cliff lee to the phillies? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

cliff lee to the phillies?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: cliff lee to the phillies?

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:12 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Nice deal for Cleveland IMO.

The Phillies didn't have to trade any of their top 3 prospects or Happ (as overrated as he is). It's a great deal for them, despite my crack at Cliff Lee earlier.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:32 pm

I wonder if the Phillies will trade for both Lee and Halladay. It seems still possible at this point
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:36 pm

marson, donald, and carraco's stock have all fallen to the point where i wasnt sure anyone would really be interested in them for a frontline type starter, yet amaro got a team to take 3 of them. knapp was promising but he's not drabek or happ AND we received a right handed hitting bat for our bench. im pretty happy about it. i dont really think we need halladay at this point but it would be pretty crazy if they acquired him as well. :*)

good deal phils.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Maris09 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:37 pm

B-Chad wrote:If the Indians deal Ben Francisco, is it a safe assumption that Matt LaPorta will be recalled?

For sure. Between LF, 1B, and DH he should be seeing regular time the rest of the way out right?
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:07 pm

im looking forward to watching Cliff Lee pitch for the Phillies.. because im expecting his numbers to go up.
the last the time Indians traded a pitcher to the NL (Sabathia) he dominated the rest of the season, this is going to be the opposite.

down the road this one where people in Phily will look back and on say i cant believe we settled for this guy when we could have had Halladay.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:09 pm

Rays can still make their play at Victor.

I am just glad he didnt go to Boston or New York. ;-D
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Thursday » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:29 pm

Nice deal for the Phils. I'm happy we didn't give up Drabek or Happ.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby m16a » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:42 pm

Thursday wrote:Nice deal for the Phils. I'm happy we didn't give up Drabek or Happ.

Agreed. We get a good upgrade now, without having to give away a lot of our stock in the pitching regard for the future. ;-D
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Rubidium » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:11 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:I wonder if the Phillies will trade for both Lee and Halladay. It seems still possible at this point

That was mentioned in the Inquirer this morning, actually. I can't imagine it would happen, nor am I really sure I'd want it to at this point. Hamels/Lee/Blanton plus two of Happ/Moyer/Pedro is a rotation I'm pretty content with.

m16a wrote:
Thursday wrote:Nice deal for the Phils. I'm happy we didn't give up Drabek or Happ.

Agreed. We get a good upgrade now, without having to give away a lot of our stock in the pitching regard for the future. ;-D

Me too. He's not as good as Halladay, but he was cheaper in money and prospects, so I'm really stoked. My worry at this point is that the Phils rotation now has four LHP if Pedro doesn't come back fully healthy, but regardless, he's a huge upgrade over Rodrigo Lopez, and I'm glad Amaro pulled the trigger.

Also, Ben Francisco is, not surprisingly, getting overlooked, but it'll be nice to have a right-handed bench bat with an average over the Mendoza line. :-)
Rubidium
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Thursday » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:17 pm

Rubidium wrote: Hamels/Lee/Blanton plus two of Happ/Moyer/Pedro is a rotation I'm pretty content with.

This is true, however, I'm wondering what the heck the Phils are going to do with the rotation now that Lee joins. My guess is:

1. Hamels
2. Lee
3. Blanton
4. Happ
5. Moyer

Which is fine, really. But where does Pedro fit if/when he comes back healthy? Are the Phils still looking to ship out Happ at any juncture? Pedro throws right, which might mean he fits into the rotation better.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers