What to make of Billy Butler??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What to make of Billy Butler???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What to make of Billy Butler???

Postby Padres Fan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:39 pm

I think he will be a good hitter with 20-25 homer power but not that valuable as a 1B, and the Royals have another in Kila Kaiahue in AAA that is almost similar, but then he could turn into Kevin Youkilis as well
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:18 pm

J35J wrote:I'll be suprised if he ever hits more than 25hr. He's a groundball/line drive hitter and just doesn't hit moon shots. I see him more like what we had Mike Sweeney or a right handed Lyle Overbay..... .300+/ 20-25hr / 100rbi / 40+ doubles ....pretty good player but I'm not sure he'll dominate like he was expected too coming up. Pretty close to what I see in Pablo Sandoval as well.

I always thought of Butler as Todd Helton without steroids. Expect homers in the 20's, hope for low 30's, and dream of high 30's, all with a 320 or so average.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby MaudDib » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:44 pm

Here is an interesting article on Bulter. Nice list of people he could be associated with.

http://www.810whb.com/blog/1162
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:55 am

Two straight games with a HR... becoming more and more of an interesting option :-?
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby quitesanemax » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:57 am

Well, they are at home right now. Expect good stats from him when he is playing at home. The problem is when KC goes on the road... If you have room to stash him on the bench when he is on the road, then he is a great option...

Max
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:53 pm

quitesanemax wrote:Well, they are at home right now. Expect good stats from him when he is playing at home. The problem is when KC goes on the road... If you have room to stash him on the bench when he is on the road, then he is a great option...

Max

home/road splits always elude my thought process when an overwhelming home park advantage isnt present. in other words, unless the home ballpark has tiny dimensions (citizens bank park, arlington, etc.) or is a known launching pad (colorado of seasons past, the new yankee stadium, etc.), i ussually consider those splits more "lucky" than anything and i dont ussually adjust my lineup because of this. i guess that thought process could get me some ugly #s when i start my home warrior on the road for a whole week and he stinks the place up but i just cant bring myself to any legitimate rationale not to start a hot bat whos leaving his home park for a road trip.... but the #s are so hard to deny :-? :-? :-?
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:50 pm

Yeah, I'd say the home/road splits for Butler are still uncertain....he's actually been a better road player the last two years. Kaufmann is actually a good pitchers park so it doesn't add up. I'd personally ignore the splits in this case.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:11 pm

J35J wrote:Yeah, I'd say the home/road splits for Butler are still uncertain....he's actually been a better road player the last two years. Kaufmann is actually a good pitchers park so it doesn't add up. I'd personally ignore the splits in this case.

I agree. Splits like month-to-month ballpark splits, L/R are usually pretty useless for at least 3-4 years, as they are usually due to small sample size (unless were talking about Yankee Stadium, Arlington, etc., as was mentioned before)
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby quitesanemax » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:40 pm

NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:
home/road splits always elude my thought process when an overwhelming home park advantage isnt present. in other words, unless the home ballpark has tiny dimensions (citizens bank park, arlington, etc.) or is a known launching pad (colorado of seasons past, the new yankee stadium, etc.), i ussually consider those splits more "lucky" than anything and i dont ussually adjust my lineup because of this. i guess that thought process could get me some ugly #s when i start my home warrior on the road for a whole week and he stinks the place up but i just cant bring myself to any legitimate rationale not to start a hot bat whos leaving his home park for a road trip.... but the #s are so hard to deny :-? :-? :-?

Funny thing is that when he went on the road after their last homestand I dropped him... and the first thing he did was go something like 5 for 5 in a game on the road... put his road average up to .274 from .240. And I was hoping like heck no one would notice, and I'd get to pick him up off waivers when he became available. Luckily, the next two days he went 0 for, as he was supposed to on the road. His average on the road was back down to .255, and I guess no one was interested, and I picked him right back up.

I do use the split stats... although most often with the righty/lefty matchups... and only when the differences are significant. I do that with Kubel, Kennedy, and Matsui right now. They may seem to have horrible stats (Not so much Kubel), but if you only play them against righties, they do great for your team... But you have to have the room in your roster, of course. And sometimes when they are all playing against lefties, your stuck.

Butler I've been dropping when he goes on the road, because I don't have room to hold him in my roster... but he is getting too good for that now.

Max
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers