Ortiz and Manny: Tested Positive in '03 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ortiz and Manny: Tested Positive in '03

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ortiz and Manny: Tested Positive in '03

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:51 pm

forget red sox, they should be called roid sox. ;-D
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:37 pm

mweir145 wrote:It would have to happen eventually (despite his steroid/HGH use preserving him), but there were no signs that his offensive production was going to fall off a cliff. He was one of the best hitters in the league in his final season.

Although...at least they didn't blackball him before he broke the record. That would have been especially disappointing to me.

Right. I'm sure he would have stepped in as one of, if not the best, DHs in baseball. So yeah, there was some blackballing going on. We're on the same page there.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:55 pm

knapplc wrote:
mweir145 wrote:It would have to happen eventually (despite his steroid/HGH use preserving him), but there were no signs that his offensive production was going to fall off a cliff. He was one of the best hitters in the league in his final season.

Although...at least they didn't blackball him before he broke the record. That would have been especially disappointing to me.

Right. I'm sure he would have stepped in as one of, if not the best, DHs in baseball. So yeah, there was some blackballing going on. We're on the same page there.

But we're not on the same page about being disappointed by it? I'm disappointed. ;-)
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:52 pm

mweir145 wrote:
knapplc wrote:

But we're not on the same page about being disappointed by it? I'm disappointed. ;-)

Eeeehhhhhhhh....... I don't know. As a fan of baseball yeah, I'm a little disappointed. Divorcing myself from my dislike of his public persona, it's hard to argue against the beauty of his swing, the majesty of those pitches being driven out of the park. I loved watching Favre play for the Packers, even when he beat my Bears, because like Bonds he's truly great. I think there's a part of every sports fan that never wants to see Chamberlain, or Jordan, or Marino, or Farve, or Bonds, or McGwire retire. Because whatever they ingested, however unpalatable their demeanor, as a pure fan of the sport it's hard to say, "I don't want to watch the best player play."

Ignoring the PED stuff from probably every one of the guys I just listed, they're all great players, and they've all given us magic moments. It's not fun to watch that end.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tavish » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:54 pm

Greatest comeback in sports history *

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:06 am

I liked this article from June...........

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-sosa061709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

A clock-tower sniper? :-D
I wonder what Papi did to draw fire? Maybe the "sniper" figures Papi is done and wants him to feel the burn before he goes.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:15 am

Garciparra in the Boston Globe:

Former Sox player Nomar Garciaparra, now with the A’s, expressed anger shared by many major leaguers over the handling of the 2003 testing. He told reporters after yesterday’s game that the process was so flawed that innocent players may be tarnished by “false positives.’’ He also asserted that some players asked to be categorized as testing positive because they wanted to trigger mandatory testing the following year.

Who knows if that was Ortiz's case but interesting none the less.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:17 am

I could care less. Let em take whatever they want because I like watching someone hitting close to 80 hrs in a season.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:30 am

RocketsDWM wrote:Who knows if that was Ortiz's case but interesting none the less.

You're actually going to hold on to that slim possibility instead of facing the facts here?

It's not like it matters if the majority of those Red Sox teams were on steroids. Everybody was (and many still are).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:36 am

mweir145 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:Who knows if that was Ortiz's case but interesting none the less.

You're actually going to hold on to that slim possibility instead of facing the facts here?

It's not like it matters if the majority of those Red Sox teams were on steroids. Everybody was (and many still are).

I am not defending Ortiz at all. I simply posted that because it was something that I was not aware of. Thanks ;-D :-)
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers