Ortiz and Manny: Tested Positive in '03 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ortiz and Manny: Tested Positive in '03

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ortiz and Manny: Tested Positive in '03

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:02 pm

I remember when someone told me a few years ago that Ortiz didn't have the "body shape" for steroid use. ;-7
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:05 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I think you'll find that speaking out against steroids is in no way evidence that you didn't do them yourself. See Palmeiro, A-Rod, and now Papi.

Schilling next? We can hope.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:07 pm

Yoda wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but did Bonds get the shaft or what? Perhaps deservedly so due to his awful personality and relationship with the media. He was way better than any of these guys who took the same stuff that he did yet he is the only one who was essentially blackballed.

Kind of unfair, eh?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:11 pm

knapplc wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I'm not sure what point you're making about age. Are you saying it was worse for Bonds because he was older when the allegations came to light? Or older when he apparently used? And certainly there are more factors than juse use: his relationship with the media tainted the coverage he received, which tainted the perception that most people have of him, for one.

I just find it ridiculous that the same fans who threw syringes and yelled everything you can imagine at Bonds welcomed Manny back after his suspension.

Pertaining to Bonds' "blackballing," his age plays a factor. He wasn't blackballed until he was what? 43? While he could still hit and would have been a better DH than 4/5ths of the guys in the AL at that age, the very fact that he was 43 years old has to play some factor.

He had a 1.039 OPS in his final season. It's probable that he would have been one of the better DH's in the league in 2008 if he was allowed to play.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:15 pm

mweir145 wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I'm not sure what point you're making about age. Are you saying it was worse for Bonds because he was older when the allegations came to light? Or older when he apparently used? And certainly there are more factors than juse use: his relationship with the media tainted the coverage he received, which tainted the perception that most people have of him, for one.

I just find it ridiculous that the same fans who threw syringes and yelled everything you can imagine at Bonds welcomed Manny back after his suspension.

Pertaining to Bonds' "blackballing," his age plays a factor. He wasn't blackballed until he was what? 43? While he could still hit and would have been a better DH than 4/5ths of the guys in the AL at that age, the very fact that he was 43 years old has to play some factor.

He had a 1.039 OPS in his final season. It's probable that he would have been one of the better DH's in the league in 2008 if he was allowed to play.

It's also more likely than for most players that his body would have broken down at some point, being 43 years old.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:19 pm

knapplc wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
knapplc wrote:Pertaining to Bonds' "blackballing," his age plays a factor. He wasn't blackballed until he was what? 43? While he could still hit and would have been a better DH than 4/5ths of the guys in the AL at that age, the very fact that he was 43 years old has to play some factor.

It's also more likely than for most players that his body would have broken down at some point, being 43 years old.

It would have to happen eventually (despite his steroid/HGH use preserving him), but there were no signs that his offensive production was going to fall off a cliff. He was one of the best hitters in the league in his final season.

Although...at least they didn't blackball him before he broke the record. That would have been especially disappointing to me.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:26 pm

anyone see Fancona's interview about Papi and the roids? hes all sorts of pissed off at the media haha and saying that hes not going to say anything cuz it would just add to the speculation... and all he keeps saying answering EVERY question with 'I talked to David and he says hes going to take this deal on head on, and thats all im going to say' hahahaha

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:28 pm

NESN also interviewed Nomar and it seemed apparent to me that Nomar used as well.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:30 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:NESN also interviewed Nomar and it seemed apparent to me that Nomar used as well.

Let's just take back their 2004 World Series already.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Strasil42 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:51 pm

2004*
2007*
Strasil42
General Manager