong and be an emerging ace for Milwakee. Their repertoires are very similar imo.
High Inside Heater
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers