cliff lee to the phillies? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

cliff lee to the phillies?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: cliff lee to the phillies?

Postby swyck » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:55 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Nice deal for Cleveland IMO.

Guess they're not planning to compete next year. I like this for the Phils. A quality arm that can help now for 4 mid level prospects.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby heyeaglefn » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:03 pm

Probably a good deal for both teams, but I think the Phillies got the better of the deal.

Cliff Lee is very affordable, and has gotten his fly ball rate down to a point where that should not hurt him. He is signed for next year at about half the price of Roy Halladay. The Phillies now have a very strong playoff rotation. I think I saw that Lee is 12-2 against the NL, so that is very attractive as well.

Carassco is a good arm, probably a number 3 guy with a potential to be a number 2 guy someday in the majors. He was a big hype two years ago, but had a bad season and is still struggling.

Marson is a serviceable catcher, nothing great but maybe the backup for when Victor leaves, if that happens.

Donald was supposed to be the next big 3rd Baseman for the Phillies, but between injuries and just not living up to potential he went from the Phillies top prospect to the middle of the pack. Last year he was considered untouchable, but a bad year will change that.

Knapp is the cornerstone of this deal reportedly. I believe his is 19 and has hit 97 on the speed gun, they say he is like a Roy Halladay junior type pitcher. He has had shoulder issues (Soreness), so I think that is the big part of the Physical Exams. He is probably 3 years away and has potential to be a #1

This is a good move for the Phils, setup your pitching rotation just in case the Dodgers get Roy or if you see the Giants and Lincecum and Cain.

Anyone who thinks Lee is a one year wonder is wrong.
heyeaglefn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:07 pm

This trade somewhat reminds me of the Bartolo Colon deal.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby heyeaglefn » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 pm

Right-hander Carlos Carrasco is just 22 and has shown an above-average fastball, but he lacks a plus or even above-average secondary pitch, his command is poor and his on-field makeup has been a major question for two years; he doesn't respond well to adversity between the lines and, according to multiple sources, was so upset about seeing his name in trade talks last year that he pulled himself from a start during warm-ups and may have deliberately pitched poorly to try to hurt his trade value.
heyeaglefn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MasterX1918 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:This trade somewhat reminds me of the Bartolo Colon deal.

There's no prospect in this deal that comes close to being the sort of player that Grady Sizemore is. Carlos Carrasco could pan out to be decent starter but he really doesn't have "ace" like stuff. I won't be surprised if Donald turns into a great player.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby heyeaglefn » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:This trade somewhat reminds me of the Bartolo Colon deal.

LOL, I hope you are joking, can you tell me how the prospects rate to those players????
heyeaglefn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigken117 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:26 pm

I work with a die-hard Indians fan and he was in a good mood when he heard about the trade.

Then I told him how good those prospects were, especially considering Philly's depth, and sent him links.

He got pissed.

This is a horrible deal for Cleveland.

While Lee may struggle and it could look like a win for the Indians in the long run; more so to Lee's failures than any individual prospect's success, the fact is the Indians could have gotten a better haul for Lee and that's what makes this a loss. They should have gotten either Taylor or Brown. Why Marson when you already have the best catching prospect in the minors?

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 254)

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:33 pm

bigken117 wrote:I work with a die-hard Indians fan and he was in a good mood when he heard about the trade.

Then I told him how good those prospects were, especially considering Philly's depth, and sent him links.

He got pissed.

This is a horrible deal for Cleveland.

While Lee may struggle and it could look like a win for the Indians in the long run; more so to Lee's failures than any individual prospect's success, the fact is the Indians could have gotten a better haul for Lee and that's what makes this a loss. They should have gotten either Taylor or Brown. Why Marson when you already have the best catching prospect in the minors?

When did the Yankees trade them Montero?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:35 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:When did the Yankees trade them Montero?

You have a better chance of being a major league catcher than Montero does ;-D

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 254)

Postby bmd1285 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:42 pm

they should've traded happ instead of carassco, he is just better
bmd1285
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers