Buehrle a HOF player? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Buehrle a HOF player?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Buehrle a HOF player?

Postby CadensDad » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:30 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:if glavine gets in, buehrle should get a look if he gets as much wins, no?

Ummm IF Glavine gets in? I'm sure he is a first ballot lock, and IF Buehrle gets as many wins as Glavine he would be a lock as well, but I SERIOUSLY doubt Buehrle makes it above 300 wins.

Humdinger wrote:He was a member of the best postseason team ever. A world series winner. Pitched a no-hitter, and pitched a perfect game. Plus the guy is still in his early thirties? If he manages 15 wins for another 8 years, does he make it to the HOF?

What postseason team is the best ever?

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:40 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:if glavine gets in, buehrle should get a look if he gets as much wins, no?

This.

Buehrle: 1.0 HR/9, 2.1 BB/9, 5.3 K/9, 1.26 WHIP
Glavine: 0.7 HR/9, 3.1 BB/9, 5.3 K/9, 1.31 WHIP

Buehrle: Just hit 30, allegedly a magical age where SPs "get it"
Glavine = vastly over-rated because of longevity and so many play off appearances.

CadensDad = hilarious when someone slights the honor of a long-term Braves player :-D :-D :-D :-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Saltydog » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:13 pm

Humdinger wrote:He was a member of the best postseason team ever. A world series winner. Pitched a no-hitter, and pitched a perfect game. Plus the guy is still in his early thirties? If he manages 15 wins for another 8 years, does he make it to the HOF?

Not only is this statement completely asinine, it is also irrelevant when determining Hall of Fame credentials.

Frank Thomas is more deserving of consideration if you're going to campaign for White Sox players.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 142)

Postby Padsin05 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:22 pm

Im gonna say no on Buehrle.

However I am in the minority in saying that I dont think Glavine is a HOF'r either
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:33 pm

AussieDodger wrote:

This.

Glavine = vastly over-rated because of longevity and so many play off appearances.

CadensDad = hilarious when someone slights the honor of a long-term Braves player :-D :-D :-D :-D

This post made me laugh out loud.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:41 pm

AussieDodger wrote:

This.

This is not a fair comparison. If Buehrle pitches as long as Glavine did, he'll see his WHIP rise > 1.30 and his other stats will likely be worse than Glavine's.

Why don't you compare Glavine's stats pre-2000 to Buehrle's. That would be a fairer comparison and I'm sure Glavine would come out on top.

Buehrle will need to reach 300 wins to reach HOF. A couple of 20 win seasons (like Glavine did) wouldn't hurt either...
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:52 pm

Buehrle career stats:

132-90, 3.78 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, 1153 K, 5.3 K/9, 23 CG

Glavine through age 30:

153-99, 3.40 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, 1364 K, 5.6 K/9, 39 CG
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby Ender » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:04 pm

That best postseason team thing confused me so much I had to look him up and see if he played for another team when he was young or something. That White Sox team is one of the worst teams to ever win a world series.

The Glavine comparison is actually pretty apt, especially if you adjust for Buehrle pitching in a hitters park in the AL. However I don't see Buehrle's peak ever comparing to Glavine's so he really does need a good 20 year run to have a shot.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Humdinger » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:08 pm

The 2005 White Sox had the best winning percentage of any team in post-season history--> name me a better team in the history of baseball who had a more dominant playoff?

I'm just saying, given his accomplishments thus far, and another 100-130 wins or so over the next 8-10 years he has to be considered a HOF type player. He obviously isn't there yet, but getting there is easily in the realm of possibility.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=264937&highlight=
Humdinger
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:26 pm

Humdinger wrote:The 2005 White Sox had the best winning percentage of any team in post-season history--> name me a better team in the history of baseball who had a more dominant playoff?

I'm just saying, given his accomplishments thus far, and another 100-130 wins or so over the next 8-10 years he has to be considered a HOF type player. He obviously isn't there yet, but getting there is easily in the realm of possibility.

I'd like to also congratulate the 2001 Seattle Mariners for being the greatest team of all-time. Well done guys.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers