Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Postby ayebatter » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:39 pm

Yoda wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:Lowrie last year was an above-average defensive shortstop and adequate at the plate even with a wrist injury the last two months of the season. Given the rest of the lineup, I hardly think SS is a black hole, especially once Lowrie gets back into the swing of things as the every day SS again.

That is a big if.

Gotta give him credit for being a bit more positive than "if". But I'd have to agree with ya, that's a big ""once".
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1358)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Winners/Losers of

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:56 pm

It's really frustrating that the Yankees would be up 8.5 games if they could have just split the 8 games with BOS instead of lose all 8. %-6
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NWSoxaholic » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:54 am

Sooo... back on topic.

Winners-

Phils- agree with first post, they got the starter they needed.
Pirates- pretty good return on some players (and also agree that McLouth trade is starting to look pretty good). Hopefully once these guys start making it they won't be traded.
Red Sox- whether you like it or not, they didn't give up very much to get Victor Martinez. Allows time off for Varitek and Lowell.
Giants(in a short-sighted kind of way)- seems like they are shooting for the wild card this year, added a bit of offense (by over-paying), but they really don't need a whole lot with their pitching.

Losers-
Toronto- I thought they needed to shed payroll? If that was the case probably a good time to get a bunch of cost controlled guys and look a bit farther ahead. Maybe asked a bit too much for Halladay, and ended up "stuck" with him. Don't see them competing in the AL East logjam anytime soon.
Mets- Not sure what I expected, but guess they are throwing in the towel for the year.
NWSoxaholic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby APAP » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:34 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
APAP wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Yankees are the favourites for the division now, certainly. I'd be surprised if Boston holds off Tampa with that terrible rotation.

Lol. :-b

What's so funny? He's right.

Bullpen sucks.
Back half of the rotation sucks.
Yet to have enough consistency to justify paying that much for AJ and CC.

You act as if the Yanks have already blasted off and clinched the title. They half a 1/2 game lead and that's all. 0-8 vs. Boston thus far. You can say that is doesn't matter but 2 more wins by the Sox and in the event of a tie atop the division which isnt too out of the question and the Sox have that. Hold off Tampa? Terrible rotation?

I would check the numbers before coming out with the claim of "terrible rotation". All around Bostons pitching is much better then New Yorks, especially when you add the bullpen. Kind of a stupid claim to make with your team's rotation.
Thanks to soty for this sig
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:51 pm

Red Sox Nation is angry.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:29 pm

I'd much rather have the Yanks pitching than Sox pitching. Beckett can go down at any time with a sore pinky, Lester is good but inconsistent and the rest of the rotation is a giant question mark. Papelbon has also been much more vulnerable this year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ayebatter » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Yoda wrote:I'd much rather have the Yanks pitching than Sox pitching. Beckett can go down at any time with a sore pinky, Lester is good but inconsistent and the rest of the rotation is a giant question mark. Papelbon has also been much more vulnerable this year.

I too would rather have CC - AJ - Pettitte - Joba than Becket - Lester - Smoltz - Bucholz, and the only thing Papelbon is doing better than Mariano is glare.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1358)

Postby APAP » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:23 pm

Yoda wrote:I'd much rather have the Yanks pitching than Sox pitching. Beckett can go down at any time with a sore pinky, Lester is good but inconsistent and the rest of the rotation is a giant question mark. Papelbon has also been much more vulnerable this year.

Ya but you're determined to hate anything Boston no matter what so I take everything you say about Red Sox/Yankees with a grain of salt anyway
Thanks to soty for this sig
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:41 pm

APAP wrote:

Ya but you're determined to hate anything Boston no matter what so I take everything you say about Red Sox/Yankees with a grain of salt anyway

And I'll take your response with a grain of salt. ;-)
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WyldStallyn » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:23 am

beckett game starts:
2005: 29
2006: 33
2007: 30
2008: 27
2009: on pace for 33

yeah, he is a huge injury risk waiting to happen :-?
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers