Ensberg - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ensberg

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ensberg

Postby pujolsisthebestin04 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:39 pm

What sorta pitchers can u get for him???
pujolsisthebestin04
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pujolsisthebestin04 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:53 pm

anybody???
pujolsisthebestin04
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pujolsisthebestin04 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:41 pm

somebodies gotta know
pujolsisthebestin04
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:52 pm

i dont really know. i guess if you look at the overall rankings guys like pettitte, miller, zambrano, maddux and kim are kinda close. in practical terms i have him on the bench of a couple of my teams and havent been able to move him for anything. 3b is kinda deep and he ranks near the bottom of many peoples top 10. since i am in 12 team leagues people dont really feel like paying too much to upgrade from say dmitri young to ensberg. at least not at this point anyway. maybe if he starts off the season well.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby hlywdbernie » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:49 pm

Don't trade Ensberg...are you not a fan of 30+ bombs and a huge upside? Who is your other 3B?
hlywdbernie

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby LBJackal » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:13 pm

Upside? He's older than Lance Berkman. He should be in the last half of his career by now, not his sophomore year. He's a career minor leaguer. He was pampered last year and only faced lefties and favourable righties while Blum did the dirty work. You guys can have him. He might hit 30 HR's, but he'll have a sub 300 BA, not a lot fo RBI, and not a lot of steals. I'll let the people who project his numbers over a full season have him for the price he's going for.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:14 pm

Well, calling him a career minor league player isn't exaclty right. He spent less that 4 years there. His age is a reflection that he played college baseball. And I don't think it is correct to say he was pampered against difficult righties. The platoon sitaution had nothing to do with his ability to hit righties. He had close to 300abs vs righties and hit .281 with 18hrs (out of 25) against them. If anything, he played more vs lefties than Blum did b/c blum hit them about as well as you or I could (.135). Truth is, there was absolutely nor reason for a platoon situation, but for Jimmy Williams being a moron. Same reason that Jason Lane hasn't gotten a shot yet.

True, he may not hit .300, but a .285/30+hr 3B puts him on the same level as rolen and chavez (if he reaches those numbers). No he won't drive in 100 runs, but if he hits 30 hrs he'll drive around 85 and hitting second he should score 100. Throw in 10 sbs and it's a pretty solid package. There is obviously soe risk, but he could pay off nicely.

Postby LionsandTigersOhMy » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:50 pm

Where did you hear he was batting 2nd?Cause thats far from what I heard!

And a guy entering his second season at 27 years old makes me think there was a reason for that!After all pro scouts and managers know ALOT more than we do about talent.

Mark this down and take it out at the end of the season.......Morgan Ensberg is the 2004 version of Kevin Maas.Remember him?
LionsandTigersOhMy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:02 pm

I don't care what the reason for him not facing righties was, the point is: he did. He faced 2.9 righties per lefty, when Kent, on the same team, faced 4.2 righties per lefty.

Call him a career minor leaguer or a career college and minor leaguer, it's the same thing. He's really old and just got his first crack at the majors.

All I was saying was that he doesn't have upside - what you saw last year is as good as it'll get, and I doubt he'll even be that good. There are many more 3B's I'd rather have. He's over-rated.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:19 pm

The reason does matter, since it seems like you were suggestign that his stats were padded last year and that having to face "tougher righties" this year would lead to a decline in numbers.

I wouldn't call 27 old, but you do have a point. 2 yrs ago, when he first came up, he was touted inthe same vein as H Blalock. They both failed miserably in their first year and both played well last year.

Like I said, he is risky (though, not for the reasons you mentioned, IMO) but could pay off nicely. I owuldn't say there are a lot of 3B better than him.

as for hitting 2nd...that's where all "projected lineups" have him and where he hit a lot last year.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers