2009 September call ups - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

2009 September call ups

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2009 September call ups

Postby gchiefs85 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:48 pm

i have the #1 waiver in my keeper league and was wondering what impact players might get the call up come september?
gchiefs85
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2009 September call ups

Postby nutjobs » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:20 am

Justin Smoak, Jarrod Parker, Brian Matusz just to name a few i see getting the call
nutjobs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gchiefs85 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:33 pm

what about Heyward, Jennings,Alvarez,Posey or Strasburg?
gchiefs85
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby J35J » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:53 pm

Seems like anymore its hard to say who will get the call or not. I wouldn't have ever imagined Porcello would have made it up so soon...or Andrus....Holland got rushed through AA and AAA much quicker than I thought he would....Cahill and Anderson starting the year in the rotation was a suprise....etc

Anyway, it seems its more about what the organization is willing to do more than how old the player is and how he is performing.....for example I wouldn't dare want Heyward or Parker to see anything more than a cup a tea at the end of the season, if even that, if they were on my team...just not the way I'd go about it.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:17 pm

J35J wrote:Seems like anymore its hard to say who will get the call or not. I wouldn't have ever imagined Porcello would have made it up so soon...or Andrus....Holland got rushed through AA and AAA much quicker than I thought he would....Cahill and Anderson starting the year in the rotation was a suprise....etc

Anyway, it seems its more about what the organization is willing to do more than how old the player is and how he is performing.....for example I wouldn't dare want Heyward or Parker to see anything more than a cup a tea at the end of the season, if even that, if they were on my team...just not the way I'd go about it.

Yep, not sure who could get a call. Posey would seem like the guy with the best chance but if Smoak gets going in AAA then he could as well. Strasburg isn't likely at all. He still hasn't signed and I am betting that the Nats aren't going to rush him straight into the majors.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby FouLLine » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:24 am

Here's a list of prospects I think are the closest to the bigs, most of who should be up even before September.

Alcides Escobar SS MIL - Hardy was starting to heat up but is cooling down again... keep an eye on that.

Chris Tillman SP BAL - Could be up before August.

Matt LaPorta OF CLE - He's been crushing in July... He should be up before September as well.

Chris Davis 1B/3B TEX - Should get re-promoted before September. Nelson Cruz's broken finger won't hurt his case, even though Cruz is playing through it.

Steve Pearce OF/1B PIT - He's crushing the ball over the past month... Had a super small stint in the majors Adam LaRoche trade now allows Garrett Jones to play 1B full time. This would then give Steve Pearce a shot at an every day OF spot. He'd be competing with Brandon Moss for RF. Could also be Jones' back up first basemen.

Lastings Millegde OF PIT - He could also get the call... I'd think that Steve Pearce is a bit ahead of Milledge right now just due to the fact that Milledge was in rookie ball not too long ago as well as Pearce is flat out hitting better.
FouLLine
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby daullaz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:43 am

Keep an eye out for Kila Ka'aihue. Not only might he get the call, but with Mike Jacobs being dreadful, Kila could be in line for significant playing time.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:45 am

FouLLine wrote:Here's a list of prospects I think are the closest to the bigs, most of who should be up even before September.

Steve Pearce OF/1B PIT - He's crushing the ball over the past month... Had a super small stint in the majors Adam LaRoche trade now allows Garrett Jones to play 1B full time. This would then give Steve Pearce a shot at an every day OF spot. He'd be competing with Brandon Moss for RF. Could also be Jones' back up first basemen.

Hey Nostradamus... ;-) :-)

Wed, Jul 22

1B/OF Steve Pearce will be recalled from Class AAA Indianapolis on Thursday night and is expected to get the majority of starts at first base following the trade of 1B Adam LaRoche to Boston on Wednesday. Pearce, 26, is hitting .287 with 13 homers and 54 RBIs in 76 games at Indianapolis. He also spent three weeks with the Pirates earlier this season and went 1-for-12 (.083) with six strikeouts in nine games.
(Yahoo! Sports)
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:30 pm

daullaz wrote:Keep an eye out for Kila Ka'aihue. Not only might he get the call, but with Mike Jacobs being dreadful, Kila could be in line for significant playing time.

Kila is already a FA in most fantasy leagues and therefore wouldn't have to be used as a waiver wire pick up.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby daullaz » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:03 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
daullaz wrote:Keep an eye out for Kila Ka'aihue. Not only might he get the call, but with Mike Jacobs being dreadful, Kila could be in line for significant playing time.

Kila is already a FA in most fantasy leagues and therefore wouldn't have to be used as a waiver wire pick up.

As are several other names listed above. I figured we were just throwing out potential September call-ups.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball