Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:02 am

Yoda wrote:I'd much rather have the Yanks pitching than Sox pitching. Beckett can go down at any time with a sore pinky, Lester is good but inconsistent and the rest of the rotation is a giant question mark. Papelbon has also been much more vulnerable this year.



Beckett can go down at any time? What about Burnett???? Also, talk about inconsistent, what did Burnett do in his last start? Lester and Burnett are pretty much equal in this respect.. and funny thing is, if you look at their stats, it shows. Please tell me all about CC Sabathia's consistent play in October as well. I'll admit, I've been a bit nervous about Papelbon this season, but he seems to get things together in September and October, so I will hope the same thing happens this year. I think both pitching staffs have their weaknesses... but the Red Sox pitching staff is the better one, IMO. That being said, the Yankees offense is still the best in baseball...

Offensively, for the Red Sox, having V-mart means that Ortiz, Youk, and Tek can get one day off per week, and probably Lowell gets two days off per week. Of course V-mart gets a day off per week too. This is going to make it so that these players should be fresh at the end of the season. I think this will help them when both teams are fighting for the division in September, as well as in October, if they should make it there.

Shortstop is a weakness... has been since the Nomar trade, and yet they have found a way to make it work.

But there is a reason why they play the games. We shall see what happens. I think these teams are pretty evenly matched. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down to the last week this season.

Max
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2084
Joined: 8 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boston, MA.

Re: Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:15 am

WyldStallyn wrote:
Yoda wrote:I'd much rather have the Yanks pitching than Sox pitching. Beckett can go down at any time with a sore pinky, Lester is good but inconsistent and the rest of the rotation is a giant question mark. Papelbon has also been much more vulnerable this year.


beckett game starts:
2005: 29
2006: 33
2007: 30
2008: 27
2009: on pace for 33

yeah, he is a huge injury risk waiting to happen :-?


Not saying he is a huge risk but he does get injured every single year evidenced by the number of starts.

Sox fans, don't get your panties in a wad just because the Yanks have the better pitching right now.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Postby HipHipJorge » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:18 am

Beckett injury risk? And you say nothing about AJ? Do you even look at stats before you say things?

As I have said. This isn't about the Yanks not making the playoffs or having a bad team. I am saying that in no way do the Yanks have the division locked up. And Tampa has noooo pitching.

This discussion will get played out this week. But for anywhere here: Do you really think either the Sox or the Yanks will not be in the playoffs?
HipHipJorge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 535
Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:33 am

quitesanemax wrote:Beckett can go down at any time? What about Burnett???? Also, talk about inconsistent, what did Burnett do in his last start? Lester and Burnett are pretty much equal in this respect.. and funny thing is, if you look at their stats, it shows. Please tell me all about CC Sabathia's consistent play in October as well. I'll admit, I've been a bit nervous about Papelbon this season, but he seems to get things together in September and October, so I will hope the same thing happens this year. I think both pitching staffs have their weaknesses... but the Red Sox pitching staff is the better one, IMO. That being said, the Yankees offense is still the best in baseball...


Yeah except Burnett is probably their #3 at best and you are comparing him to the Sox #1, 2.

CC's consistency in October? He's pitched all of 5 games. Can you say sample size?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:35 am

HipHipJorge wrote:Beckett injury risk? And you say nothing about AJ? Do you even look at stats before you say things?


Let's look at this logically without emotion. Beckett is your #1... Burnett is Yanks #3 at best right now. Yanks would be fine with CC, Pettitte, Joba and Hughes potentially filling in for Burnett. Beckett goes down for any amount of time and the Sox are screwed. If you can't see the difference then I don't know what to tell you.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Postby HipHipJorge » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:47 am

How has CC done in the ALCS? How has Joba done, before the past 4 games? Who is going to bridge the gap between starters and Hughes.

Please Yoda...now your just saying stuff that doesn't make sense. Look we can say Smoltz is gonna be alright because of "small sample size"

And AJ sure is not paid like a number 2 :-? Who is their fifth starter?
HipHipJorge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 535
Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:57 am

HipHipJorge wrote:How has CC done in the ALCS? How has Joba done, before the past 4 games? Who is going to bridge the gap between starters and Hughes.

Please Yoda...now your just saying stuff that doesn't make sense. Look we can say Smoltz is gonna be alright because of "small sample size"

And AJ sure is not paid like a number 2 :-? Who is their fifth starter?


Reading comprehension 101. Go back and read my posts.

CC's had all of 5 games in the post season. You want to judge him based on that then you go right head. Yanks have the edge in pitching right now. I'm not talking about a month ago or 3 months ago or last year.

Just because someone is paid like a #2 doesn't mean that he is. Is Matzusaka your #2 because he is paid more than the rest of your starters except Beckett? Or Zito is the Giants #1 because he gets paid like one?

Please be logical.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:16 pm

Doesn't look like CC is going to be pushing 240+ coming into October this year either......he's been worked hard the last two seasons which could be the reason he's struggled in the playoffs.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:20 pm

HipHipJorge wrote:How has CC done in the ALCS?


Before you guys worry about who does what in ALCS' you have to get there first. There is never a guarantee. A cold streak for a couple of weeks, and BAM! you gone.

It will be interesting if someone like Duscherererererer makes it through waivers. There might be a bit of August trade action :-L
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11363
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:54 pm

I was looking at Burnett as the #2, and I hadn't realized that Joba was doing okay. While the Yankees have a few questionmarks on their staff, none are doing as bad as Smoltz, and Penny right now... not to mention Buchholtz after his last start. So I guess I have to concede. At the moment, the Yankees pitching staff is doing better this season. Not sure how that happened. Guess it doesn't help when Wake goes to the DL, DiceK has a 5 year old nutty, and Smoltz just can't seem to get his stuff back. While the RedSox pitching staff has the potential to be great, it hasn't been all that.

Guess that does mean the Yanks have the edge.... but of course there is a reason why they play the games anyway. Both of these teams have been streaky. The Yankees were hot in July, and the Sox were cold. All it takes is a switch in momentum for August.... stranger things have happened this decade.

Max
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2084
Joined: 8 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boston, MA.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: threelions and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact