Dexter Fowler - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dexter Fowler

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dexter Fowler

Postby C2ThaLo88 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:25 am

After slumping in the 2nd and 3rd month or so of the season, he's playing fairly consistent but showing no real power (although he homered last night) but still displaying decent speed, 11 steals (I think) over the past month. His Avg is under .250 and he still strikes out more than he walks, but Jason Gray from ESPN is pretty high on this kid and wrote a nice article on him earlier in the year (right before his 5 SB game). I don't get to watch much Rockies games, but for those that have been paying attention and keeping an eye on him, what are your thoughts? He sounds like he's the kind of kid you want to cheer for. I recently dropped him to grab Rasmus, but I'm thinking of going back to Fowler in my keeper league but it would mean someone like Rios, Drew, Gordon, or Hart would not be kept. Do you think he'll turn into a 5 cat stud? Or is he going to be another Rios who can't quite put all this tools together?
C2ThaLo88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dexter Fowler

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:10 pm

I've said time and again hat he's going to be the next Carl Crawford, but with a significantly higher OBP. Ask me for a 23 year old leadoff man with a 14.4% BB rate (20th in the league) and I'll give you a very short list. The next highest BB rate among guys Fowler's age or younger is J. Upton at 10% (43rd overall). He's playing decent baseball right now but if his .946 OPS in AA last year is any indication, the kid has superstar written all over him.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:34 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:I've said time and again hat he's going to be the next Carl Crawford, but with a significantly higher OBP. Ask me for a 23 year old leadoff man with a 14.4% BB rate (20th in the league) and I'll give you a very short list. The next highest BB rate among guys Fowler's age or younger is J. Upton at 10% (43rd overall). He's playing decent baseball right now but if his .946 OPS in AA last year is any indication, the kid has superstar written all over him.

You really think he has Crawford's speed? I own him in a keeper so I'm pretty high on him but always saw Fowler as more of a Abreu type hitter.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby Element » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:50 pm

When I watch Fowler, I see more BJ Upton than anyone else. And at 6' 4", he should fill out a bit. If he can cut down on his strike outs, he's going to be a force.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 632)

Postby fbc_fan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:10 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:I've said time and again hat he's going to be the next Carl Crawford, but with a significantly higher OBP. Ask me for a 23 year old leadoff man with a 14.4% BB rate (20th in the league) and I'll give you a very short list. The next highest BB rate among guys Fowler's age or younger is J. Upton at 10% (43rd overall). He's playing decent baseball right now but if his .946 OPS in AA last year is any indication, the kid has superstar written all over him.

You really think he has Crawford's speed? I own him in a keeper so I'm pretty high on him but always saw Fowler as more of a Abreu type hitter.

yes. the dude is uber fast. neato is correct here, and i have made the comparison before, he is essentially crawford with obp skills. he'll be a fixture in center for the rockies for years.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:16 pm

fbc_fan wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

yes. the dude is uber fast. neato is correct here, and i have made the comparison before, he is essentially crawford with obp skills. he'll be a fixture in center for the rockies for years.

2 years then they'll trade him for garbage.

He's awesome though. Stewart is more exciting from the Power Side IMO.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers