Jack Wilson/Snell Traded for Jeff Clement 7 player deal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jack Wilson/Snell Traded for Jeff Clement 7 player deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jack Wilson Traded for Jeff Clement

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:53 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Could somebody explain to me why so many teams seemed to be in on Wilson? The Tigers were rumored to have wanted him for almost two years but couldn't pull off a deal......and I couldn't be happier.

No clue. I guess cause he's a decent player who plays really good defense?

Yeah, he's one of the top defensive shortstops in baseball and worth fare more in reality than in fantasy as his defense saves runs and supports potential wins.

Yes, but he's crazy overpaid for an all glove no stick guy. Almost $8 mil for that glove :-o
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jack Wilson/Snell Traded for Jeff Clement 7 player deal

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:02 pm

he's also had his own show, jackass on mtv.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Montana168 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:15 pm

change of scenery might be a good thing for snell but i'm not necessarily buying him right now. he is mowing down hitters in AAA, but there is a big difference between major league hitters and minor league hitters. Snell had a great year 2 years ago when he pitched 200 plus innings with a 3.76 ERA and 177 k's but has been pretty much awful since that breakout year. i thought about adding snell as a sleeper pitcher for the rest of the season but i'll watch him on the waiver wire until he gets a few major league starts under his belt because he now goes to a difficult division with a difficult schedule the rest of the way including multiple series against texas, LAA, and NYY.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:22 pm

So Seattle got Wilson and Snell for Clement and a bunch of lottery tickets?
Interesting.
Seattle now has the best fielding CF,SS and 3B in the bigs I think. Fielding is the new moneyball :-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Re: Jack Wilson Traded for Jeff Clement

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:30 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Yes, but he's crazy overpaid for an all glove no stick guy. Almost $8 mil for that glove :-o

And in 2/3 of the season so far, he's already been worth $9M. I wouldn't call that crazy overpaid.

Anyway, I'm disappointed because I went to bed hearing Clement/Morrow for Brignac/Kazmir, so Snell/Wilson is a bit of a letdown.

As far as the actual deal goes, I think this is mostly a deal for next year. Shortstop has been a huge black hole and Wilson fixes that. Snell has proven himself capable of being a good major league starter and definitely needed a change of scenery. He'll fit in well behind Felix in the rotation whenever he's called up (presumably after Washburn is traded). And with Pittsburgh throwing in $3.5M or so it basically makes Wilson free this year (or half price next year) so that's nice too.

Clement is basically a big sell low at this point, because over the past year he's basically shown that he won't stick at catcher (his knees are basically already shot and when he's been healthy enough to play he has not been good) and he may not hit enough to stick at 1B or DH. If he figured out how to hit lefties he'll be ok but it's not like he was ever an elite bat, he was simply considered elite because he was a pretty good bat who happened to play catcher. Cedeno looks more like a utility guy every day. The pitchers were all members of the single A rotation. I think including 3 might have pushed it into a slight overpay, but none of the guys were thought of as great prospects. Interesting arms, sure, but not great prospects.

All in all, it was a decent deal that filled a couple of pretty serious holes on the major league roster. There's always a chance that Wilson gets moved again, and I'd like to see what Z does with Washburn and everyone else before Friday before I make a final judgment. :-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby JTWood » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:33 pm

AussieDodger wrote:So Seattle got Wilson and Snell for Clement and a bunch of lottery tickets?
Interesting.
Seattle now has the best fielding CF,SS and 3B in the bigs I think. Fielding is the new moneyball :-D

Does that mean Michael Lewis is following around Zduriencik right now?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby BUCCOFAN » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
BUCCOFAN wrote:
fbc_fan wrote:
will pedro alvarez be ready by next year or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Pedro got promoted two months ago to Double-A, and started out "awful" but has bounced back and had a solid last couple of weeks, Still I think his long term position might be 1B, unless he can shed some pounds, "improve foot work" and cut down on the errors. I would like to see him at the hot corner, but we shell see. As for your question, I don't see him starting the season @ PNC Park. Will be up for a September call-up in 2010 that's for sure.

Hope that helps,

The rumor is that when Alvarez is ready they will move LaRoche to 2B.

Heard that one too, especially with all the Freddy Sanchez trade talk. Rumor has it, the team re-buffed his 3 year contract extension. Giants/Twins are the suitors.
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 252)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:46 pm

JTWood wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:So Seattle got Wilson and Snell for Clement and a bunch of lottery tickets?
Interesting.

I hope so.
I respect someone like this that has a plan. ;-D
If he can get a few big bats to complement his defense, Seattle could make some noise soon.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:02 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
JTWood wrote:
Interesting.

I hope so.
If he can get a few big bats to complement his defense, Seattle could make some noise soon.

He actually doesn't need big bats, just some less crappy ones. The M's have one of the worst offenses in baseball, but compare it to Texas, whose offense is in the top ten. The top three bats on the M's (Ichiro, Gutierrez, and Branyan) have been quite a bit better than the top three bats for the Rangers (Cruz, Young, and Kinsler). The problem is that they've trotted out black holes almost everywhere else (29th best at SS and Catcher, 27th at 3B, 13th at DH, and 30th at LF). Just some less crappy bats would be nice.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:31 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
JTWood wrote:Does that mean Michael Lewis is following around Zduriencik right now?

I hope so.

He actually doesn't need big bats, just some less crappy ones. The M's have one of the worst offenses in baseball, but compare it to Texas, whose offense is in the top ten. The top three bats on the M's (Ichiro, Gutierrez, and Branyan) have been quite a bit better than the top three bats for the Rangers (Cruz, Young, and Kinsler). The problem is that they've trotted out black holes almost everywhere else (29th best at SS and Catcher, 27th at 3B, 13th at DH, and 30th at LF). Just some less crappy bats would be nice.

You can have Betancourt back. The Royals will eat half his salary and ask for nothing in return.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers