Midseason Top 45 Prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Midseason Top 45 Prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Midseason Top 50 Prospects

Postby FouLLine » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:05 pm

1 Justin Smoak TEX – 1B: Way too high. He is struggling mighty hard in AAA he didn't even slug .500 in AA.

2 Jason Heyward ATL – OF: Has to be a top 3 prospect at this point in my eyes. Super young with great discipline in AA.

3 Steven Strasburg WAS – SP: Unsigned as of now, but if he did sign you'd think he'd have to be #1?

4 Brian Matusz BAL – SP: I have trouble ranking my higher than Chris Tillman personally. Still an easy top 10 prospect to me.

5 Jesus Montero NYY – C: Gotta love this guy, should be ranked higher than Posey at this point.

6 Buster Posey SF – C: Probably a bit high of a ranking for him at the mid season point. Another player who has been set back by AAA pitching so far.

7 Madison Bumgarner SF – SP: Should be ranked higher. I would put him ahead of Smoak, Matusz, and probably Montero.

8 Chris Tillman BAL – SP: Another guy who is a bit too low. I'd have him ahead of Posey, Matusz, and Montero. He's more than a year younger than Matusz but pitching a whole level higher.

9 Mike Stanton FLA – OF: Based on pure cieling I'd put him higher than Smoak, Matusz, and Tillman. I am fairly certain he's the youngest hitter in AA.

10 Jarrod Parker ARI – SP: His last year's second half numbers had me drooling... So far his 1 second half start wasn't that great.

11 Pedro Alvarez PIT – 3B: Another guy who is a bit too high for me as well. But hey he's starting to rake in AA. He's hitting .400 with 2 bombs in his last 8 games.

12 Carlos Santana CLE – C: Struggling horribly in July... Talks he may get moved out of the C position as well... But he is in my top 10 - 15 range.

13 Yonder Alonso CIN – 1B: I like Yonder Alonso a lot, he seems to be the poor man's version of Justin Smoak. But he shouldn't be ranked higher than Desmond Jennings, Dominic Brown, or Micheal Taylor in my opinion.

14 Desmond Jennings TB – OF: He's in my top 10 for sure. The guy is looking like the next Carl Crawford.

15 Tim Alderson SF – SP: I like Tim Alderson to be in the top 25 but he doesn't get enough K's for me to put him in my top 15. I would drop him down quite a bit.

16 Logan Morrison FLA – 1B: The plate discipline is there but the power and batting average is lacking. I'd drop him down quite a bit as well.

17 Dominic Brown PHI – OF: Has great upside and the phillies love him. He's showing 25 HR 30 SB potential in high A ball.

18 Jordan Lyles HOU – SP: His numbers are looking to be a step below what Madison Bumgarner did last year. I rank him higher than Alderson, Morrison, and Alonso... Maybe even Carlos Santana (but that might be a bit excessive).

19 Jhouyls Chacin COL – SP: Crazy sinkerballer. The guy has Brandon Webb comparisons but his numbers are looking far advanced from what Brandon Webb's were at Chacin's age. I'd put him above Alderson, Morrison, and Alonso too.

20 Mike Taylor PHI – OF: Micheal Taylor and Dominic Brown are so close to me. I initially had Taylor with the leg up due to his crazy 30/30 pace in AA. But with his recent AAA set backs I'd rank him right below Dominic Brown.

21 Brett Wallace STL – 3B: Him producing solid numbers in AAA makes me rank him higher than Morrison and Alonso. After an insane college season followed by a monster AFL Brett Wallace has yet to really put up huge minor league numbers. But they are very solid for his age at his level nonetheless. I think he will get really hot here soon.

22 Christian Friedrich COL – SP: I would personally jump this guy at least 5 rankings. He has a higher cieling than Alderson just due to his nasty K potential.

23 Jake Arrieta BAL – SP: Very close the majors doesn't project to have as big of a cieling as the other pitchers above him but he is close to his potential.

24 Hector Rondon CLE – SP: Has a better cieling than Arrieta. Two years younger yet putting up better numbers at the same level. I'd move Rondon up a few spots. He should probably be ranked 1 or 2 prospects higher than Friedrich.

25 Carlos Carrasco PHI – SP: Projects to have #2 - #3 type stuff. I'd drop him down a fair amount just due to the lack of cieling.

26 Tim Beckham TB – SS: Just due to his raw potential I'd rank him a bit higher. Probably put him above Carrasco, Arrieta, Morrison, and Alonso. He hasn't put up the monster numbers but he is more than holding his own as a 19 year old hitter in A ball.



I was going to go through name by name with a short analysis of where I'd rank them about. But I'm running low on time, I'll revisit to finish later.
FouLLine
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 59
Joined: 19 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Midseason Top 50 Prospects

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Quick question. Is this fantasy based? I assume it is because if its not then you gotta boost every pitcher up about 5 spots because in reality pitching is worth far more than offense.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8512
(Past Year: 116)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Midseason Top 50 Prospects

Postby oddmanout7 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:19 am

Havok1517 wrote:Quick question. Is this fantasy based? I assume it is because if its not then you gotta boost every pitcher up about 5 spots because in reality pitching is worth far more than offense.


Well of course it is. :-D
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3935
Joined: 3 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Midseason Top 50 Prospects

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:36 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Quick question. Is this fantasy based? I assume it is because if its not then you gotta boost every pitcher up about 5 spots because in reality pitching is worth far more than offense.


I would love to hear the rationale that backs that statement up. That's baseball hyperbole at its finest. :-b
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13710
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Re: Midseason Top 50 Prospects

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:56 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Quick question. Is this fantasy based? I assume it is because if its not then you gotta boost every pitcher up about 5 spots because in reality pitching is worth far more than offense.


I would love to hear the rationale that backs that statement up. That's baseball hyperbole at its finest. :-b


Pitching wins championships and quality pitching is far harder to find and often too valuable to give up in reality. In fantasy, the bats go 1st.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8512
(Past Year: 116)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Midseason Top 50 Prospects

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:22 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Quick question. Is this fantasy based? I assume it is because if its not then you gotta boost every pitcher up about 5 spots because in reality pitching is worth far more than offense.


I would love to hear the rationale that backs that statement up. That's baseball hyperbole at its finest. :-b


Pitching wins championships and quality pitching is far harder to find and often too valuable to give up in reality.


Heh. You're backing up hyperbole with more hyperbole? I love it.

Actually, scoring more runs than the other team wins championships, no matter whether it's through scoring or run prevention. And every day players are decidedly more valuable than pitchers, because not only do they play every day, but they impact both run scoring and run prevention.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13710
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Re: Midseason Top 50 Prospects

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:41 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
I would love to hear the rationale that backs that statement up. That's baseball hyperbole at its finest. :-b


Pitching wins championships and quality pitching is far harder to find and often too valuable to give up in reality.


Heh. You're backing up hyperbole with more hyperbole? I love it.

Actually, scoring more runs than the other team wins championships, no matter whether it's through scoring or run prevention. And every day players are decidedly more valuable than pitchers, because not only do they play every day, but they impact both run scoring and run prevention.


ding dong you're wrong lol :-D
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8512
(Past Year: 116)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Midseason Top 50 Prospects

Postby Big Pimpin » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:56 am

Havok1517 wrote:ding dong you're wrong lol :-D


Heh. If you want to argue that run prevention is more important than scoring, you might have an argument. I might even not disagree with you. But there's much more to that than pitching. Take the AL leaders in ERA so far, my own Mariners, who boast a middle of the pack pitching staff but one of the best defenses in baseball. But as soon as you break out something like ERA to defend your position, you'll be done for. :-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13710
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Re: Midseason Top 50 Prospects

Postby FouLLine » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:55 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
I would love to hear the rationale that backs that statement up. That's baseball hyperbole at its finest. :-b


Pitching wins championships and quality pitching is far harder to find and often too valuable to give up in reality.


Heh. You're backing up hyperbole with more hyperbole? I love it.

Actually, scoring more runs than the other team wins championships, no matter whether it's through scoring or run prevention. And every day players are decidedly more valuable than pitchers, because not only do they play every day, but they impact both run scoring and run prevention.


Hyperbole is not the correct literal term you are trying to use here... I'm not sure what is, but hyperbole is surely not it. A hyperbole is an intentional and extreme exaggeration used to prove a point. Such as, "Wow, that took forever." When in fact this statement would ever be true unless it was being used to describe an eternity. That guy was obviously being serious.

"Pitching wins championships" would be more of a baseball cliche than anything. There is nothing with in that statement that was an intentional exaggeration.
FouLLine
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 59
Joined: 19 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Midseason Top 50 Prospects

Postby mblax10 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:07 pm

FouLLine wrote:Hyperbole is not the correct literal term you are trying to use here... I'm not sure what is, but hyperbole is surely not it. A hyperbole is an intentional and extreme exaggeration used to prove a point. Such as, "Wow, that took forever." When in fact this statement would ever be true unless it was being used to describe an eternity. That guy was obviously being serious.

"Pitching wins championships" would be more of a baseball cliche than anything. There is nothing with in that statement that was an intentional exaggeration.


Shh. You're right, but I still can't wait to hear how pitching wins championships.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 422
Joined: 20 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Sep. 19
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Boston at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Chi White Sox at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
NY Mets at Atlanta
(7:35 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Seattle at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(8:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Philadelphia at Oakland
(9:35 pm)
Texas at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact