100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Surgery for Webb

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Surgery for Webb

Postby Mortician » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:24 pm

Yankees Eyeing Corey Patterson, Josh Anderson
By Tim Dierkes [July 30, 2009 at 7:41am CST]

We already knew of the Yankees' interest in recently-designated outfielder Josh Anderson; Joel Sherman of the New York Post says to add the newly-released Corey Patterson to the list. Sherman says the goal is to find a fill-in for Brett Gardner, who broke his thumb on Saturday. Anderson and Patterson both have speed, at least.

In that same blog post, Sherman draws a connection between Chien-Ming Wang and Brandon Webb. He wonders whether both pitchers could hit the free agent market after this season. On a related note, we've heard that Webb will have shoulder surgery on Monday; hopefully just a clean-up.

doesn't sound good for him coming back this year....
Mortician
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Surgery for Webb

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:01 pm

:-/ I wish they'd just announce it and extinguish all hope. Maybe then I can use my DL spot on someone that will certainly come back.

lol at someone showing interest in Corey Patterson, though. :-D :-D

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:05 am

Neato Torpedo wrote::-/ I wish they'd just announce it and extinguish all hope. Maybe then I can use my DL spot on someone that will certainly come back.

I think that if you're short on DL slots and having a DL guy wasting a roster spot is crucial, it's pretty much time to cut your losses. I drafted him on one team but that league has 5 DL slots (and I've been fortunate enough to have all 5 spots used basically year). The recent update sounds terrible and Arizona is clearly not contending. It's looking like if he doesn't shut it down, he COULD come back for like 3 starts at the end just to see where he stands before 2010. Either way, the hope of this guy coming back to provide a last season spark is fading fast.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby pjalst » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:42 am

Grounded Polo wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote::-/ I wish they'd just announce it and extinguish all hope. Maybe then I can use my DL spot on someone that will certainly come back.

I think that if you're short on DL slots and having a DL guy wasting a roster spot is crucial, it's pretty much time to cut your losses. I drafted him on one team but that league has 5 DL slots (and I've been fortunate enough to have all 5 spots used basically year). The recent update sounds terrible and Arizona is clearly not contending. It's looking like if he doesn't shut it down, he COULD come back for like 3 starts at the end just to see where he stands before 2010. Either way, the hope of this guy coming back to provide a last season spark is fading fast.

It's not worth it for him to come back for just a few starts. If he's going to have surgery he might as well get it done as soon as posible so he can have more time to recover and build his arm strength back up. I have him in a Dynasty league, so I'm holding on to him in hopes that he can make a full recovery.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Rubidium » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:15 pm

pjalst wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:

It's not worth it for him to come back for just a few starts. If he's going to have surgery he might as well get it done as soon as posible so he can have more time to recover and build his arm strength back up. I have him in a Dynasty league, so I'm holding on to him in hopes that he can make a full recovery.

Well, the reason he's been trying so hard to pitch again this year was because he could be a free agent at the end of this year, and he wants to prove to teams that he's healthy. At this point, it's looking like he might just have to take a one year deal somewhere and prove it next year, I guess.

Realistically, I know that even if he does come back, he won't be very useful, and I try never to start a pitcher coming back from injury in his first start or two anyway, but it's really hard to drop my fourth round pick when I've gotten nothing of value out of him this year. :-[ I do kinda wish they would just say he's finished for the year, although I have nobody to drop him for at the moment.
Rubidium
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby silverZ » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:35 pm

That's too bad. Boy am I glad I nabbed Doc 3 picks earlier.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:52 pm

Rubidium wrote:
pjalst wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:

Well, the reason he's been trying so hard to pitch again this year was because he could be a free agent at the end of this year, and he wants to prove to teams that he's healthy. At this point, it's looking like he might just have to take a one year deal somewhere and prove it next year, I guess.

Realistically, I know that even if he does come back, he won't be very useful, and I try never to start a pitcher coming back from injury in his first start or two anyway, but it's really hard to drop my fourth round pick when I've gotten nothing of value out of him this year. :-[ I do kinda wish they would just say he's finished for the year, although I have nobody to drop him for at the moment.

The Diamondbacks would be crazy to not exercise the 8.5M option on him.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:53 pm

silverZ wrote:That's too bad. Boy am I glad I nabbed Doc 3 picks earlier.

X2.....I remember the clock went down to the wire on that pick too lol.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Return to Baseball Leftovers