Is ARod officially back to his old value now? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is ARod officially back to his old value now?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is ARod officially back to his old value now?

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:42 pm

ARod has been crushing the ball in July, currently sitting as the second best player in the past month per Yahoo. I've seen a bunch of speculative 2010 lists that had him all over the place earlier this month, ranging anywhere from 3 to 20. Now that the numbers are picking up, is he officially back as an undisputed top 3 pick or do lingering concerns about his surgery knock him down a few spots in your rankings?
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is ARod officially back to his old value now?

Postby Amatter32 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:52 pm

No, he still doesn't even crack the top 100. (I'm saying that cause I'm trying to get him in a dynasty league and hopefully that owner reads this thread but can't read within parantheses)

I would say almost. He can't really go back to his old value because that would mean you would have to disregard the first half of this season. I have him close to top 3, but someone could make an argument that there are players who should be above him still. (Lincecum, Crawford, Fielder, Haren).
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:02 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:ARod has been crushing the ball in July, currently sitting as the second best player in the past month per Yahoo. I've seen a bunch of speculative 2010 lists that had him all over the place earlier this month, ranging anywhere from 3 to 20. Now that the numbers are picking up, is he officially back as an undisputed top 3 pick or do lingering concerns about his surgery knock him down a few spots in your rankings?

2nd in the majors in homers and averaging almost an RBI a game since he came back. He's not running as much but the rest of the package is still there. He's a mid-first rounder IMO.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:32 pm

If I was drafting for a 2009 league season starting today I'd take him mid first round. Where he goes in 2010 is dependent on him finishing out this season healthy. If he finishes this season at a typical A-Rod rate, but they still do the 2nd surgery I'd take him in the back half of the first round figuring he would have a time table close to Utley's this season where he could possibly miss the first month depending on how rehab goes. If he finishes the season well and they see no reason to do the 2nd surgery, I'd take him in the top 3.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:35 pm

Lack of speed bumps down his value.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:48 pm

Yoda wrote:Lack of speed bumps down his value.

I think it's a little early in his comeback to say he's not going to run anymore. He picked up a steal yesterday and has 4. He's averaged 21 steals per season since coming to the Yankees and I think if he's healthy he'll get 15 at least next year. With A-Rod it's about reading pitchers and picking his spots to pick up his SB's.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fiz » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:03 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
Yoda wrote:Lack of speed bumps down his value.

I think it's a little early in his comeback to say he's not going to run anymore. He picked up a steal yesterday and has 4. He's averaged 21 steals per season since coming to the Yankees and I think if he's healthy he'll get 15 at least next year. With A-Rod it's about reading pitchers and picking his spots to pick up his SB's.

Another SB today. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 15 this year. That's a little less than one a week here on out.
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:16 pm

If A Rod finishes the season the way he has performed the last several weeks, then yes, I am taking him in the top 5, possibly the top 3. The next two months will be critical, however, as he could slow down due to fatigue since he is starting to get up there in age. But if he proves he is still durable, then one can't deny the guy can hit just as well as almost anyone in the game today.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:19 pm

his balls are small due to excessive steroid use.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:10 am

Doesn't he have to have MORE surgery before 2010? :-?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers