Peavy to ChiSox - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Peavy to ChiSox

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Peavy to ChiSox

Postby MasterX1918 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:53 pm

I'm kind of late, but this seems like an awful deal for the Padres. I understand that Gordan Beckham is probably untouchable, but he would've been the perfect guy for the Padres to get. A top of the rotation guy with Peavy's ability should be able to get you much more than 4 mediocre pitching prospects. They desperately need some young middle infield talent, and in my opinion Peavy should be able to get you a guy like Beckham.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:30 pm

I'm sure they would've liked to get Beckham, but he was certainly off-limits. The Pads were under pressure to cut payroll (by a LOT, iirc). They get 4 young pitchers (2 with good upside, 1 with solid bottom-of-the-rotation potential) and shed $50+ mil in the process. Not a bad deal, especially for a guy on the dl for the last 2 months or so.

They'll be picking high enough in the draft to get their hitters there, anyway. As long as they avoid those Matt Bush-type picks.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby MasterX1918 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:35 pm

All that i'm saying is that should have, and could have gotten more.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby CadensDad » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:02 am

MasterX1918 wrote:All that i'm saying is that should have, and could have gotten more.

QFT they waited too late to move him, he should have been moved in the offseason when they where offered more.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Padres Fan » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:15 am

CadensDad wrote:
MasterX1918 wrote:All that i'm saying is that should have, and could have gotten more.

QFT they waited too late to move him, he should have been moved in the offseason when they where offered more.

They tried but Peavey handcuffed them with his no trade clause,, In the long run I think the Sox lost out on this trade, as Peavey has a violent delivery that causes injury issues, plus how will Peavey help the Sox in 2009? he is still iffy coming back this season.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:21 am

i don't think peavy will do that well in the AL, he doesn't dominate outside of petco and has a bad history against AL teams.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:00 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:i don't think peavy will do that well in the AL, he doesn't dominate outside of petco and has a bad history against AL teams.

He has a career 3.84 ERA on the road. I suspect he'll be an AJ Burnett type pitcher in the AL.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Philliebuster » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:23 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:i don't think peavy will do that well in the AL, he doesn't dominate outside of petco and has a bad history against AL teams.

His stats are fine in interleague play to date. 20 starts, 3.29era, 120 ip, 33 bb, 113 k, 1.17whip.

I would have preferred to keep him in the NL, but he should be getting more run support. I was a proud peavy owner until a month ago, dealt him for Zobrist and a #1 Round Draft Pick (keeper league 8th rd equivalent). I personally didn't think he would be back this season.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:15 am

mweir145 wrote:

He has a career 3.84 ERA on the road. I suspect he'll be an AJ Burnett type pitcher in the AL.

He had far better control than AJ. He won't post sub 3 ERA but I think he will be more like Beckett in Boston.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RAmst23 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:53 am

Padres Fan wrote:
CadensDad wrote:

They tried but Peavey handcuffed them with his no trade clause,, In the long run I think the Sox lost out on this trade, as Peavey has a violent delivery that causes injury issues, plus how will Peavey help the Sox in 2009? he is still iffy coming back this season.

On the White Sox telecast, the announcers said the hope is for Peavy to be ready at the end of August (8/25). There's a 3 series set that goes Boston/NYY/Min that management hopes they can use Peavy for.

The White Sox don't play in a tough division now, and it doesn't appear as if the AL Central will be much tougher next year. Trading for Peavy makes the White Sox clear favorites, and gives them a great 1/2 combo for short playoff series.

Regarding injury history, I know it seems like Peavy is always out but he really does pitch quite a few innings. Not counting this year, his lowest IP total since 2003 is 166 innings. Last year he threw 173 innings, and the 3 years prior to that pitcher 200 innings+.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers