cliff lee to the phillies? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

cliff lee to the phillies?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: cliff lee to the phillies?

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:18 pm

Thursday wrote:
Rubidium wrote: Hamels/Lee/Blanton plus two of Happ/Moyer/Pedro is a rotation I'm pretty content with.

This is true, however, I'm wondering what the heck the Phils are going to do with the rotation now that Lee joins. My guess is:

1. Hamels
2. Lee
3. Blanton
4. Happ
5. Moyer

Which is fine, really. But where does Pedro fit if/when he comes back healthy? Are the Phils still looking to ship out Happ at any juncture? Pedro throws right, which might mean he fits into the rotation better.

I don't think that is the best way to order them as it leaves three lefties in a row, but it's difficult to re-order the rotation during the season.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:20 pm

Any chance someone moves to the bullpen to help out Madson/Lidge who both have really struggled lately (or in Lidge's case, all year)?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby great gretzky » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:22 pm

This is weird because it is the "better deal" in many ways, but i'm not sold it was the best deal in the one that counts. You are already giving up your prospects, why not just take the real prize. I realize that the Phils didn't give up their prized prospects, so that is good. But I hate it when teams try to play for this and next year. I will stand corrected and hope that I am. But Halladay would have been special, Lee figures to be not as good.

And the thing is prospects are called that for a reason. You really can't know. But it is a sweet deal. I kind of wish they would just send happ, drabek, bruntlett and some other things in a bid for Roy too. Screw it, pedal to the metal.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Spectrum » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:29 pm

As an Indians fan, I'm sort of happy with this deal. I was all for dealing Lee. He's pitched well the last year and a half to say the least, but for some reason I'm still not convinced he's a legit ace of a competitive staff.

But as for the guys Philly sent in return, I know Carrasco as a RH starter, fastball, curve, change I think. Lot of hype about him two years ago, but I remember him getting lit up by Columbus earlier this season. What's the honest take on this guy, from Phillies fans who know. Any/all of these guys, for that matter.

And Marson, catcher, gets on base, not much power, but supposedly a solid defensive catcher. I don't know what the idea behind this is, unless Victor is on his way out this year as well. Carlos Santana is still probably one year away from the majors, and you have to believe he's going to be behind the plate when he gets there. Looks to me like Marson is the exact opposite of Shoppach. Low K's, good OBP, little power. Defensively?

Donald is another MI w/o power that the Indians need. Bunch of young guys in the middle (Cabrera and Valbuena. Barfield has really fallen off since the Indians traded for him, and Peralta should have started the 2009 season with another team, in my opinion.) I don't understand how Donald is going to help the Indians. Maybe I'm wrong, but Cabrera is an outstanding defensive SS, and back on track at the plate. Valbuena really looks like he's coming around now too. Solid defense, maybe getting going at the plate here now.

Knapp obviously looks like the most intriguing part of this deal. One thing the indians need badly are hard throwing pitchers. Their system is loaded with soft tossing lefties.
Spectrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:32 pm

great gretzky wrote:This is weird because it is the "better deal" in many ways, but i'm not sold it was the best deal in the one that counts. You are already giving up your prospects, why not just take the real prize. I realize that the Phils didn't give up their prized prospects, so that is good. But I hate it when teams try to play for this and next year. I will stand corrected and hope that I am. But Halladay would have been special, Lee figures to be not as good.

And the thing is prospects are called that for a reason. You really can't know. But it is a sweet deal. I kind of wish they would just send happ, drabek, bruntlett and some other things in a bid for Roy too. Screw it, pedal to the metal.

The Phillies could still send Happ, Drabek, and Brown to Toronto in a last offer type of thing as they still have the main pieces.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:34 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Nice deal for Cleveland IMO.

Yep, I think this one comes back to bite the Phillies as the Indians got a steal while the Phillies laid up with Lee when they needed to go for the green with Halladay. I don't think Lee was worth what the Phillies gave up.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 109)

Postby DbacksRback » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:45 pm

slomo007 wrote:Any chance someone moves to the bullpen to help out Madson/Lidge who both have really struggled lately (or in Lidge's case, all year)?

Myers is on track to be back late August/early September ;-D

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Thursday » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:48 pm

Havok1517 wrote:

Yep, I think this one comes back to bite the Phillies as the Indians got a steal while the Phillies laid up with Lee when they needed to go for the green with Halladay. I don't think Lee was worth what the Phillies gave up.

Good take on it, the Phils coulda had the top prize when the Jays sent them an offer. But for the sake of argument, say the Phils repeat as champs this year, would this trade be seen as a bust?
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 22)

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:50 pm

Havok1517 wrote:

Phillies need to make as much of a run right now as they can. They have a very solid core of position players who are in their prime. Yes they gave up some prospects, but now is the time to go for it.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:02 pm

RAmst23 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

Phillies need to make as much of a run right now as they can. They have a very solid core of position players who are in their prime. Yes they gave up some prospects, but now is the time to go for it.

I actually think this was the smart move for the Phillies. This isn't a team that is a few games back on the wild card or division who need that one piece to put them over the top. This is a team that is the defending champs with a 7 game lead in their division. There is really no need to mortgage the future on trying to make a run the next two years when they already have the pieces to make that run right now. They got the upgrade they needed for a short series playoff push, and got him with a much more friendly club option for a run next year. And they got it without really giving up what they feel to be the future of the rotation to go along with Hamels in Happ and Drabek.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers