Adam LaRoche traded to Red Sox - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Adam LaRoche traded to Red Sox

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Adam LaRoche traded to Red Sox

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:38 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Boston radio is speculating that Manny DelCarmen has been traded to the Bucs in exchange for LaRoche. Not sure I like that deal at all.

Nah, shouldn't be. Delcarmen goes to arbitration after '09 I think. That's not a cheap enough player for the Pirates.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amatter32 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:03 pm

THis report says http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/212888/report-red-sox-acquire-adam-laroche Delcarmen is not involved. I hope it is a player I heard of in return, possibly a AA since I go to their games.
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:04 pm

Ken Rosenthal writes:

The Pirates have traded first baseman Adam LaRoche to the Boston Red Sox, FOXSports.com has confirmed.

In return, the Pirates will receive minor league shortstop Argenis Diaz and one other still unknown prospect.
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette first reported the trade Wednesday.

LaRoche is hitting .247 with 12 home runs and 40 RBIs this season. He is in his sixth major league season, spending the first three with the Braves before joining the Pirates in 2007.

Diaz, 22, is batting .253 with a .309 on-base percentage and .310 slugging percentage for the Red Sox's Class AA affiliate in Portland, Maine.

RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:04 pm

Amatter32 wrote:THis report says http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/212888/report-red-sox-acquire-adam-laroche Delcarmen is not involved. I hope it is a player I heard of in return, possibly a AA since I go to their games.

Heard of Diaz?
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:06 pm

WEEI reporting that Hunter Strickland is also headed to the Bucs.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Hunter Strickland scouting report, courtesy of SoxProspects:

Scouting Report: Tall righty with projectable frame. Fastball sits about 88-91 mph, topping out around 93. Fastball is a little flat, but shows some good movement when he takes something off of it. Strickland has a slow, easy delivery without much explosion at the moment. Good balance. Also works in a 79-82 mph slurve along with a change that sits at 83-85 mph. Changeup could stand to have some more separation from his fastball, look for that to be an area of improvement in 2009.Repeats delivery well, needs to work on his release point to improve his command. His father played in the Tigers organization.

Argenis Diaz scouting report, courtesy of SoxProspects:

Scouting Report: Diaz is an elite defensive shortstop, and if he improves his concentration on routine plays, he could compete for a gold glove in the bigs right now. He has plus range, excellent footing, an impressive glove, and an outstanding arm. Makes impossible plays in the field. However, he does make a lot of errors on off-the-mark long throws off of grounders that he has no business getting to in the first place. He also really struggles with routine plays on occasion, almost as if he has a mental block. That is a definite area in need of improvement. The other key for Diaz is how much he will hit. He's a slap hitter with below average to average on base ability and without much power, but he's swung the bat very well during a few prolonged stints here and there. Good bat speed through the zone. Struggles with advanced off-speed stuff. Can show lack of plate discipline in stretches. Hits lefties significantly better than righties. Excellent at laying down bunts. Won't steal a lot of bases.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amatter32 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:09 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
Amatter32 wrote:THis report says http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/212888/report-red-sox-acquire-adam-laroche Delcarmen is not involved. I hope it is a player I heard of in return, possibly a AA since I go to their games.

Heard of Diaz?

Yeah, he is a defensive SS in AA. Whoo hoo...
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:09 pm

This is disappointing, I had hopes that Teahen would be a possible target of the Red Sox.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:11 pm

Deal is close, according to WEEI.com. LaRoche was spotted in the Bucs dugout 15 minutes ago so maybe they are just finalizing some small detail.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:12 pm

Another underwhelming return for the Pirates. :-S
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero