Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Postby APAP » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:28 pm

mweir145 wrote:Yankees are the favourites for the division now, certainly. I'd be surprised if Boston holds off Tampa with that terrible rotation.

Lol. :-b
Thanks to soty for this sig
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:06 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:St Louis:
Trading your 3B if the very near future for 2 months of Matt Holliday. FAIL.

Dodgers:
A potentially good power 3B and a lottery ticket arm for an 8th innings reliever (which you already have 2 of). FAIL.

The Cards are already in serious negotiations with Holliday to sign him long-term. Also, I think many people are overrating Wallace as he's not a power hitter and I doubt he'll stay at 3B as his body is not suited for the hot corner.
Also, I like the Sherrill pickup as he's a much needed left-handed boost to an overused and unproven pen. 3 ks in 1 IP tonight.

Do you really think that Boras will let him sign, before he can use other teams as leverage?
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:45 pm

APAP wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Yankees are the favourites for the division now, certainly. I'd be surprised if Boston holds off Tampa with that terrible rotation.

What's so funny? He's right.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby ayebatter » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:08 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
APAP wrote:

Agreed
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1605)

Postby HipHipJorge » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:03 pm

Yanks get clubbed tonight. Did nothing with trades. Have no pitching. Have not beat the red sox yet. CC/AJ looked real good in Chi-Town. Joba on a pitch count. 4-5 pitchers are awful. Nothing in the farm. A-rod can no longer play defense. Outfield sucks (defensively).

Admit Hughes has looked excellent and their offense is sick. But I see no long relief and their fifth starters suck. Once the Yanks beat the Sox at least once this season it is a lil early to crown them champs.

And V-Mart/and or Yanks rivals did not do much. We just got a switch hitting All-Star C for Justin Masterson. We kept Clay, Bowdon and Lars. We now have a line up of: Ells, Pede, Vmart, Youk, Ortiz (who is heating up) Bay, Drew. That is pretty solid.

Yanks locked up title is a bad, bad joke. :-t Will they make the playoffs most likely. But wait till after the series this week. BC if we win tonight, I think it only 1/2 game.

One
HipHipJorge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:10 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:St Louis:
Trading your 3B if the very near future for 2 months of Matt Holliday. FAIL.

Dodgers:
A potentially good power 3B and a lottery ticket arm for an 8th innings reliever (which you already have 2 of). FAIL.

The Cards are already in serious negotiations with Holliday to sign him long-term. Also, I think many people are overrating Wallace as he's not a power hitter and I doubt he'll stay at 3B as his body is not suited for the hot corner.
Also, I like the Sherrill pickup as he's a much needed left-handed boost to an overused and unproven pen. 3 ks in 1 IP tonight.

Do you really think that Boras will let him sign, before he can use other teams as leverage?

I honestly don't think the Cards would have made that deal if they didn't already think they had a good chance.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 103)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:34 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:You didn't mention the DeRosa trade, which has already paid off dividends.

That is a trade that doesn't have as obvious a conclusion as the Holliday one IMO.

DeRosa is a FA after '09 and is 35 in February next year.
Cleveland could potentially have got themselves an elite 8th/9th innings package for a couple of months of DeRosa. Emphasis on potentially. Perez certainly has big Ks in his arm, and Todd looks excellent.

I didn't mention this one because it is incomplete IMO. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:20 am

Havok1517 wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

I honestly don't think the Cards would have made that deal if they didn't already think they had a good chance.

Thats not really an answer to my question. I was talkin about Boras. The Cards can think whatever they want. But I cant recall a case, (and too lazy to look it up), when Boras did not try to extract the maximum. And that means testing free agency.

The Cards have a chance to sign him long term, but that chance is slim. Im pretty sure it'll turn into a bidding war they wont be able to match the big spenders. Even with increased budget they have to be bid with Pujols contract in mind that'll expire after the 2011 season, assuming they'll pick up the 2011 option at $16 mill.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:05 am

ayebatter wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
APAP wrote:Lol. :-b

Agreed

Well, if that is the case (I don't agree), then that means that the Yankees were the dominant favorites before the trade deadline and that the Rays were about to blow past Boston. The Red Sox added Victor Martinez, the Yankees added Jerry Hairston Jr., and the Rays added no one. The notion that the Red Sox' chances in the division were lessened (or unchanged) at the trade deadline makes zero sense.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 20)

Postby Yoda » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:18 am

Bloody Sox wrote:Well, if that is the case (I don't agree), then that means that the Yankees were the dominant favorites before the trade deadline and that the Rays were about to blow past Boston. The Red Sox added Victor Martinez, the Yankees added Jerry Hairston Jr., and the Rays added no one. The notion that the Red Sox' chances in the division were lessened (or unchanged) at the trade deadline makes zero sense.

They still have a huge hole at SS and a ton of questions in the rotation outside of Beckett. Lester's solid but he is getting hit this year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers