Buehrle a HOF player? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Buehrle a HOF player?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Buehrle a HOF player?

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:34 pm

Wright2Reyes wrote:He is not a HoF'er right now, but I think he will get in the White Sox HoF without a doubt.

Having said that, if he were to pitch another no hitter, would that make his case better? I'm just curious as to how much power pitching multiple no hitters has whne it comes to the HoF.

As far as I'm concerned he could break Ryan's record and throw 8, and it shouldn't influence his HoF case.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:35 pm

Wright2Reyes wrote:He is not a HoF'er right now, but I think he will get in the White Sox HoF without a doubt.

Having said that, if he were to pitch another no hitter, would that make his case better? I'm just curious as to how much power pitching multiple no hitters has whne it comes to the HoF.

If you pitch enough no-hitters you get considered as one of the greatest ever even if you aren't all that great.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:10 pm

Tavish wrote:

If you pitch enough no-hitters you get considered as one of the greatest ever even if you aren't all that great.

QFT
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby zepfan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:05 pm

When I was watching sportscenter yesterday they headed the story with "Buehrle possibly on his way the HOF..." I did a double take for sure. Way too soon and unless he has a Roger Clemens-like career path where he gets better as he gets older I would say no way.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Humdinger » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:32 pm

http://espn.go.com/chicago/story?id=4354199

Apparently Nolan Ryan thinks Buehrle getting there is in the realm of possibility....

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=264937&highlight=
Humdinger
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby CadensDad » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:35 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:if glavine gets in, buehrle should get a look if he gets as much wins, no?

This.

Buehrle: 1.0 HR/9, 2.1 BB/9, 5.3 K/9, 1.26 WHIP
Glavine: 0.7 HR/9, 3.1 BB/9, 5.3 K/9, 1.31 WHIP

Buehrle: Just hit 30, allegedly a magical age where SPs "get it"
Glavine = vastly over-rated because of longevity and so many play off appearances.

CadensDad = hilarious when someone slights the honor of a long-term Braves player :-D :-D :-D :-D

AussieDodger=Smoking serious stuff to consider Buehrle = Glavine. And it has nothing to do with him being a Brave, It has to do with him being one of the top 5 best pitchers of the 90's during the "steroid" era he was still getting guys out.

Buehrle is a solid pitcher a GREAT #3 pitcher and a solid #2, I don't really think he is a ACE of a staff but he is very close.

But the question/comment was IF Buehrle gets as many wins as Glavine he should get in just like Glavine will. My point was that there is a VERY VERY slim chance Buehrle will get 300 wins. He's only at 133 and is 30 years old. Let's assume he wins 7 more games this year and is at the 140 mark he still has 160 more to go to get to 300. That's another 10 years averaging 16 wins a year. He is only averaging about 14 wins a year right now. And with the way they skip pitchers in the rotation so much nowadays and pull them from games more quickly, I just don't see him making it to 300.

Another key thing is Glavine pitched on one of the top 3 teams of the 90's. Buehrle supporting cast isn't anywhere as good and doubtfully will be a top team for the next decade. (The sox are solid don't get me wrong they just aren't in the top of the league.) Let's not forget the stadium Buehrle pitches in.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MotorCityKitties » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:56 pm

Humdinger wrote:http://espn.go.com/chicago/story?id=4354199

Apparently Nolan Ryan thinks Buehrle getting there is in the realm of possibility....

That has about as much relevance as you saying best postseason team ever. He was calling in to a chicago radio station, what's he supposed to say?
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:36 am

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this or not, but i dont think buehrle is a HOF'er.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:07 am

CadensDad wrote:AussieDodger=Smoking serious stuff to consider Buehrle = Glavine.

Look at Glavines numbers objectively, ignore the name, ERAs and wins.
He is basically getting into the hall because he was the healthiest man in baseball, and had a good team around him for a long time, not because he was particularly incredible.

CadensDad wrote:Buehrle is a solid pitcher a GREAT #3 pitcher and a solid #2, I don't really think he is a ACE of a staff but he is very close.

Could say exactly that about Glavine.

I'm not saying Buehrle is a HOFer, I'm saying if he stays healthy and motivated he can be the equal of Glavine.

Glavine does deserve to get in for staying healthy because that is a skill too. I just don't see him as a no-doubter first ballot like everyone else does.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby CadensDad » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:07 am

AussieDodger wrote:
CadensDad wrote:AussieDodger=Smoking serious stuff to consider Buehrle = Glavine.

Look at Glavines numbers objectively, ignore the name, ERAs and wins.
He is basically getting into the hall because he was the healthiest man in baseball, and had a good team around him for a long time, not because he was particularly incredible.

CadensDad wrote:Buehrle is a solid pitcher a GREAT #3 pitcher and a solid #2, I don't really think he is a ACE of a staff but he is very close.

Could say exactly that about Glavine.

I'm not saying Buehrle is a HOFer, I'm saying if he stays healthy and motivated he can be the equal of Glavine.

Glavine does deserve to get in for staying healthy because that is a skill too. I just don't see him as a no-doubter first ballot like everyone else does.

I do ignore the name, and agree to a extent that he he nothing more than a Great third, solid 2nd and below average 1st pitcher. But the chances of Buehrle putting up numbers close to Glavines is a long shot, Let's not forget Glavine has 2 Cy Young awards, He also finished 2nd twice, (Once behind teammate Maddux and once behind Johnson) He also finished 3rd twice as well.

Neways I'll be back on later to argue some more

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers