Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:32 pm

Who does everyone think won/lost this year in trades?

My winners:

Phils- gave up four non-elite prospects and got EXACTLY what they needed: one ace and one bench RH-hitting OF under cost control for a few years who provides good depth and insurance in case one of the OF prospects doesn't pan out

Pirates- got a whole bunch of prospects back for four guys who were solid players, but not difference-makers (McLouth is overrated as he's terrible defensively in CF, Sanchez/Wilson were gone after this year anyways, and Grabow didn't have much value to Pirates either....)

Yankees- shored up the only hole this team really had (though a minor one, they badly needed a backup SS/3B for ARod/Jeter). Could have used a 5th starter and/or maybe a bullpen arm as well, but the reality is they got Hairston basically for free. In addition(as others have said), their rivals didn't really make a big move...

White Sox- in the end, they got Peavy without giving up a whole lot, once you consider that they hold peavy through 2013.

Losers:
Cincinatti- I just don't get why you'd give up prospects to get Rolen, an old guy who has 1.5 years left on his contract. I think the idea here is to compete in 2010, but I think that might be a little early and foolish as an organizational plan; most of the guys they have are still really young and I would say that it'd be smarter to get ready for a run in 2011 or 2012, once these guys are more experienced.

Jays- I don't see why you'd only give up Rolen if you're looking to cut costs. Either go ahead and compete in 2010 or tear the whole thing down now. Also should've given someone Barajas (doesn't even seem like they tried to do this, and I think there are a few NL teams who may have been interested in him). Scutaro might have been movable, though he is a type A free agent. And some of the bullpen arms (ie Frasor) might have been able to net you something as well, and the gays have plenty of solid MR types. If the plan doesn't include competing in 2010, then they shoudl've traded Halladay as well

Mets- doing nothing in their situation is just foolish if you ask me. Are they looking to compete this year? because I see no way that happens, so you may as well get rid of some payroll, especially when you have some guys that are on 1-year deals and could be useful on an ML roster. Sheff, Tatis, and LIvan should have been gone at least.....

Royals- nothing else here needs to be said. Yuniesky Betancourt trade tops my list of awful awful trades for this year.
Last edited by buffalobillsrul2002 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Winners/Losers of "Trade Wars"

Postby neoforce » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:36 pm

As a Yankee fan, I can't put them in as a winner. Yes, the trade they made filled a hole, but they really did need some insurance at starting pitcher. Joba is on a inning limit, Hughes has a role in the pen, Kennedy/Wang hurt. No options in triple A. They could convert Hughes or Ace, but they really needed another guy.

Now, given the financial muscle they have, the Yankees might be able to get someone who passes through waivers if they get stuck.

Not a "loss" for the Yankees, but not a "win" either.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:38 pm

The biggest win for the Yankees was that neither Halladay or Gonzalez went to Boston. As a Yankee fan, I'm content with this trade deadline just because of that.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:42 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:The biggest win for the Yankees was that neither Halladay or Gonzalez went to Boston. As a Yankee fan, I'm content with this trade deadline just because of that.

Yankees are the favourites for the division now, certainly. I'd be surprised if Boston holds off Tampa with that terrible rotation.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:50 pm

Regarding the Yankees, I'd say taht Aceves/Mitre/etc. might be enoguh to work as 5th starter for these last two months. And they won't need a 5th starter once the playoffs come around (I'd say they are a near certainty to make it at this point)
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:52 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Jays- I don't see why you'd only give up Rolen if you're looking to cut costs. Either go ahead and compete in 2010 or tear the whole thing down now. Also should've given someone Barajas (doesn't even seem like they tried to do this, and I think there are a few NL teams who may have been interested in him). Scutaro might have been movable, though he is a type A free agent. And some of the bullpen arms (ie Frasor) might have been able to net you something as well, and the gays have plenty of solid MR types. If the plan doesn't include competing in 2010, then they shoudl've traded Halladay as well

I think they are going to try to contend in 2010. Or else they would have traded everybody away. It obviously gets more difficult to do that without a good 3B, though.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby neoforce » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:16 pm

Weird we are focusing on the Yankees given they did nothing, but the first post here called them winners, and I think they are neutral...

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Regarding the Yankees, I'd say taht Aceves/Mitre/etc. might be enoguh to work as 5th starter for these last two months. And they won't need a 5th starter once the playoffs come around (I'd say they are a near certainty to make it at this point)

On the above, you are missing the point that their #3 starter, Joba, may not be starting in Sept, depending on what they do with inning limits. Which is why I think they might need a starter. But I'm not too worried about that, there are indeed trades for expensive guys who pass through waivers.

mweir145 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:The biggest win for the Yankees was that neither Halladay or Gonzalez went to Boston. As a Yankee fan, I'm content with this trade deadline just because of that.

+1 on that. VMart helps the Sox. But not like Halladay or Gonzalez would have.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby JTWood » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:37 pm

Cards +

Fixed their offense something right. ;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Padres Fan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:02 pm

I am a Padres and hate to see Peavey go, but like the prospects we got
, wish they could've got more

Winners

Boston-V-Mart, who ever said the Yankees division rivals didnt do anything forgot this trade.
Phillies-only for 2009
Cleveland should be good int he coming years
Hon. Mention- Pirates but only if the dn't trade everyone off

Losers
Chicago and Mets for not doing anything really
San Francisco for giving too much for Sanchez
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby nsulham » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:13 pm

mweir145 wrote:

Yankees are the favourites for the division now, certainly. I'd be surprised if Boston holds off Tampa with that terrible rotation.

"Terrible" rotation? You're going to have to explain that one to me, unless that's likely your anti-Boston bias speaking.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers