cliff lee to the phillies? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

cliff lee to the phillies?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: cliff lee to the phillies?

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:43 pm

heyeaglefn wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:This trade somewhat reminds me of the Bartolo Colon deal.

LOL, I hope you are joking, can you tell me how the prospects rate to those players????

2002 Baseball America prospects ranking
Brandon Phillips: 20th
Grady Sizemore: n/r
Cliff Lee: n/r

At the time of the trade, Phillips was dominating AA pitching as a 21 year old (OPS 886) and was just promoted to AAA. Sizemore was struggling at A+ as a 19 year old (OPS 699). Cliff Lee was starting to figure out AA hitters as a 23 year old (ERA 3.23).

2009 Baseball America prospects ranking
Carlos Carrasco: 52nd
Lou Marson: 66th
Jason Donald: 69th
Jaons Knapp: n/r

Carrasco is struggling at AAA as a 22 year old. Marson is having a mediocre season at AAA/MLB as a 23 year old. Jason Donald is struggling at AAA as a 24 year old. Jason Knapp is starting to figure out A as a 18 year old.

Looking back, it's easy to say that the Expos were stupid to trade those prospects, but at the time, guys like Grady were relatively unknown. I'm not saying that the players the Indians got today will all turn into all-stars, but in couple of years we could see an Indians team build around these players.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Polar Bear » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:43 pm

Marson confuses me when the Indians have a catcher raking right now in the minors.

Whatever, I don't understand this at all from the Indians. They couldn't have gotten more for a Cy Young guy? Guess they are planning on rebuilding all of next year as well.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Spectrum » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:05 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:2002 Baseball America prospects ranking
Brandon Phillips: 20th
Grady Sizemore: n/r
Cliff Lee: n/r

At the time of the trade, Phillips was dominating AA pitching as a 21 year old (OPS 886) and was just promoted to AAA. Sizemore was struggling at A+ as a 19 year old (OPS 699). Cliff Lee was starting to figure out AA hitters as a 23 year old (ERA 3.23).

2009 Baseball America prospects ranking
Carlos Carrasco: 52nd
Lou Marson: 66th
Jason Donald: 69th
Jaons Knapp: n/r

Carrasco is struggling at AAA as a 22 year old. Marson is having a mediocre season at AAA/MLB as a 23 year old. Jason Donald is struggling at AAA as a 24 year old. Jason Knapp is starting to figure out A as a 18 year old.

Looking back, it's easy to say that the Expos were stupid to trade those prospects, but at the time, guys like Grady were relatively unknown. I'm not saying that the players the Indians got today will all turn into all-stars, but in couple of years we could see an Indians team build around these players.

Yep, people forget that the Big Fat Bartolo deal was all about Phillips. No one knew/cared who Sizemore and Lee were. They were viewed as throw-in, may contribute type players. Everyone in Cleveland was pissed about that trade, and I think it's fair to assume that Cleveland got the better end of the deal there. Colon had what, one season with LAA where he was 21-8, and a good half season the year the Indians traded him.

I don't know, obviously, how this trade will turn out. But when you get 4 of an organizations top 10 MiLB prospects, for an OF you'll never use, and a pitcher you can't take advantage of because the team is playing terribly, and can't re-sign, I'll take that any day of the week.

Bottom line is Cleveland has a ton of guys that are on track to be opening day 2011 starters, at contracts they can control and afford. While still holding Sizemore and Hafner (whatever he turns out to be by then) under contract.

Carlos Santana (Catcher, converted 3B)
LaPorta (1B/OF)
Nick Weglarz (OF/DH)
Michael Brantley (OF)
Wes Hodges (3B)
Beau Mills (1B)

to go with Asdrubal, Valbuena, Choo, Sizemore...

David Huff, Chuck Lofgren, Hector Rondon, Carrasco... to go with Westbrook, Carmona, and while not counting on Adam Miller to ever be healthy, he has to be mentioned, whether in the pen or rotation. Chris Perez, Rafael Perez in the pen as well.

That's just the list of guys in AA/AAA or with the Indians now, who appear to be on pace to be at least 2011 Indians. I think their minor league system is pretty well lined up right now. Frustrating to blow a 3-1 lead to the Sox and not get a chance to beat the Rox for the WS, and a half season later, start dumping back to back Cy Young winners.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers