Johnny "Be Bad" Cueto - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Johnny "Be Bad" Cueto

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Johnny "Be Bad" Cueto

Postby schmidty » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:40 pm

It seems like this last shelling, at the hands of the offensively challenged Padres, was the last straw for many people. He's being mass-dropped in many leagues. Anyone have any feelings/opinions on him? I knew he was playing above his head in the 1st half, and a correction was likely in order. But he's not this awful, and should right the ship to a managable level at some point ... right?

I don't know. I don't follow the Reds that closely, and haven't heard any injury news about him. And I haven't heard anything about his job being in jeopardy. Though you'd think a guy can only get crushed so many games before management starts thinking about it.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Johnny "Be Bad" Cueto

Postby swyck » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:57 am

I'm one of those that finally cut him loose this week, after he rode my bench for a few weeks. I didn't expect that he was as good as his season start but he's been really really bad.

With that BABIP and HR\FB rate you'd think this was a luck thing due to regress, but I don't know. I saw him against the Phils and he was laying ducks in there for the slaughter. His bb\9 rate is way up so I think he's lost control of where its going. Not bad enough to walk everyone, but he can't keep out of the wheelhouse, and his stuff isn't good enough to blow people away.

I think this is mental and you never know about those things. IMO he's lost it. As for management this is Dusty so common sense doesn't come into it.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Oatsdad » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:49 am

I dropped him after that last start, too. Just too many bad starts for too long...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby schmidty » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:19 pm

Another start ... another pounding :-t

Though I watched this game, and he wasn't that bad. In fact, until 2 outs in the 6th he was cruising after giving up a lead-off HR. Weird pitch selection. He just wouldn't challenge the bad hitters with fastballs. Even Gorzellany ... one at-bat he was trying to bunt, but ended up walking when Cueto threw nothing but low breaking balls. In the inning he blew up in, he must've thrown 90% breaking balls.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby DaSh 1s » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:44 pm

What happened to him tonight?
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Reeron » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:20 am

Hip flexor injury. You'll have to wait and see if he misses his next start. Should be more info from the team on Wednesday at some point.
Reeron
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DaSh 1s » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:40 pm

He was sitting on the Waiver, I picked him up because I want to gamble on his upside.

Tue, Aug 11

Cueto (hip) was walking around normally in the clubhouse after Monday's game and suggested that he'll be OK for his next start, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

Recommendation: Of course, rarely do we rely solely upon a player's diagnosis. Wait and see how Cueto reacts overnight and when he's next scheduled to throw again.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaSh 1s » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:43 pm

Shelled.
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Philly_05 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 pm

At least you guys didn't trade Matt Holliday and Mike Moustakas for him earlier in the season. X-I
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 621)

Postby urbanbreez » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:17 am

I Could. Not. Wait. to drop him after his implosion today. It felt so good to pull the handle on that floating turd. }:-)
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates