Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:54 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
He didn't say that :-C

I dont want to be attributed to anything you say. :-D

RocketsDWM wrote:I like little boys, and gas station bathrooms

There we go, much more realistic :-D :-D :-D :-D

Considering the standings in our Cafe league, I will let that slide.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Braves land Laroche

Postby CadensDad » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:56 pm

Braves didn't need another LH first baseman, they needed a RH corner OF or someone to toss in the bullpen (HELLO HEATH BELL)

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:57 pm

CadensDad wrote: someone to toss in the bullpen (HELLO HEATH BELL)

Haha, they also need a relief pitcher. :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:26 pm

Theo's reasoning:

On trading Adam LaRoche: "LaRoche did a nice job while he was here, but we felt all along, the best fit for him is if he had to close to everyday at-bats, at least every day against righthanded pitching, while at first base. With the addition of Victor Martinez, there's not quite as many at-bats available at first base. I think with LaRoche's timing mechanism, swing -- and approach in general -- he needs to play to be productive. He needs to play every day or close to it, whereas Casey Kotchman has a little different approach at the plate, might play better in a little different type role. Kotchman is also an elite defender and might be somebody you see coming in late in games for defense on days when Victor Martinez starts at first base."
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:51 am

RocketsDWM wrote:Theo's reasoning:

On trading Adam LaRoche: "LaRoche did a nice job while he was here, but we felt all along, the best fit for him is if he had to close to everyday at-bats, at least every day against righthanded pitching, while at first base. With the addition of Victor Martinez, there's not quite as many at-bats available at first base. I think with LaRoche's timing mechanism, swing -- and approach in general -- he needs to play to be productive. He needs to play every day or close to it, whereas Casey Kotchman has a little different approach at the plate, might play better in a little different type role. Kotchman is also an elite defender and might be somebody you see coming in late in games for defense on days when Victor Martinez starts at first base."

So Kotchman = Mientkiewicz role. :-?
Makes sense.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:52 am

Thoughts on each side:

For the Sox, Kotchman's a pretty good 1B right now and he's in decent (not incredible but decent) physical shape. It seems they could teach him to play 1B/3B/LF at least, and maybe even a little RF for next year. He could be a mini-Youkilis for them in a bench role for next year. if they can do, and do do this, it's a good move for them, as LaRoche was worth nothing to the Sox at this point as a pinch-hitter/ backup or 3rd string 1B.

For the Braves, I actually really like this deal. LaRoche is a great 2nd half hitter, and he's a much better hitter than Kotchman when counting the 2nd half of the year only. It's an upgrade for the Braves for this year. And I wouldn't worry too much about 1B for next year, there are always plenty of fine 1B on the free agent market/trade market and guys like Huff, Delgado, etc. could be signed to 1-year deals. if worst comes to worst, Braves play Prado as everyday 1B next year (though that would be like a repeat of this year; good D and OBP with no power).
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby wake » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:29 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:For the Braves, I actually really like this deal. LaRoche is a great 2nd half hitter, and he's a much better hitter than Kotchman when counting the 2nd half of the year only. It's an upgrade for the Braves for this year. And I wouldn't worry too much about 1B for next year, there are always plenty of fine 1B on the free agent market/trade market and guys like Huff, Delgado, etc. could be signed to 1-year deals. if worst comes to worst, Braves play Prado as everyday 1B next year (though that would be like a repeat of this year; good D and OBP with no power).

I wouldn't be surprised if the Braves try Freeman as the starting 1st baseman next season. I think it would be a little early for him, but the Braves preference seems to be for Heyward and Freeman to advance to each level at the same time since they're such close friends.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers