Bannister and Pitch F/X - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bannister and Pitch F/X

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bannister and Pitch F/X

Postby Tavish » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:19 pm

In one of the most interesting interviews I have heard in a long time, Royals pitcher Brian Bannister talked about how he has changed his study habits thanks to the new technology. Bannister has always been one of the most SABR interested players, openly talking about how he studies the newer stats to work on improving his game.

During the interview he talks about how he no longer reads scouting reports on the opposing team or watches scouting videos. He instead relies on the Pitch F/X data to figure out which of his pitches are the most effective to batters. He completely scrapped using his 4 seamer after finding out it was rising and relies much more on his cut fastball due to the sinking motion and his change-up that Pitch F/X showed to have as much sink as Webb's sinker. The results so far have been excellent. His HR rate is way down, his groundball rate is way up.

It is really refreshing as a Royal's fan to know that all hope is not lost. While our GM and scouting department seem almost out to prove a point that the SABR stats don't mean much, there are some in the organization who still have a clue. I'm all for crowning Bannister as the first modern era Player/GM/Manager.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bannister and Pitch F/X

Postby MaudDib » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:24 pm

Here, Here! ;-D
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:29 am

that is pretty awesome. now only if he had above average "stuff".

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby J35J » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:30 am

I heard that interview as well and loved it. Bannister knows more about GB%, FB%, FIP, xFIP, BABIP, etc, etc, etc, as 98% of anyone in here....it was awesome to hear a major leaguer talk SABR like he did....very cool!
Last edited by J35J on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby smoovethug » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:33 am

Sounds like a heady guy and a dominant fantasy baseball manager. His changeup having as much sink as Webb's sinker surprised me.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 87)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:49 am

He gave a similar interview maybe two years ago (I'm sure you remember, Tavish), and I was impressed then. I'm even more so now.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:37 am

bigh0rt wrote:He gave a similar interview maybe two years ago (I'm sure you remember, Tavish), and I was impressed then. I'm even more so now.

yeah i remember it was on the front page of yahoo. he was pitching very well at the time of the interview, then faltered soon thereafter.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby nolanwood » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:12 am

bigh0rt wrote:He gave a similar interview maybe two years ago (I'm sure you remember, Tavish), and I was impressed then. I'm even more so now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=j ... &type=lgns
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:07 am

nolanwood wrote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=j ... &type=lgns

Yup, I remember that interview....this one was above and beyond the one from a couple years ago though.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Return to Baseball Leftovers