Julio Lugo traded for Chris Duncan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Julio Lugo traded for Chris Duncan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Julio Lugo traded for Chris Duncan

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:56 pm

I would pay a lot to see a Yankees-Red Sox brawl featuring the Duncan bros.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:28 am

If the cards get a starter, Greene plays ok at 3B, and Lugo plays like he is capable of playing then I like their chances to win the Nl Central by a good margin.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:12 am

Havok1517 wrote:If the cards get a starter, Greene plays ok at 3B, and Lugo plays like he is capable of playing then I like their chances to win the Nl Central by a good margin.

Lot of if's there, but Cards still look good in the NL Central. Hopefully Greene can get his head together and start playing good ball. As for Lugo, I would have taken a bag of balls in a trade for this guy. He can barely get the ball out of the infield anymore and defensively, he's a nightmare.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby nolanwood » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:37 am

Havok1517 wrote:If the cards get a starter, Greene plays ok at 3B, and Lugo plays like he is capable of playing then I like their chances to win the Nl Central by a good margin.

The NL Central is a crapshoot. The Cardinals adding Lugo won't mean anything if the Cubs or Brewer bats wake up.
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:16 pm

Greene and Lugo taking up two of your infield spots does not make you a championship team IMO. They are both well below average players.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:34 pm

I've pretty much written off Greene. It would be nice to get Glaus back but I'm not holding my breath. The biggest thing for the Cards as always is staying healthy. That's a big if but if they can keep the current guys on the field I think they have a pretty goods shot at the NL Central.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby quitesanemax » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:37 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I would pay a lot to see a Yankees-Red Sox brawl featuring the Duncan bros.

I forgot that the his brother is a Yankee. Is he part of the roster right now? That makes the trade a little more interesting.

So are the Red Sox paying the full contract? Does that mean that St Louis gets Lugo for free for this year and next year (I believe)?

If the Red Sox have control of Duncan until 2012, that makes it a pretty good move, especially considering they were willing to just give Lugo away.

Duncan reminds me a little of Mo Pena a few years ago. A lot of potential... but will he tap it. He needs to learn to be more choosy about what he swings at. The reason why they are sending him to the minors is because they don't have room for him in the roster right now. He plays 1st base, and they have 2 1st basemen already. I'd hate to see him playing in the OF at Fenway!

Max
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Noggy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:55 pm

quitesanemax wrote:I forgot that the his brother is a Yankee. Is he part of the roster right now? That makes the trade a little more interesting.

Shelley hasn't been in the majors since early last season.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:09 pm

This is pretty much both teams wanting to push their used/unwanted/old parts out the door.

The excitement in St Louis over Chris Duncan stemmed from 280 ABs in 2006 when he came up and slammed 22 HRs. He did this with a HR/FB rate of nearly 30%. He then came down and in 2007 was a player that many in St Louis (myself included) felt like he could be on a consistent basis; .354/.480/.834. And then he became useless (.711 OPS and .687 OPS last two years, though with just spectacular defense %-6 ).

Best case scenario for Boston, Duncan turns into some version of his 2007 self and can sport an .800 OPS at DH.

There's also a PTBNL in the deal, so will be interesting to see who else gets thrown in.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Birds on the Bat » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:30 am

I like the pickup for the Cardinals. Lugo won't start over Brendan Ryan, whose stellar defense has earned him an everyday spot in the lineup, but he'll at least provide some needed depth. We can also move DeRosa and Schumaker around if needed, and you can never have enough versatility with Tony La Russa.

Also, there are some rumblings that Lugo might not be the greatest teammate in the world. Does anyone have any insight into this? I heard it on the Cards' telecast a couple nights ago.
Birds on the Bat
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers