Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:10 pm

The Yankees are the frontrunners for me (I think they are a better team, their adjusted record is much better), and it's because neither team made a major impact move at the trade deadline (no, adding a .800 OPS bat at positions where you already had .800+ OPS bats doesn't count).

Tampa continues to have the best run differential in baseball, they didn't have to make a move. It's only a matter of time until Tampa catches up to one of them, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be Boston this year.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 pm

Buchholz just allowed 6 runs in the 3rd inning against Baltimore. Of course it's not going to end up mattering because the Red Sox have scored 10, but there doesn't seem to be that many starting pitchers on this team that you can trust to give a consistent quality outing. I think they are going to have to make a waiver trade of some kind.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby HipHipJorge » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:26 pm

Are the Yankees winning right now. I still do not understand how you can say a team is superior when they still have not beat the Red Sox all year.

And you think the Red Sox staff is messy. Who the Yanks got? CC, who we crushed in ALCS. And AJ B. Please. Get off the Yanks junk and look at the whole team not just the offense. ;-D

Spelling me bad %-6
HipHipJorge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:53 pm

HipHipJorge wrote:Are the Yankees winning right now. I still do not understand how you can say a team is superior when they still have not beat the Red Sox all year.

An 8 game sample size is meaningless to me.

And you think the Red Sox staff is messy. Who the Yanks got? CC, who we crushed in ALCS. And AJ B. Please. Get off the Yanks junk and look at the whole team not just the offense. ;-D

I hate the Yankees, but they have been the better team this season.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby HipHipJorge » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:01 pm

LooK at the Yanks record vs. Tampa and Boston. Then let me know.

They are worse at fielding, team ERA, QS and IP. I agree they are unstoppable on offense. But not against good teams. As you can see with them stumbling vs. the white sox. Also, look at their record away from home.

If you could tell me why they are better; esp. after the trade deadline in what areas I would really be interested to know.
HipHipJorge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:27 pm

mweir145 wrote:The Yankees are the frontrunners for me (I think they are a better team, their adjusted record is much better), and it's because neither team made a major impact move at the trade deadline (no, adding a .800 OPS bat at positions where you already had .800+ OPS bats doesn't count).

Tampa continues to have the best run differential in baseball, they didn't have to make a move. It's only a matter of time until Tampa catches up to one of them, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be Boston this year.

You think .836 OPS (which is going to improve after today) is not an upgrade over a .748 (ortiz), a .794 (varitek), a .680 (Kottaras), and a .778 (LaRoche) OPS? Because it is. Especially considering that Lowell and Varitek need time off due to injuries. Plus this allows Youk to move to third more often which improves the infield defense.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:07 pm

David Ortiz's OPS has been well over .900 since the beginning of June. Nobody should be getting his ABs. And despite being a virtual corpse at 3B, Mike Lowell can still also hit.

Yes, Martinez is definitely an upgrade on Varitek offensively for the rest of this season, but the two of them will probably split time at the position (especially due to Varitek's superior defense and experience with the team's pitchers).

It's an improvement on what they had, but it's not the kind of impact move that makes them better than New York (or Tampa) in my eyes.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:14 pm

thedude wrote:
mweir145 wrote:The Yankees are the frontrunners for me (I think they are a better team, their adjusted record is much better), and it's because neither team made a major impact move at the trade deadline (no, adding a .800 OPS bat at positions where you already had .800+ OPS bats doesn't count).

You think .836 OPS (which is going to improve after today) is not an upgrade over a .748 (ortiz), a .794 (varitek), a .680 (Kottaras), and a .778 (LaRoche) OPS? Because it is. Especially considering that Lowell and Varitek need time off due to injuries. Plus this allows Youk to move to third more often which improves the infield defense.

Too bad their pitching sucks. Not to mention the blackhole at SS.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bloody Sox » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:25 pm

Yoda wrote:
thedude wrote:

Too bad their pitching sucks. Not to mention the blackhole at SS.

Lowrie last year was an above-average defensive shortstop and adequate at the plate even with a wrist injury the last two months of the season. Given the rest of the lineup, I hardly think SS is a black hole, especially once Lowrie gets back into the swing of things as the every day SS again.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Yoda » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:26 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:Lowrie last year was an above-average defensive shortstop and adequate at the plate even with a wrist injury the last two months of the season. Given the rest of the lineup, I hardly think SS is a black hole, especially once Lowrie gets back into the swing of things as the every day SS again.

That is a big if.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers