Alien clouds poised to strike Seattle - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Alien clouds poised to strike Seattle

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Alien clouds poised to strike Seattle

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:34 pm

In the late 70s or early 80s there was a night where the aurora borealis was visible in Nebraska. My sister FREAKED OUT when she saw it, and made the whole house jump out of bed. I only vaguely remember some weird colors in the sky, but that's about it. I had some funky dreams about those lights later in my childhood, and I remember those vividly.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:37 pm

knapplc wrote:It's Global Warming, and it's terribly frightening because the ideal temperature for this planet is within a few degrees either side of what we've observed for the last 200-ish years, and ANY variation from that "norm" will kill us all.

If there are hills near you, run for them now.

I wish they'd send some of that Global Warming to the northeast, where it hasn't gotten above 85 all summer, and has rained every 5 out of 7 days. :~(
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:40 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
knapplc wrote:It's Global Warming, and it's terribly frightening because the ideal temperature for this planet is within a few degrees either side of what we've observed for the last 200-ish years, and ANY variation from that "norm" will kill us all.

I wish they'd send some of that Global Warming to the northeast, where it hasn't gotten above 85 all summer, and has rained every 5 out of 7 days. :~(

For you it's called Climate Change, and it's equally as bad. The world CANNOT tolerate variances in temperature, NOT ONE BIT. No life has ever survived on this planet when the median temp was a few degrees higher or lower than it is RIGHT THIS INSTANT.

I'm not trying to scare you. It's science. And you're going to die, h0rt. Sorry. :-/
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:04 pm

knapplc wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

For you it's called Climate Change, and it's equally as bad. The world CANNOT tolerate variances in temperature, NOT ONE BIT. No life has ever survived on this planet when the median temp was a few degrees higher or lower than it is RIGHT THIS INSTANT.

I'm not trying to scare you. It's science. And you're going to die, h0rt. Sorry. :-/

My Magic 8 Ball just told me otherwise. :^
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:14 pm

For a good time, read the comments below the Wired story on these clouds. They're chock full of psycho nonsense from both sides of the "debate." :-b
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:27 pm

knapplc wrote:No life has ever survived on this planet when the median temp was a few degrees higher or lower than it is RIGHT THIS INSTANT.

You're insane. Global temperatures, and even atmospheric conditions, were massively different throughout many of the periods when dinosaurs were around and even before them, when live was mainly in the form of large plants.

Cretaceous Climate

First, the temperature gradient from North to South became almost flat -- much more so than would be predicted from ocean circulation models. In other words, average temperatures were about the same everywhere on Earth, from the poles to the equator. Second, average temperatures were much higher than today, probably by about 10C°. Higher CO2 (carbon dioxide) levels certainly played a part, but the paleoclimate data do not match theoretical predictions.

Life as we know it has not been built for massive variations from where we are now, but life, in general, is more than capable of existing in much more extreme conditions than what exist now.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby JTWood » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:29 pm

Wait... Is my sarcasm detector malfunctioning again?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:31 pm

JTWood wrote:Wait... Is my sarcasm detector malfunctioning again?

Hey Rainman, what time is Wapner on?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:44 pm

JTWood wrote:Wait... Is my sarcasm detector malfunctioning again?

Yes. But I am insane, if that makes you feel any better. :-b
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:03 pm

Will these be "Pleasure aliens?"
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment