Kazmir on the Market - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kazmir on the Market

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kazmir on the Market

Postby jlm53089 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:24 pm

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/07/23/rays ... lear-room/
FanHouse wrote:According to a source familiar with the Rays front office, team VP of baseball operations Andrew Friedman is "eager to do something," with Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee and Victor Martinez "players of interest" to Tampa Bay

Gets me kinda excited.
I love Kazmir, but a deal like this makes a ton of sense.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kazmir on the Market

Postby B-Chad » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:37 pm

Seems like a logical spot for Doc since they have the prospects the Jays would likely be interested in, and of the teams in the division they could trade him to, probably the team they'd prefer since it's unlikely the Rays would ink him long term (thus the Jays won't have to see him beyond next year in the AL East perhaps... not saying the Sox or Yanks couldn't sign him then, but the odds would be greater that he'd stay in the AL East if the Sox or Yankees dealt for him I'd think as they wouldn't want to give up prospects and then let him walk). If Kazmir fronted a package, they could probably toss in Reid Brignac (who is sandwiched between Bartlett/Beckham for now and future) and two more B level prospects. As long as the Rays don't part with Beckham/Jennings/Helickson/Davis I'd have to believe Rays fans would be on boards (and that applies to dealing for Doc, Victor or Lee).
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jlm53089 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:42 pm

Well Davis is the rumored name to go to Cleveland for Cliff Lee.
And Kazmir to the Angels would be nice but I am not sure what we would get player wise.

What about the idea of a 3 team trade, with Kazmir to the Angels, and than prospects to Toronto from the Angels and prospects from us to Toronto, and than we would receive Halladay?
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:35 pm

jlm53089 wrote:http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/07/23/rays-want-to-deal-could-move-kazmir-to-angels-to-clear-room/
FanHouse wrote:According to a source familiar with the Rays front office, team VP of baseball operations Andrew Friedman is "eager to do something," with Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee and Victor Martinez "players of interest" to Tampa Bay

Gets me kinda excited.
I love Kazmir, but a deal like this makes a ton of sense.

I imagine Friedman is talking about most of his players, just like most GMs are doing at this time as well. It would be strange to deal Kazmir now though with his value as low as it has been the last few years. I guess we will find out for sure in another few days or so.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:35 pm

it seems super stupid to me to be shopping kazmir right now. talk about selling low. the guy is a potential ace (even though he needs work on his pitch counts, etc..) but selling him now while hes at rock bottom doesnt make any sense to me.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:01 am

Snakes Gould wrote:it seems super stupid to me to be shopping kazmir right now. talk about selling low. the guy is a potential ace (even though he needs work on his pitch counts, etc..) but selling him now while hes at rock bottom doesnt make any sense to me.

this, the guy has been terribad this year, his value has to be at one of the lowest points it's ever been.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:23 am

Maybe they've changed their mind about his contract.....

Scott Kazmir lhp
3 years/$28.5M (2009-11), plus 2012 club option

* 3 years/$28.5M (2009-11), plus 2012 club option
o signed extension with Tampa Bay 5/14/08
o 09:$6M, 10:$8M, 11:$12M, 12:$13.5M club option ($2.5M buyout)
o $0.8M bonus if traded (for first trade only)
o perks: use of luxury suite for 5 home games per season
o Kazmir to donate to club charity $75,000 each in 2009 and 2010, and $100,000 each in 2011 and 2012 (if option is exercised)

...especially if they are currently going after V-Mart and Cliff Lee and have budget constraints.
If you can trade Kazmir for something useful and then replace him with Lee for a similar price I'd seriously think about it.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:48 am

As long as they get more than Victor Zambrano for him, they've come out ahead on this guy.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:11 am

AussieDodger wrote:Maybe they've changed their mind about his contract.....

Scott Kazmir lhp
3 years/$28.5M (2009-11), plus 2012 club option

* 3 years/$28.5M (2009-11), plus 2012 club option
o signed extension with Tampa Bay 5/14/08
o 09:$6M, 10:$8M, 11:$12M, 12:$13.5M club option ($2.5M buyout)
o $0.8M bonus if traded (for first trade only)
o perks: use of luxury suite for 5 home games per season
o Kazmir to donate to club charity $75,000 each in 2009 and 2010, and $100,000 each in 2011 and 2012 (if option is exercised)

...especially if they are currently going after V-Mart and Cliff Lee and have budget constraints.
If you can trade Kazmir for something useful and then replace him with Lee for a similar price I'd seriously think about it.

Rosenthal agrees with AussieDodger....

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9843900/Key-to-Rays/%27-trade-hopes-hinge-on-payroll

It is not inconceivable that the Rays could trade one of their more expensive players to clear payroll; Kazmir, signed through 2011 at salaries of $6 million, $8 million and $11 million with a $13.5 million option for '12, would be the most obvious possibility.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:40 am

right i understand that but dont you think if he has some success or even if he doesnt, his trade value will be higher this winter? his contract isnt that high for this year, or even next really...im sure they can afford to take on a contract like cliff lee's for the remainder of the season and trade kazmir when his value is a tad higher.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers