Birds inside buildings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Birds inside buildings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Birds inside buildings

Postby Polar Bear » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:13 pm

Does this weird anyone else out? I have been mowing my yard and had a mockingbird, robin, or swallow come at me during nesting season, but they never actually hit me and I know they won't so it doesn't bother me. But a bird that gets trapped indoors really freaks me out. This happened at my gym the other day. I was mid-rep in my flat bench press and a robin comes streaking in my line of vision and was about 2 or 3 feet over my head. After almost soiling myself I racked the weight. The gym is old so it is easy for birds to get in, but this was the first time I can remember it happening while I have been there. There were 4 muscle-heads chasing that bastard around with a racquetball racket trying to whack it, quite the scene. Eventually we had to shut off all the lights and open the doors. The bird flew right out once we did that.

Hopefully that never happens again. Birds in buildings scare me a bit. It has something to do with the wings flapping chaotically and they are out of their element so who knows what they will do.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Birds inside buildings

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:24 pm

hahaha...there is something oddly chaotic about it, but as long as it's a robin and not some big bird of prey, I don't think there's anything to be afraid of.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:31 pm

So you're saying your gym has enough holes in it that birds readily fly in and out and you are worried about the birds? I'd be worried about the building coming down on my head.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Polar Bear » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:46 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:So you're saying your gym has enough holes in it that birds readily fly in and out and you are worried about the birds? I'd be worried about the building coming down on my head.

I don't exactly live in a booming metropolis. The building sucks and the owner sucks. He refuses to use the air conditioner in the summer and he won't use the heater in the winter. I have worked out in the morning and have literally saw my own breath. They have had the same equipment for the past 10 years. I have to tip-toe around dumbbells just to get to the dumbbell rack. The machines still use chains. The sound system is a boom box. The owner weights 500 lbs which means he will probably never put much into the improvements since he himself could careless about his own body. The place was hit by a tornado about 15 years ago and the insurance improved the roof, but since then there has been nothing done to my knowledge. A solid gust of wind may take down the entire building...

But it is the only place in town though and I love lifting and everyone there is used to how I want to be spotted so I never have to rely on a partner to lift heavy. I have worked out in worse places though.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:50 pm

Sounds like you might have a phobia, probably caused by some associated event in your childhood. It's no big deal to most, but it affects you almost viscerally. Would you say your reaction is more than would be normally appropriate?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:56 pm

i for one welcome our new avian overlords
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:00 pm

knapplc wrote:Sounds like you might have a phobia, probably caused by some associated event in your childhood. It's no big deal to most, but it affects you almost viscerally. Would you say your reaction is more than would be normally appropriate?

Also, do you find yoruself often dreaming about smoking cigars?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:07 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
knapplc wrote:Sounds like you might have a phobia, probably caused by some associated event in your childhood. It's no big deal to most, but it affects you almost viscerally. Would you say your reaction is more than would be normally appropriate?

Also, do you find yoruself often dreaming about smoking cigars...

...in bed with you mother?
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tavish » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:08 pm

We can't workout here, this is bat country.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:11 pm

So um..this bird swopped at me one time and landed on my shirt and wouldn't let go for like 20 minuts it was horrifying
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk