Wright's Future - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wright's Future

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wright's Future

Postby Shakes » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:40 pm

So here we are rolling towards the end of the trade deadline in our keeper leagues and many of us have wright and put up with his miserable career saying things like "last year after the asb he went on a tear" and "hes been bad because reyes and beltran have been out"

I hate to believe that the new stadium caused he lack of well everything but avg and sbs. But i have read articles saying the stadium mismatches his swing. But if that were true you would think he would at least put numbers up when on the road.

My guess was that without Reyes on the base paths causing trouble and beltran batting behind him they are just pitching around him. But there was a time when both reyes and beltran were healthy and wright still wasn't doing anything.

But look, a guy batting .330 who is obviously making good contact with the ball to put the ball into play, maybe he did just lose his power stroke? Its hard to fathom a guy who hit 30 hrs for a couple years suddenly can barely muster 10. So whats going on?

Needless to say he will be on my keeper list unless i get an offer to help me run away with my league this year. But lets talk next year, are we nuts to think we have seen the last of the old 30/30 Wright? Will we be stuck with the 10/30 wright from now on?
I'm a better lover when your drunk.
Shakes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wright's Future

Postby thejusman1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:40 pm

A big fear for me as a Wright owner is that it's not like next year the injury concerns for the Mets aren't going to be any less heightened. Delgado's hip could fall off at any time, and Beltran isn't exactly Mr. Sturdy either. Reyes going down this season as well was just a death sentence, causing the Mets lineup to plummet to AAA status + Wright, but who is to say all three of those come back healthy next year and generate the type of protection for Wright we're holding out for?

I recall getting laughed at for saying before the ASB that Wright would finish the year with 10-15 hrs if he was lucky, at a time when everyone thought 3.5+ months would be more than enough time to reach 20 hrs. As a Wright owner, I'm not laughing that I'm right, I'm crying.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby IVIisfits138 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:42 pm

thejusman1 wrote:A big fear for me as a Wright owner is that it's not like next year the injury concerns for the Mets aren't going to be any less heightened. Delgado's hip could fall off at any time, and Beltran isn't exactly Mr. Sturdy either.

Delgado is off the books after this season.
Do Work
IVIisfits138
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Padres Fan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:24 pm

Maybe all of it is pressue, after the last 2 season collapses, maybe he feels he has to be the one to carry the team on his back, but can't mentally handle it, so his power stroke has desert him, I think it's all mental,but at least he can still hit and steal some bags.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby IVIisfits138 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:29 pm

Seems that he altered his swing to be a better fit for spacious Citi field. This could have affected his road numbers as well because I can only imagine that it would be difficult to try to alternate between being a line drive hitter and a fly ball hitter from home series to road series.
Do Work
IVIisfits138
College Coach
College Coach

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:15 am

IVIisfits138 wrote:Seems that he altered his swing to be a better fit for spacious Citi field. This could have affected his road numbers as well because I can only imagine that it would be difficult to try to alternate between being a line drive hitter and a fly ball hitter from home series to road series.

Ding Ding Ding! Right answer. I saw an article on this somewhere else too; I think if you look at his hit chart that would probably show you what he's changed....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mac-unit » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:12 am

Wright's fantasy future won't be great until Howard Johnson isn't allowed to talk to him about anything baseball. You don't just go from a possibility of 35-40 HRs to 10.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:27 am

Shakes wrote:So here we are rolling towards the end of the trade deadline in our keeper leagues and many of us have wright and put up with his miserable career saying things like "last year after the asb he went on a tear" and "hes been bad because reyes and beltran have been out"

I hate to believe that the new stadium caused he lack of well everything but avg and sbs. But i have read articles saying the stadium mismatches his swing. But if that were true you would think he would at least put numbers up when on the road.

My guess was that without Reyes on the base paths causing trouble and beltran batting behind him they are just pitching around him. But there was a time when both reyes and beltran were healthy and wright still wasn't doing anything.

But look, a guy batting .330 who is obviously making good contact with the ball to put the ball into play, maybe he did just lose his power stroke? Its hard to fathom a guy who hit 30 hrs for a couple years suddenly can barely muster 10. So whats going on?

Needless to say he will be on my keeper list unless i get an offer to help me run away with my league this year. But lets talk next year, are we nuts to think we have seen the last of the old 30/30 Wright? Will we be stuck with the 10/30 wright from now on?

Miserable career?

Nothing when Reyes and Beltran were healthy? Reyes was put on the DL May 21st, a month that Wright bat .378 with a 1.040 OPS, 22 RBI, and 9 SB. A month later, June 22, Beltran was put on the DL, while that month Wright bat .365 with a .961 OPS, 18 Runs, and 8 SB. I'd certainly be hard pressed to say that Wright was 'doing nothing' when his teammates were healthy. At that point, the only thing he wasn't doing (and still isn't doing, clearly) was hitting for power. On the day Reyes was put on the DL, he was batting .362, and when Beltran was, he was batting .349, and now he's batting .321. Also, not for nothing (and since I'm not trying to call him some tremendous performer this year, or homering), but his BABIP was through the roof to start the year, and has since settled into a more normal range, explaining the drop to his more normal .300 range...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby Shakes » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:57 pm

was just a typo, obviously i meant season considering previously to '09 he has always been a beast.
I'm a better lover when your drunk.
Shakes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MaudDib » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:48 pm

I heard a rumor somewhere that the Mets would probably move the walls in after the season. If so then this of course changes things, hopefully in Wright's favor. By the way I live in KC so I can hardly be considered credible (just incredible).
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers