Seattle - Washburn - NewYork... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Seattle - Washburn - NewYork...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Seattle - Washburn - NewYork...

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:55 pm

Seriously, as a Washburn owner, if this happens I'll literally flip a [mod edit].

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:02 pm

Yoda wrote:Just cracks me up how overvalued these pitchers get when pitching remotely well for a couple months. SEA better move him this year if they were smart.

To be fair, the numbers are incredibly shiny. Granted, it's because he's a flyball pitcher in a park that suppresses HRs and he's got the best OF defense in baseball behind him. It cracks me up that we couldn't give the guy away last year and now we might get something for him. It's funny I was watching the Dbacks game last night and Mark Grace was guessing at who was going where and after he said he still thought Halladay would go to the Phillies, he said Washburn was going to get dealt to the Red Sox for Buchholz. If only Theo was as dumb as Mark Grace. :-b
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:19 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Yoda wrote:Just cracks me up how overvalued these pitchers get when pitching remotely well for a couple months. SEA better move him this year if they were smart.

To be fair, the numbers are incredibly shiny. Granted, it's because he's a flyball pitcher in a park that suppresses HRs and he's got the best OF defense in baseball behind him. It cracks me up that we couldn't give the guy away last year and now we might get something for him. It's funny I was watching the Dbacks game last night and Mark Grace was guessing at who was going where and after he said he still thought Halladay would go to the Phillies, he said Washburn was going to get dealt to the Red Sox for Buchholz. If only Theo was as dumb as Mark Grace. :-b

The Yankees tried to get him at the deadline last year when his stats were completely average and the asking price then was Hughes or Joba when the Yankees were essentially looking to let the Mariners dump his salary on them.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:24 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

The Yankees tried to get him at the deadline last year when his stats were completely average and the asking price then was Hughes or Joba when the Yankees were essentially looking to let the Mariners dump his salary on them.

I was thinking the asking price was Melky and they wanted Seattle to pay his salary, but I could be mistaken. I also remember something with Minnesota falling apart when ownership shot down a deal made by the interim GM.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:28 pm

I thought the Yankees were going to take on the whole contract for Washburn last year and then the Mariners said they needed a prospect back and the Yankees backed out? :-?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:32 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I thought the Yankees were going to take on the whole contract for Washburn last year and then the Mariners said they needed a prospect back and the Yankees backed out? :-?

That could be. I do remember Melky and/or Gardner being mentioned, but not Hughes or Joba although it's certainly possible. The way ownership approached the deadline last year with a lame duck GM was to essentially not allow him to do anything unless he was clearly ripping the other team off. That sucked.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:34 pm

At the very least there was a report that Seattle wanted Hughes or Joba last year and the Yankees laughed in their face. Whether or not that report was legitimate I don't know. I do remember talk about a Melky/Gardner for Washburn deal too close to the deadline.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 119)

Postby horatio » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:09 pm

No....NO....NOOOOOOO

Washburn is my best pitcher now. Don't bring him to the AL East.

--- I was thinking the same thing, I just picked him up the other day of the free agent list and after last night I'm pretty happy to have him. Really dont' need him moving from the AL west and the pitcher friendly Safeco to the launching pad in NYC.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Kraftwerk » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:22 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Lmao at Hughes or Joba for Washburn.

No freakin ' kiddin!!!!!!

That's laughable
Kraftwerk
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Mortician » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:02 pm

its true..... the M's did ask for joba or hughes.... lol

Jarrod Washburn Rumors: Thursday
By Tim Dierkes [July 30 at 3:26pm CST]

2:19pm: SI's Jon Heyman says that in their initial conversation, the Mariners requested Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes for Washburn. That pair and other top Yankees prospects figure to be off limits, but Heyman still sees New York as the favorite. He notes that the Angels would have interest in bringing Washburn back, but the Mariners might balk at the same-division issue.

the m's must have gigantic balls to ask that..
Mortician
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers