What to make of Billy Butler??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What to make of Billy Butler???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What to make of Billy Butler???

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:47 am

Hes a former 1st round pick and hes proved to be a solid average hitter but he hasnt developed HR power, though he is hitting a lot of doubles this season. hes currently batting 3rd in KCs lineup and could provide solid Avg and RBI numbers but is he really worth rostering in most leagues? I do think his doubles will start getting over the fence as hes only 23 years old but he could be a year or so away from hitting that power stroke... opinions?
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What to make of Billy Butler???

Postby zepfan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:57 am

In a keeper I think he should be owned in just about any league. In a redraft I still think he can be useful for average without hurting you much in runs or RBIs. I don't think the power will be coming this year, though.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:42 am

In a redraft league, I think you have to keep in mind that this guy has horrible numbers on the road. If he can turn those numbers around, then he becomes someone who you can put in your lineup every day. He was 4 for 17 in his last road series against the Red Sox just before the AS break. In his first road game since, last night, he went 5 for 5. That is definitely worth keeping an eye up. If he continues that type of hitting on the road, I'd pick him up real fast. If he can turn that road disaster around, he is definitely worth a look, IMO. HRs is just one category.

Max
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jjs » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:23 pm

He'll be a top hitter in about 3 yrs. All of these doubles will be hrs. If they even had an average offense around him this year he would have been a .300/18/90/90 guy.
jjs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby willy-t » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:37 pm

I own Butler in a dynasty and Im pretty pleased with how he's coming along. He's been a few years in the majors now but still only 23 years old. Maintaining good average and plenty of XBH
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:14 pm

I was just reading this thread and Butler hit a HR. Coincidence??
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby J35J » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:13 pm

I'll be suprised if he ever hits more than 25hr. He's a groundball/line drive hitter and just doesn't hit moon shots. I see him more like what we had Mike Sweeney or a right handed Lyle Overbay..... .300+/ 20-25hr / 100rbi / 40+ doubles ....pretty good player but I'm not sure he'll dominate like he was expected too coming up. Pretty close to what I see in Pablo Sandoval as well.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby willy-t » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:58 pm

J35J wrote:I'll be suprised if he ever hits more than 25hr. He's a groundball/line drive hitter and just doesn't hit moon shots. I see him more like what we had Mike Sweeney or a right handed Lyle Overbay..... .300+/ 20-25hr / 100rbi / 40+ doubles ....pretty good player but I'm not sure he'll dominate like he was expected too coming up. Pretty close to what I see in Pablo Sandoval as well.

I think he's a much better pure hitter than Overbay or Sandoval. Can see him hitting 330 year in year out. He's highly advanced particularly for his age. He'll also hit middle of the order and probably score and drive in 100 runs year after year. Overbay has never done that. He might be a 20-25 HR guy (though he's too young to say he's reached his HR potential) but he can still be a very nice player.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:17 pm

maybe Butler is the new Adam LaRoche/Aubrey Huff that isnt as good early in the season but comes on in the 2nd half.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 102)

Postby J35J » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:41 pm

willy-t wrote:
J35J wrote:I'll be suprised if he ever hits more than 25hr. He's a groundball/line drive hitter and just doesn't hit moon shots. I see him more like what we had Mike Sweeney or a right handed Lyle Overbay..... .300+/ 20-25hr / 100rbi / 40+ doubles ....pretty good player but I'm not sure he'll dominate like he was expected too coming up. Pretty close to what I see in Pablo Sandoval as well.

I think he's a much better pure hitter than Overbay or Sandoval. Can see him hitting 330 year in year out. He's highly advanced particularly for his age. He'll also hit middle of the order and probably score and drive in 100 runs year after year. Overbay has never done that. He might be a 20-25 HR guy (though he's too young to say he's reached his HR potential) but he can still be a very nice player.

I wouldn't say much better and I'm not sure he'll hit .330 consistantly....once or twice maybe but not consistantly. And my Overbay comparison wasn't a specific comparison to him so much as a comparison of skill sets.....good solid hitter who could pop 20+ but was mostly a line drive doubles machine. It'll be hard for him to score more than 100 runs because his speed is quite poor and we'll need to get a couple other top notch hitters behind him to even sniff that number even if he was fast. He's good but I think some still overrate him based on what he was suppose to be coming up.....oh sure he'll improve as he's still young but there isn't really anything there that tells me he's going to take huge steps going forward...anything can happen though.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers