pushing trades through - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

pushing trades through

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

pushing trades through

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:54 am

i am not commish of the league in question, but i am and have been commish of a few leagues in my day

this particular league has commish veto power, and the league settings call for a 2 day league veto time(which true is more valid in league veto...but still its something)

earlier in the season a trade that a lot of us thought was fishy came up, involving the last place team giving up a top 20 player to the 2nd place for crappy closers(fishy bc none of us really knew those two and the league counts holds...thus making then crappy closers even worse). both parties spoke up and stated they wanted the trade to go through and gave semi valid reasonings behind the trade(i still think the last place team got hosed...but you have to let them manage their own teams)

the final verdict was the commish let the trade go through based on both parties wanting it and valid reasons.

so now what he does is as soon as a trade is accepted, he contacts both parties, gets their input, and if it sounds good he pushes it through then...with no discussion period or hearing anybody's thoughts. most recently today. i accepted a trade 10 mins ago, and its reflected on my team for tomorrow's lineup.

hey, fine by me...i get my guys tomorrow.....but shouldnt he at least wait a day or two just in case the league has concerns

to me its just bad business and can lead to some bad things if you take what i see as a dictatorship approach to it

commish veto does not mean only commish's thoughts welcome. imo you take in the league's thoughts and make a desicion based on what the league thinks

it has come up before, and is coming up again about his way of pushing through trades so quickly...so i figured id get teh cafe's thoughts

thanks
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: pushing trades through

Postby jackie hayes » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:53 am

It's really his choice, so I don't know that he has to listen to the league. Though it would be a nice thing to do...

I'm a stickler for the rules, so I would say that if the rules call for a 2-day waiting period, there should be no roster changes before those two days are up. But if the rules are simply, 'The commish has 2 days to veto and if he doesn't, the trade goes through', without saying that it must be two days, then it seems kosher.

Probably it's just a difference of interpretation. If you want to bring it up, that would be fine, but I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. It seems innocent enough.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: pushing trades through

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:12 am

meh...if he's fair and impartial i dont have much of an issue with it, although a 3 team trade committee is preferred

i play in a few leagues where trades go through as soon as they are accepted. NOTE: it really helps to know all the people in the league, and if any funny stuff was to go through there will be a huge backlash from the league
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner